SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : 16th century Anabaptist taught : "innocent party to a divorce was permitted to remarry"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Those of you who are say that the innocent spouse in a divorce can ever remarry are putting them under a yoke of slavery that Christ Himself never intended.

This is certainly New Covenant legalism to the max.

Blaine

2017/11/19 15:45
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

Is the marriage bond less violable than the bond between a believer and Christ? Maybe unrelated to the thread and if so my apologies.

2017/11/19 21:02Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re: Justin Martyr A.D. 151

Justin Martyr A.D. 151

Justin Martyr was one of the great, early theologians and apologists for the Church. He had the distinction of presenting a defining explanation and defense of Christianity to Caesar and the Imperial Roman Senate.

His “Apology for the Christians”, written to refute charges of sedition to the Roman state, is a magnificent legal testimony of the power of early Christians to live Holy and pleasing lives in an evil and corrupted society. Justin was beheaded for refusing to sacrifice to pagan Gods.

Justin Martyr wrote:

“In regards to chastity, Jesus has this to say: ‘If anyone look at lust at a woman, he has already before God committed adultery in his heart.’ And, ‘Whoever marries a woman who has been divorced from another husband, commits adultery.’ “

“According to our teacher, just as they are sinners who contract a second marriage, even though it is in accord with human law, so also are they sinners who look with lustful desires at a woman. He repudiates not only one who actually commits adultery, but even one who wishes to do so; for not only our actions are manifest to God, but even our thoughts.” (First Apology 15)

Justin Martyr taught:

1. To indulge in lust is to be guilty of adultery of the heart.

2. Whoever marries a divorced person commits adultery.

3. Whoever contracts a second marriage is sinning against God. (while a former spouse lives)

4. God does not, and the Church must not, take into account human law when it is in violation of God’s law.

5. God judges motives and intentions, private thought life and actions. All is known and exposed to the God with which we have to do.

2017/11/19 22:36Profile
savannah

Re: violability

"Is the marriage bond less violable than the bond between a believer and Christ?"

According to the following verses there's a difference.

"For this cause a man will leave his father and mother, and will join to his wife, and the two will become one flesh, so that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Mark 10:7,8

"Do you not know that anyone who is united with a prostitute is one body with her? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” But the one united with the Lord is one spirit with him." 1 Corinthians 6:16,17

I'd venture to say as well that according to these verses the marriage bond is less violable.

Being one flesh is not equal to being one spirit. There's clearly a contrast being made in verses 16 and 17 of 1 Corinthians.

Now, for those who believe that a marriage is indissoluble, making any and all second marriages adulterous, there's inconsistency.

Not only do they make the bond between a believer and Christ less violable than the marriage bond, but make it so, to the degree of eternal irreconcilablility.

They do so in their believing that one who is Christ's, being one spirit with Him, may be eternally lost and cast into hell.

2017/11/20 6:56Profile

Re:

"Is the marriage bond less violable than the bond between a believer and Christ?"

There are actually some groups that believe that one can walk away from the covenant of Christ. But you cannot walk away from the marriage covenant.

I have been told that such groups believe that one can lose their salvation. But they can never lose their spouse.

Again such is the absurdity of legalism.

Go figure.

Blaine

2017/11/20 14:44
Elibeth

Re:

I believe Bro.Tim ask a very 'thought provoking' question .....

Re:
"Is the marriage bond less violable than the bond between a believer and Christ? Maybe unrelated to the thread and if so my apologies."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When we enter into a marriage covenant,..we know that it takes (2) to enter into this covenant.....
( binding covenant)

But doesn't it also take (2) to enter into the new covenant w/ The Lord, when we enter in by The Blood of Jesus,..into a relationship w/ Him?
( Binding covenant)

Am I seeing this wrong
Just thinking on this today,
------------------
elizabeth

2017/11/20 18:24Profile
savannah

Re: inheritors

Elizabeth said,

"When we enter into a marriage covenant,..we know that it takes (2) to enter into this covenant.....
( binding covenant)

But doesn't it also take (2) to enter into the new covenant w/ The Lord, when we enter in by The Blood of Jesus,..into a relationship w/ Him?
( Binding covenant)"

A Covenant Indeed - A Covenant made between The Two Who are One - The Father and The Son

We receive our benefit not specifically by covenant, but by inheritance.

“For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance- now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.” Hebrews 9:15

Jesus and the Father made a covenant, and then by marriage (Romans 7:1-6) we received all that Christ received by covenant as our inheritance through His death, and then He came back from the dead to join us and make sure we got by inheritance everything He willed to us.

We see a clear example of covenant language in John 17:10,

“All I have is yours, and all you have is mine.”

“The Hebraic understanding of covenant entails two parties joining their lives. The covenant means that what one person owns the other person owns. This is similar to a modern marriage in which two people share all possessions. If a woman has a million dollar debt before she gets married, her husband will have a million dollar debt after they get married.”

Therefore John 17:10 is is an extremely clear indicator of Covenant Language between the Father and Son. - Harold Eberle

In Hebrews 9:15 Jesus is the mediator that received the New Covenant similar to how Moses was the mediator that received the old covenant, yet the New Covenant people are not partners, we are named as inheritors.

2017/11/21 7:00Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Savanah, has entered the word 'inheritance' ,.....requires much thought /
with The Word,...for insight, as to 'if' it differs or not from being married
( covenant) to Christ ..?

Would hope for some farther wisdom from others on this ,..as I prayerfuly consider and study what you have said, brother.

Sincerely,
-----------------🛐
elizabeth

2017/11/21 9:52Profile
savannah

Re: Married

Rom. 7:4

Therefore, my brothers, you also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that you should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit to God.

that ye should be married to another; or "that ye should be to another", or "be another's"; that is, that ye should appear to be so in a just and legal way; for they were another's, they were Christ's before by the Father's gift, and were secretly married to him in the everlasting covenant, before he assumed their nature, and in the body of his flesh bore their sins, satisfied law and justice, paid their debts, and so freed them from the power of the law, its curse and condemnation, or any obligation to punishment; all which was done in consequence of his interest in them, and their marriage relation to him; but here respect is had to their open marriage to him in time, the day of their espousals in conversion; to make way for which, the law, their former husband, must be dead, and they dead to that, that so their marriage to Christ might appear lawful and justifiable; who is very fitly described by him, who is raised from the dead; and is a living husband, and will ever continue so, will never die more; and therefore as the saints can never be loosed from the marriage bond of union between Christ and them, so they can never be loosed from the law of this husband; wherefore though they are dead to the law as a covenant of works, and as ministered by Moses, and are free from any obligation to it, as so considered, yet they are "under the law to Christ", 1 Corinthians 9:21; under obligation, by the ties of love, to obedience to it, and shall never be loosed from it. J. Gill

2017/11/21 10:18Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Covenant / Inheritance

Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even 'TO HIM WHO IS RAISED from the dead, that we should 'bring forth fruit unto God'.
~~~~~~~~
(Bring forth fruit now unto The New Name that we have)

Thoughts along the way:....
This is what I am seeing thus far:

(We are now married to Him (Christ) who is raised from the dead)....

When we enter into a marriage covenant, with the bridegroom, we acquired His Name,...and God' Name which is The Word of God.

He has now given us His Name, which is The Word of God)....His Spirit, which He hath placed within us is ,The Spirit of God,..is The Word / Spirit....

..so we entered into The covenant w / God,...

Which is God' Name, ....which is Jesus' Name (as a Son,..Jesus 'INHERITED' His Fathers Name, ,...
But we, received His Name by 'Covenant marriage'

Jesus was / is the mediator of the new covenant,..that we could come to God,.The Father,..a covenant of marriage,..and He gave us His Name,...
(The Spirit / Word of God,....( He gave us Himself)

Please bear w /me and forgive me for rambling ,...

~~~~~~~
5 For 'when we were in the flesh', the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to 'bring forth fruit unto death'.

6 BUT NOW,...we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; 'THAT WE SHOULD SERVE IN NEWNESS OF SPIRIT, and not in the oldness of the letter.

(* server Him in this newness of Spirit that He has placed within us.)
~~~~~~~~~~
Doesn't the inheritance come as a result of being married to Christ ?

🛐Thoughts,
--------------
elizabeth

2017/11/21 13:01Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy