SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : In the Fellowship of His Sufferings

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

This thread is one of the best.

God have mercy on us...persecution is at the doors of the USA.

What brave words we speak now, what words will we speak then?
If we are cowards before the fiery furnace, will we find faith after we are thrown in?

2017/11/29 22:42Profile

Re:

▪▪▪
God have mercy on us...persecution is at the doors of the USA.

What brave words we speak now, what words will we speak then?
If we are cowards before the fiery furnace, will we find faith after we are thrown in?

▪▪▪

Brother I'm reminded of a story from Corrie Ten Boom. She was remarking to her father that she did not believe she would have the strength to become a martyr. Her father asked her. "Corey when do I give you the money to get the ticket when we go to Amsterdam on the train?" Corey replies as soon as we board the train. Her father said then God will give you the strength when you need it to be a martyr.

I'm not sure if that was the actual exchange of words that took place. But what Corey learned from her father's illustration that God would give her strength when she needed it to go through trials and tribulations. Her biography certainly reflected that in the suffering she endured in the German prison.

We certainly see that strength displayed in our brothers and sisters who are in the shadow of the cross in hostilev nations. We certainly have seen God's strength displayed though our brothers and sisters as they have endured their tragedy in Sutherland Texas.

I believe that when we are faced with the fiery furnace then God will give us the grace to endure the trials that surely await us. More and more I'm learning that it is only because of Jesus that we can do anything for Him. For Jesus said apart from Me you can do nothing. But our brother Paul writing from prison said I can do all things through Jesus who strengthens me.

And again. Only because of Jesus

Blaine

2017/11/30 8:51

Re: Recieving God's Strength When Persecuted

Thurs. Morning 
Nov. 30, 2017

Jesus tells us he who endures to the end will be saved. Will we be one of those enduring.  Will we be one of those clinging to Jesus. Will we be able to endure the persecutions or imprisonment that will surely come up on us for standing for Jesus in this nation. Will we be able to endure a johadist if he attempts to slicer our co-workers at work. Will we be able to endure a gunman if he comes into our place of worship.

The following story below should answer any of the questions that we may be asking.

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

When we hear of fellow Christians facing intense persecution and even martyrdom in various parts of the world we sometimes wonder how they can bear up under it. We may contemplate whether or not we would stand strong in our Christian faith if subjected to such horrific treatment. Incidents from the life and ministry of Corrie ten Boom are instructive:

Corrie was once ministering in a small African country where a new government had come to power. Just that week the new regime had begun secretly, systematically putting Christians to death. As the people gathered at the little church where she was to speak that Sunday, fear and tension was written on every face.

Corrie first read to them 1 Peter 4:12-14 (Phillips Translation): “And now, dear friends of mine, I beg you not to be unduly alarmed at the fiery ordeals which come to test your faith, as though this were some abnormal experience. You should be glad, because it means you are called to share Christ’s sufferings. One day, when He shows Himself in full splendor to men, you will be filled with the most tremendous joy. If you are reproached for being Christ’s followers, that is a great privilege, for you can be sure that God’s Spirit of glory is resting upon you.”

Corrie ten Boom

Closing her Bible, Corrie proceeded to relate a conversation that took place between she and her father when she was a little girl. “Daddy,” she had said one day, “I am afraid that I will never be strong enough to be a martyr for Jesus Christ.”

“Tell me,” her father wisely responded, “when you take a train trip from Haarlem to Amsterdam, when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?”

“No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train.”

“That is right,” he replied, “and so it is with God’s strength. Our wise Father in heaven knows when you are going to need things too. Today you do not need the strength to be a martyr. But as soon as you are called upon for the honor of facing death for Jesus, He will supply the strength you need—just in time.”

“I took great comfort in my father’s advice,” Corrie told her audience. “Later I had to suffer for Jesus in a [Nazi] concentration camp. He indeed gave me all the courage and power I needed.”

“Tell us more, Tante Corrie,” one grizzled old member of the congregation spoke up. All were listening intently, seeking to store up truth that would strengthen them for the day of trial.

So she shared an incident that had taken place at Ravensbruck. A group of fellow prisoners had approached her, asking her to tell them some Bible stories. The camp guards called the Bible das Lugenbuch—the book of lies. Death by cruel punishment had been promised for any prisoner who was found possessing a Bible or talking about the Lord. Despite her awareness of those potential consequences, Corrie retrieved her Bible and started teaching from the Scripture.

Suddenly she was aware of a figure behind her. One of the prisoners silently mouthed the words, “Hide your Bible. It’s Lony.”

Corrie knew Lony well. She was among the cruelest of all the women guards. Corrie, however, felt she had to obey God who had so clearly guided her to bring a Bible message to the prisoners that morning. Lony remained motionless behind her as she finished her teaching.

Corrie then said, “Let’s now sing a hymn of praise.” She could see the worried, anxious looks on the faces of the prisoners. Before it had been only her speaking but now they, too, were being asked to join her in singing. But Corrie believed God wanted them to be bold, even in the face of the enemy. So they sang.

When the hymn came to an end, Lony instructed, “Another song like that one.” She had enjoyed the singing and wanted to hear more. Heartened, the prisoners sang song after song. Afterwards Corrie even went to Lony and spoke to her about her need for Christ as her Savior.

“Let me tell you what I learned from that experience,” she now told her African audience. “I knew that every word I said could mean death.   Yet never before had I felt such peace and joy in my heart as while I was giving the Bible message in the presence of mine enemy. God gave me the grace and power I needed—the money for the train ticket arrived just the moment I was to step on the train.”

When the meeting came to a close the nationals stood to leave. The fear and anxiety was gone from their faces. Once again joy shown on their countenances and their hearts seemed filled with peace. Softly in the back of the room someone began singing an old gospel song:

There’s a land that is fairer than day,

And by faith we can see it afar.

For the Father waits over the way,

To prepare us a dwelling place there.

In the sweet by and by, we shall meet on that beautiful shore,

In the sweet by and by, we shall meet on that beautiful shore.

Corrie was later told that more than half the Christians who attended that service subsequently met a martyr’s death.

If you know any Christians who are currently facing persecution, perhaps you could encourage them by sharing this story with them. This and a number of other true stories on Christians standing strong in their faith despite strong opposition can be found in the chapter on “Adversity” in my Timeless Stories book.

Copyright 2014 by Vance E. Christie

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

What will we do when persecution or affliction strike?  How will we respond? How does a soldier respond when a grenade lands in front of his comrades?  A soldier will not think but yell grenade and throw himself on the explosive device to protect his comrades. He doesn't think. He just responds.   And of course the soldier lays down his life for his friends.

A story is told about a pastor who was walking down a dark street one night in Canada. He saw a young woman being abducted and pulled into an alley. Hearing her screams the pastor not thinking about his own life ran down the alley shouting "Do not take her take me!"  "Do not take her take me!"  The attacker was so stsrtled by the pastor running down the alley shouting he let the young woman go and fled.

Joanne Ward of Sutherland Springs Texas did not think but reacted to cover her three children when bullets were sprayed in First Baptist Church.  Two of her children survived by her actions. she laid down her life for her family. Video below describes her heroic sacrifice below.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/article183045781.html

Amanda Blackburn was a young 28 year old mother pregnant with her second child. She was the wife of Davey Blackburn. He was a pastor of a church in Indiana.

As Davey Blackburn left to go work out at a nearby gym. A gunman entered the Blackburn home. Amanda Blackburn not thinking of her own life threw herself at the gunman to protect her one-year-old child. The result was she and the child she carried were slain. But the one year old infant was safe. She did not think of herself but reacted just as Joanne Ward did to save her children.

Cassie Bernall, a young Littleton high school student had a gun pointed at her by a demonic crazed gunman. The gunmen asked her do you believe in Jesus. Knowing her yes answer would send her into eternity to be with Christ she said yes. Again she did not hesitate but gave the answer that took her life.

At a college in Rosebud Oregon 10 people were asked their religion by another demonic crazed gunman. When they said they believed in Christ they were blown away into eternity.

History past and present tells  us how believers have responded in the face of persecution and even martyrdom.  They did not rehearse any heroic actions or speeches.  They simply acted as God gave them grace in that hour.

We  need not be anxious what we will say or what we will do in the face of persecution or perhaps even our own martyrdom. Where Jesus has promised His Holy Spirit will give us the words and the wisdom of what to do. Let us take heart from the story of Corrie ten boom that God will give us grace to act when the hour requires it.  For this has surely been the testimony of our brothers and sisters who are in the fellowship of His sufferings.

Only because of Jesus.

Blaine

2017/11/30 11:46

Re: The Power of Prayer

Thurs. Eve.
Nov. 30, 2017

Prayer is our Lifeline to God. Prayer is the lifeline of the persecuted church.  Video below where brother Andrew shares about the power of prayer.

https://youtu.be/GPKxz9Ufvpg

Video below where Richard Wurmbrand found that prayer was his only lifeline to survive the prison tortures he endured.

https://youtu.be/R-QJehD4A7g

Video below where brother encourages prayer for the persecuted church.

https://youtu.be/Nny-6hoLSjU

Prayer is our most powerful weapon.  Many times the cry of our persecuted brothers and sisters is to pray for them.  And it is not that we pray that they be delivered from thei persecutions. But many times they ask us in the west to pray for the grace to endure through their persecutions.

Let us continue to remember our persecuted brothers and sisters in prayer as they carry the cross for Jesus.

Only because of Jesus.

Blaine

2017/11/30 23:13

Re: Their Eye Is on Jesus

Read these devotionals from Extreme Devotion.

December 01: Extreme Limitations BABYLON: SHADRACH, MESHACH, ANDABEDNEGO

For no other god can save in this way. Daniel 3:29

“We do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up” (Daniel 3:16–18).

The king’s rage grew towards the three young men. They had refused to bow to the idol he had built for his nation, a crime punishable by death in fire. “Stoke the furnace!” he commanded. “I want it seven times hotter than normal.” He had the strongest men from his army come forward and bind their hands. The furnace roared, and its walls glowed red as if ready to melt. “Throw them in,” the king commanded. As they did so, the heat proved too much, and the soldiers burst into flames. The prisoners were lost in an instant as the flames flashed too bright to gaze into the furnace. Then as he was watching, Nebuchadnezzar suddenly jumped up in amazement. He said, “Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods” (Daniel 3:25). Suddenly Nebuchadnezzar knew his limitations before the one true God.

When it comes to the battle between good and evil, it is not a fair fight. The enemy is powerful. But God is more powerful. Satan is strong. Yet God is stronger. Satan must send his demons throughout the world to do his evil bidding. In contrast, God alone is omnipresent—fully present in all places at all times. Even so, the enemy’s limitations are not always so obvious when we are under pressure from the opposition. At the time, the enemy seems scary. Intimidating. Consuming. We temporarily forget God’s unlimited power. Do you have your eye on the thermostat when you are in the enemy’s furnace? Or do you focus on God’s presence and find strength to take the heat?

You can read more through The Voice of the Martyrs’ app available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/prayer-calendar/id432550884?mt=8) or Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.persecution.prayercalendarhd)

Only because of Jesus.

Blaine 

2017/12/1 8:06

Re: Bearing Up Under Pressure

Read these devotionals from Extreme Devotion.

December 02: Extreme Clapping ENGLAND: THOMAS HAUKER

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. 2 Corinthians 4:18

Thomas Hauker, a bright, well-favored, good-looking young gentleman, would not deny his personal relationship with Christ. For this he was sentenced to die at the stake.

Days before his execution, Thomas’s friends came to his English prison cell. One said, “I’ve heard that God gives a special grace to those who die in the fire that enables them to bear the flames. For your sake, that I might be able to bear this cruelty to you, can you give us some sign of it? Without knowing this, I don’t believe I can bear that day.” Thomas thought for a moment. “If the rage of pain can be tolerated, before I die I will lift up my hands to heaven as an indication.” On the day of execution, the crowd was abuzz with Thomas’s promise. As he was chained to the stake, he spoke quietly and with great grace to the men who laid the wood. Then he closed his eyes and the fire was kindled. Thomas continued to preach to those around him, but soon, for the roar of the flames, he could not. All were sure he had died. Suddenly, his hands rose above his head to his God and, with praise and thanksgiving, clapped together three times. A shout arose in the crowd, and Thomas sank into the fire and gave up his spirit.

“I can’t take it anymore.” How often we catch ourselves expressing frustration at the least little trial. A crying child. A stuck doorknob. A late-night project deadline. However, the story of the martyrs haunts our petty thoughts when we are tempted to give up under pressure. We often overstate our problems and underestimate our ability to bear up under them. In fact, God promises he will not allow anything into our lives that will be more than we can endure. Thomas, hands upraised in worship, signaling his triumph over the flames, is evidence enough. When you think you can’t take much more of a certain situation, remember Thomas. And remember God’s faithfulness. He knows exactly what you can and cannot take.

My thought...

Diamonds are created under intense pressure.

Only Because of Jesus.

Blaine

2017/12/2 4:20

Re: Saying Yes to Jesus

Sat. Eve.
Dec. 2, 2017

Peter Grieg shares how Brother Andrew's book, God's Smuggler impacted his life. His encouraging message is say "Yes" to God. Even when it is dangerous.

https://youtu.be/aOl-sV8iIUE

Blaine

2017/12/2 20:40

Re: Living a Life that Makes Sense

Sun. Morning.
Dec. 3, 2017

Francis Chan speaking on the impact of the persecuted Church in his life.

https://youtu.be/BI494qbQJpM

Blaine

2017/12/3 5:37

Re:

Sun. Eve.
Dec. 3. 2017

My Brothers and Sisters,

To our persecuted family prayer is their lifeline to God.  Peter Grieg, a young leader in the global prayer movement,  commented on a photograph he recieved. It was a picture of one of the prayer rooms.  He said the picture was not that dramatic. It showed people praying.  But he said the caption at the bottom of the picture was riveting. The caption said, " ISIS has moved into our street and is killing our brothers and sisters." That 
would be enough to bring anyone to their knees and on their faces before God.

Persecution ministries in the west will often ask the persecuted believers how can we help you. The answer of those persecuted believers is " Pease pray for us."  And please pray that we do not escape the persecutions but that God will deliver us through the persecutions."  

Our persecuted brothers and sisters have a different mindset of going through persecution. They have a different mindset of God sustaining them through their trials. So different from us in the west who want to avoid suffering.

The short video below by Peter Grieg is an exhortation to pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters.  After watching the video please pray for the persecuted church.  Please pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters who are in the shadow of the cross.

https://youtu.be/Nny-6hoLSjU

Only because of Jesus.

Blaine

2017/12/3 19:36

Re: All We Can Do Is Pray

Mon. Morning 
Dec. 4, 2017

"ISIS is in our street and is killing our brothers and sisters."

If this were happening in America what would our response be?  Call 911?  Have our church security team on standby?  Have those who have a conceal and carry get their weapons out and lock and load?  What would we do in America if our church came under attack by terrorists?  

What do our persecuted brethren and do in places like China or North Korea or Eritrea when the secret police raid their meetings?  When a jihadist comes in and bombs their churches?

The answer is found in Acts 12. It has often been said that the New Testament is best understood against the backdrop of persecution. The church in Acts was a persecuted church.  They had no conceal and carry members. They had no security team on standby. They certainly had no 911 influence with the Roman government. But they had a powerful weapon at their disposal.

••• So Peter was kept in the prison, but prayer for him was being made fervently by the church of God.••• Acts 12:5

The video below is an exhortation to pray for the persecuted church.  It exhorts us to use the most powerful weapon that we have. It exhorts us to use the most powerful weapon the first century church had. That weapon is prayer.

https://youtu.be/ql_e5o4myxE

As a sister said the persecuted church must know that other churches are praying for them.   Will you please join me tonight as we continue our night watch for the persecuted brothers and sisters in the shadow of the cross.

Time of tonight's call is.......

9 p.m. EST
8 p.m. CST
7 p.m. MST
6 p.m. PST

Call number and access code are.......

712.775.7036.......281207#

Lord willing, I look forward to praying with you tonight as we continue to lift up our brothers and sisters in the persecuted church.

Only because of Jesus.

Blaine

2017/12/4 10:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy