SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Purity in the Summertime!!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

We work out our own salvation but it is GOD WHO WORKS IN YOU. It's a joint fellowship/cooperation thing.

You're never left to yourself to fight the flesh.

To be "tempted" is not sin, and as Dohzman well said, a bird can land on your head but we invite the nest making there.

Job said:Job 31:1 I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?

That's your part of the deal ... DON'T LOOK.

It was David's second or prolonged look, that got him in trouble with Bethsheba.

You can be guaranteed, that things will only get worse and worse, until Jesus Returns, so this is good boot camp in faith now.

We conquer sin by FAITH.
Faith that HE has His Hand on us, Faith that He will never allow us to be tempted beyond what we are able to bear and will give a way of escape and that He is an ever present help in the time of trouble and that the good work that HE began in you He will bring to completion. ETC..

Now if you try to combat this thing alone - without the Faith in all that He's promised to us His children .... it will only be like trying to hold a beach ball under water. Eventually you will tire or it will slip.

But if you make that covenant with God about what you look at ... He honors that and each time to side for HIM, His Faith is strengthened in you.

We need not hide in the hills come summer time ... but just pray without ceasing, asking God to direct where we go and what we do on our computers and if you can, knock off the TV.

Garbage in - garbage out, they say ... but Jesus said, if we sow to the flesh - that's what we'll reap from.
But if we sow to the Spirit, then we'll certainly reap from the Spirit.

I can stay on the Computer for up to 16 hours just reading good Christian stuff and have never yet even accidently run across anything bad.

T.V. has commercials, despite even if it's just the News.

If we do our part, He does more.

In my old Church, they used to say "You take one step - He takes two" ... where it comes to sanctification.

I'd advise reading Hebrews 11 to understand all the more how FAITH is what this whole walk is about.

And these two verses that follow.

Heb 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Heb 12:2 [u]Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith[/u]; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

It's impossible to be "Looking unto Jesus" and be looking elsewhere at the same time. :-)

There are tons of faith building verses, that speak of "HIS WORK" IN US ... that makes you realize you're not alone to do this ... but must lean in faith in those promises of His provisions toward making us what He planned for us to be from the foundations.

When Peter almost went under the water, attempting to walk toward the Lord, he cried out "Lord help" ... and it says and "Immediately" Jesus reached out his hand to Peter to pull him out.

If all you can do is yell out in each situation "Lord Jesus Help Me !" ... and mean it with all the faith and heart you have ... just watch HIM MOVE. :-D Been there-Done that !

HE is faithful. Believe that HE is making all of us stronger for the days ahead ... because HE is ... if we'll just trust HIM and HIS Word. :-)

2006/4/24 3:48
roadsign

Re: Growing into God-centeredness

Quote:
When Peter almost went under the water, attempting to walk toward the Lord, he cried out "Lord help" ... and it says and "Immediately" Jesus reached out his hand to Peter to pull him ..

This is a good illustration to use. I just heard a sermon by Earnest O’neill about various issues of temptation. He used three examples: A girl in a bikini, an approaching funnel cloud, and a call to dinner.

All of these things are part of God’s creation: The girl is someone’s precious daughter, a dear person whom God loves. The funnel cloud is God’s creation gone wacky, but yet it under God’s control. The food is also of God. Yet all these things can become bigger than God in our minds, and so we respond in sinful ways – desire, fear, distraction, or whatever.

O’Neill goes on to point out: When a man looks at a women in a bikini and only thinks about a satisfaction HE can gain, or when we look at a funnel cloud and only think of the potential danger it is to us, or when food is brought to our mind, and we can only think of the gratification it gives us, then we are ME-centered, and not God-centered. The challenge is to let God work in us to bring all these into subjection to the Spirit.

Then we start to have a heart for that girl – she becomes more than a desirable object, she has an eternal soul, she needs the Lord, he died for her. We think about HER needs, not our issues.

Then the funnel cloud doesn’t throw us into a panic, because we trust that God is BIGGER than it. We trust God himself to guide us to safety.

Then food doesn’t master us, but we master it, and use it, not to gratify our cravings, but to sustain us for God’s glory.

Trying to conquor temptation can become a constant self-focused endevour. We will remain in defeat as long as we are centered on OURSELVES:

Quote:
it will only be like trying to hold a beach ball under water. Eventually you will tire or it will slip.

Diane

2006/4/24 9:11Profile
roadsign

Re: flee

I feel I need to add a balancing thought to my last post:

While we cannot prevent all tempting situations that suddenly come at us, we are indeed called to flee the places/situations of perpetual sin:
”... flee from idolatry” (1 Corinthians 10:14)
”Flee fornication” (1 Corinthians 6:18)
”... flee these things ...” (1 Timothy 6:11) (love of money and worldly pursuits, and ”disputes of words” (6:4)
”Flee also youthful lusts ...” (2 Timothy 2:22)

Not only are we to flee, Jesus also calls us to radically cut off something within ourselves that causes us to stumble: cut off you hand, eye, etc. So, while we may try to make rules for everyone to dress sensibly, or we may avoid the beaches, we still must take responsibility for our own lusts – radical crucifixion. And that takes me back to what was said earlier – be conformed to Christ.

Diane

2006/4/24 10:14Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

It is the time of season especially at this time when it seems to get worse and worse.

he King James Version (Authorized)
- Study This Chapter

1 The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. 2 For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.

3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? 4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. 5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation. 6 This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob. F74 Selah.

7 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. 8 Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle. 9 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. 10 Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.

I need prayer for purity and anger and hypocrisy. In this culture things are getting worse and worse and I believe that a sinless life is possible.
This is a hard subject
Dom

2006/5/30 17:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy