SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Narcegettical Preaching: Preacher preaching about themselves rather than the Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Narcegettical Preaching: Preacher preaching about themselves rather than the Bible

2 Timothy 3
Evil in the Last Days

1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. 9But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

All Scripture is God-Breathed

10But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, 11Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 13But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. 14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 4

Preach the Word

1I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 5But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

6For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

A common trend among preachers is not actually to expound the word of God, we get more preachers putting there own ideas into the passage and not exegisis in preaching.

A famous person who does this type of preaching is Steven Furtick from Elevation Church who missed the Gospel out of John 3:16 or out of the passage

Acts 2:42
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

It really breaks my heart at how many preachers miss the historical context or any context as it is not hard to pick up a bible commentary, personally when it comes to preaching. preaching should be done on both knees but it should also be done with avid study.

Jude 1
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

I just find so many preachers it is all about them and they do not do the due dilligent study when there are so many biblical sources on my phone i can access the Mega bible commentaries App which includes things like Matt Henry and Adam Clark Commentaries and Others, then I can access the Greek and Hebrew using my Strongs Concordence App and then I can access so many other resources.

Why is it do preachers not realise that in this modern age we can look up everything that they are saying to see whether it is true and there are entire websites devoted to analysing sermons.

Why does the average pastor think that the congregation is dumb!

2017/11/6 7:44Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Narcegettical Preaching: Preacher preaching about themselves rather than the Bibl

//Why does the average pastor think that the congregation is dumb! //

The answer is plain.

ADD: I would use the word uninformed; however in many cases they are intentionally uninformed which may equate to dumb-ness.

2017/11/6 10:23Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: Narcegettical Preaching: Preacher preaching about themselves rather than the Bibl

Brother Dominic:

You probably already know the answer to your questions.
Contemporary preaching done by hip-preachers may or may not include the laundry list of evils you pasted from various scripture texts.

The only way to know why the preaching pastor ministers as he does is to...
1. visit enough times to get a real feel for who he is and what the congregation is expecting from him.
2. ask to meet directly with the pastor and ask him the pointed questions, raising the issues you have raised.
3. ask to speak to one or more of the Elders of the congregation and bring up your concerns right there.

There are more ways no doubt to discern what is happening there, but broad-brushing is almost always errant.

As to some of your other points...search scripture, commentaries, prayer etc...
Hosea 4:9 - And it shall be like people, like priest; I will punish them for their ways and repay them for their deeds.
We see in plenty of occasions that the people are devoid of solid teaching, lacking any discipline to study the scriptures or work out doctrine for themselves. Because of this the preacher caters to this weakness by feeding them only what they can absorb. The fake sheep is given the moral story he wants and the true sheep starve for spiritual food...even though the bible was quoted and worship songs were sung.

Truth is Dominic, if you are looking for more like yourself they are interspersed among many Churches...I have never found a real bee-hive of solid men and women of God as you look over the congregation on a Sunday.
You find them as the onesy twosy prayer meeting or the very infrequent discipleship classes where they know its going to require sacrifice and study.

I wonder that God keeps a mega church running for no other reason than the few true sheep that he has sent there to minister Christ to them.

Lastly the congregation of the sort that loves pastoral examples...wants desperately to hear the preacher talk about himself, his family and his funny happenings. They love to hear about the kids and the praying grandma, the old preacher grandfather of long ago...because its easy to sentimentalize and easy to live with spiritual people who do not interfere with your right now life.
For some, the bible is widow dressing, its the law-giver, its the place where Jesus lived long ago, died long ago and raised long ago...and its safe that way. Dragging Jesus with his teachings into the 21st century and dropped into my lap is unsafe, uncomfortable and unpredictable. All of those things make for a Church meeting to be avoided.

edited to clarify who I was speaking to.

2017/11/6 19:22Profile

Re:

Marvin I did not write the OP, Dominic did. I think your post was meant for him and not me.

Blaine

2017/11/6 19:38
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Brother Blaine: Very sorry, I got my wires crossed.

2017/11/6 20:09Profile

Re:

My normal state bro. My wires are always crossed.:)

Blaine

2017/11/6 22:36
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Mr. Bear, all of us here have our wires crossed, some just have a harder time admitting it.. :-)

2017/11/7 9:36Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Got it

2017/11/7 16:02Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Adding Narcegettical to my dictionary...
combination of ?
Narcissism plus exegetical?
Narcissism plus homiletical?

Narcehomigetical...now that's a theological sounding word.

2017/11/7 22:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy