SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : sport car

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: :)

:)
Maybe I'm being a Pharisee for judging someone to own a sport car that cost a tons of millions of dollars :D

My simple point is, it would be nice to live simple as a Christian...

No my sister. There's nothing Pharisical in your post. Your desire for simplicity should echo in all of our spirits. A brother by the name of David Platt wrote a book entitled Radical. The subtitle was "taking back your faith from the American dream." The theme of his whole book is simplicity in living. His own life has characterized the theme of his book. Or rather he has walked out the theme of his book in simplicity of living.

Bro Blaine

2017/11/16 17:33
TMK

NC, USA

A Pharisee would drive the sports car and tell everyone else they weren’t good enough to drive one.

2017/11/16 17:34Profile

Re:

"A Pharisee would drive the sports car and tell everyone else they weren’t good enough to drive one."

Actually Todd that sounds like some of the prosperity preachers of today. They would say that your faith is not strong enough if at least you don't have a Lamborghini or a Porsche sitting in your driveway. Somehow they would so imply you're only getting second best from God if you're driving a Ford.

Not trying to be funny brother but actually your comment is spot-on.

Blaine

2017/11/16 17:37
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Or the one preacher that told his flock that Jesus wanted him to have a $65,000,000 G5 plane and they all needed to give him $300 each so he could use the plane to spread the gospel....
now that is clearly devoid of the spirit of God.

2017/11/16 18:37Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Evangeline: I had a little fun with your post, but what is important is recognizing what we prioritize. Do we put our soulish self in the first position? How can I tell? Well, when you spend your time, effort, health, stress, money, planning is it mostly for worldly things? Do you organize your life, work and plan because the new shiny thing is what all that effort is for? Any time for prayer, the bible and concern for others? Yes, its factored in between Sunday 10am and 11:30 am and on Wednesday taking the kids to youth group. Anything else? No.
You see, dining, TV, entertainments, facebook, friends, jobs, family, house upkeep, hobbies, chores, all demand their place nearest to 1st spot.
What about Jesus? Well, Jesus gets Sunday 1.5hrs.

So, if the exploitation preacher has a fat check and big house and big expenses...are we not imitating exactly what he is about...on a smaller scale? Maybe some of us are, maybe I am? Maybe the imitation of their luxurious lifestyle is what we craved while doctrinally we condemn.

A wife and family out of order, kids being trained in ungodliness without even a double check by dad on weekly basis? Maybe mom loves Church but hasn't had a real conversation with her Christian mom friends about Jesus...since who knows when.
The world infiltrates the Christian home from a dozen different angles in any one moment. Those who want to stay out of the ghetto, get away from the dirty drug filled apartments, get out of the bad neighborhood where its only a matter of time before little suzie is pregnant, little bobby is a gang member and you come home after 1.5 hours of Jesus and go..."where is God when I need him"?

No, there is a lot more to knowing and discerning where people are at...and the driveway check is really the worst of the tests.

2017/11/16 22:40Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Brother Blaine: You don't know how to be a Pharisee do you?

A Pharisee driving a sports car doesn't only say "he doesn't deserve to drive one"...he says "If he gets one, it must be what our club finds popular and trendy, it must be that you are one of us and what you are adds to us more prestige and increases the notoriety of our members."

So, don't show up with your sports car thinking you can drive with us...because your not one of us.

Remember there is a life, a career, a reputation and monetary influence that even allows you to apply.

Your website Pharisee car club president.

2017/11/16 22:51Profile

Re:

Gee. After all that Marvin wrote I guess I'm not a Pharisee. Does that mean I can't show up at the Pharisee club with my Harley.😊

Bro Blaine

2017/11/16 23:44
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Marvin,

All jokes aside-
Your reply to sister Evangeline is very well articulated, and if I may, I’d like to copy and share it with someone close?

2017/11/17 3:52Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
There are these preachers who are happy to be gifted by a sport cars. Come to think of it... Is Jesus Christ will be happy to be gifted by a sport car? the very same Jesus Christ who commanded to sell your possessions and give to the poor, and follow Him?

Saints,

I am shocked by all the mocking and joking comments in this thread. The original post and question was serious and one of the 'very' commands of Jesus Christ our Lord.

Luke 12:33 King James Version (KJV)

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

Perhaps in the hearts we actually desire sports cars or other liberties that are "non-essentials" and would be glad if our preachers indulged in them so we would not feel guilty doing so also? This problem happened during a period in Israel's history. When the spiritual leaders went astray in Israel it was said that the people "loved to have it so." (Jeremiah 5:30-31).

Of all the godly preachers on SermonIndex.net that I know of from A.W. Tozer to Zac Poonen and other older ones a life of extravagance is not their mark but a frugal simplicity as a minister of the gospel. Lest we forget that we are posting on a site that is caretaking and hosting all these godly men's messages.

Perhaps if there are further posts it should be directly towards the command of Jesus mentioned and living in a more frugal way, especially the call for ministers to do so in the Scriptures.

2017/11/17 6:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I don’t think anyone here disagrees with the sentiment of Evangeline’s post.

There have only been cautions about making blanket judgments about other believers/preachers based on something they may own.

I do not see anyone condoning the gross excesses of prosperity preachers.

But I have a feeling that even John MacArthur and Franklin Graham and John Piper probably drive nice cars.

2017/11/17 7:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy