SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : fashionista sister

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I had to look up the definition:

fash·ion·is·ta
ˌfaSHəˈnēstə/Submit
nouninformal
a designer of haute couture.
a devoted follower of fashion.

The scripture says:

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. Deuteronomy 22:5

Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. 1 Peter 3:3-4

In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array. 1 Timothy 2:9

here are some quotes from early church writers on this subject: http://www.earlychristiandictionary.com/Clothing.html

2017/10/31 21:02Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The issue on the table is whether Evangeline should fellowship with Christian women who dress fashionably.

If y’all think the answer to that question is “no” I think you are very badly mistaken.

2017/10/31 21:42Profile
savannah

Re: fashionista

I posted this poem I wrote earlier this year, but figured I'd post it here now as I think it's appropriate;

Once upon a time
In a church far away
There sat six young women
In the pew one Sunday

They whispered to each other
As the preacher preached away
And after it was over
They all went their merry way

The next Sunday they returned
And did a repeat of the last
They boasted to some others
How at church they had a blast

Now every Sunday morning
With many many friends
They make it a tradition
To go with all the trends

Their fashion and their pomp
Is quite a sight to see
It spread to all the women
The church has been set free

The preacher had been silent
Not wanting to offend
Now if any one takes notice
You lose another friend

Once upon a time
It was understood
That preaching wasn't relative
But rather for our good

Now everyone agrees
It would not be polite
For the preacher to in-sin-u-ate
That some things just ain't right

And now the sign upon the church
Reads come just as you are
All are welcome in this place
We've even got a bar

Do not judge us any more
We all cast in our lot
If you do you have no love
A True Christian you are not

It is growing late you see
And when this first began
We couldn't see the consequence
That this would have on man

Let me live just as I please
And don't come to my church
We have freedom can't you see
Stop being such a lerche

Everywhere in church-land now
It's a common sight to see
The women have no modesty
They're all dressed like Sandra Dee

So remember not to criticize
You might incur their wrath
Just shut your mouth and go sit down
And follow the new path

2017/10/31 23:06Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Red herring. You can love your brothers and sisters without being consumed by the world.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love [charity]. 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Per Matthew Henry: He advises them to do every thing in charity, v. 14. Our zeal and constancy must be consistent with charity. When the apostle would have us play the man for our faith or religion, he puts in a caution against playing the devil for it. We may defend our faith, but we must, at the same time, maintain our innocence, and not devour and destroy, and think with ourselves that the wrath of man will work the righteousness of God, James 1:24. Note, Christians should be careful that charity not only reign in their hearts, but shine out in their lives, nay, in their most manly defences of the faith of the gospel. There is a great difference between constancy and cruelty, between Christian firmness and feverish wrath and transport. Christianity never appears to so much advantage as when the ****charity of Christians is most conspicuous when they can bear with their mistaken brethren, and oppose the open enemies of their holy faith in love, when every thing is done in charity, when they behave towards one another, and towards all men, with a spirit of meekness and good will.****

2017/11/1 7:34Profile
savannah

Re: Do everything in love

"Do everything in love" 1 Cor. 16:14

AMEN! AND AGAIN I SAY AMEN!

Go now, and in sincerity with a fervent and pure love from your heart, follow His Spirit as you read the following;

From the article I posted a link to:

Evil company is to be sedulously avoided by the Christian lest he become defiled by them.

"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise; but a companion of fools shall be destroyed" (Prov. 13:20).

Nor is it only the openly lawless and criminal who are to be shunned, but even, yea especially, those professing to be Christians yet who do not live the life of Christians. It is this latter class particularly against which the real child of God needs to be most on his guard: namely, those who say one thing and do another; those whose talk is pious, but whose walk differs little or nothing from the non-professor,

The Word of God is plain and positive on this point:

"Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away" (2 Tim. 3:5). This is not merely good advice, but a Divine command which we disregard at our peril.

Alexander McLaren comments on 2 Timothy 3:5

I do not suppose that these words need much explanation. ‘Godliness,’ in the New Testament, means not only the disposition which we call piety, but the conduct which flows from it, and which we may call practical religion. The form or outward appearance of that we all understand. But what is the ‘denying the power thereof?’ It does not consist in words, but in deeds. In these latter epistles we find ‘denying’ frequently used as equivalent to abjuring, renouncing, casting off. For instance, in a passage singularly and antithetically parallel to that of my text, we read ‘denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,’ which simply means throwing off their dominion. And in like manner the denial here is no verbal rejection of the principles of the gospel, which would be inconsistent with the notion of still retaining the form of godliness; but it is the practical renunciation of the power, which is inherent in all true godliness, of moulding the life and character - the practical renunciation of that even whilst preserving a superficial, unreal appearance of being subject to it.

...every Church of God on the face of the earth has a little core of earnest Christians, who live the life, and a great envelope and surrounding of men who, as my text says, have the form of godliness, and practically deny the power thereof. Widespread, and all but universal, this condition of things is. And so let each of us say, ‘Lord! Is it I?’

The more completely a professing Christian has lost his hold of the substance and is clinging only to the form, the less does he suspect that this indictment has any application to him. The very sign and symptom of spiritual degeneracy and corruption is unconsciousness, as the great champion of Israel, when his locks were cropped in Delilah’s lap, went out to exercise his mighty limbs as at other times, and knew not, till he vainly tried feats which their ebbing strength was no longer equal to perform, that the Spirit of the Lord had departed from him. The more completely a man’s limbs are frost-bitten the more comfortable and warm they are, and the less does he know it. If a man says, ‘Your text has no sort of application to me,’ he thereby shows that it has a very close application to him.

...let us cherish a clear and continual recognition of the reality of ‘the danger Forewarned is forearmed. He that will take counsel of his own weakness, and be taught by God’s Word how unreliable he himself is, and how strong the forces are which tend to throw his religion all to the surface, will thereby be, if not insured against the danger, at least made a great deal more competent to deal with it. ‘Blessed is the man that feareth always,’ and that knows how likely he is to go wrong unless he carefully seeks to keep himself right.

Rigid, habitual self-inspection, in the light of God’s Word, is an all-important help to prevent this sliding of our Christian life into superficiality...‘Watch! for we know not what may be going on underground unless we have a continual carefulness of inspection.

2017/11/1 9:41Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

You seem to be advocating disfellowshipping from every other believer you deem to be less spiritually enlightened than yourself. Are you?

2017/11/1 10:02Profile
savannah

Re: Are you?

"Are you?"

You ought to know the answer to that Todd.

I do not think any other believers reading my posts have come to that conclusion.

I'd recommend you go through the series, "Behold Your God."

2017/11/1 10:29Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Then what in the world ARE you saying? If you would speak plainly rather than in riddles perhaps it would be a little more clear.

You seem to be telling Evangleline to not associate with fellow believers who dress fashionably. If that’s not what you mean, what do you mean?

2017/11/1 10:32Profile
savannah

Re: fellow believers

I apologize for my lack of clarity. I have no intention of frustrating you or anyone else.

I suppose that because I understood what I was saying, everyone else did. And I thought the article to the link I posted, and Alexander McLaren's comments were self explanatory.

So, let me state it plainly, we have fellowship with any and all true believers.

Yet, if there be those who profess that they know God, and yet their lifestyle shows the contrary, I must take caution. And I may even need to take some measures, such as not becoming very intimate with such persons, risking being labeled legalistic or as being judgmental.

God alone knows the hearts of all, and He knows them that are His.

I must come to some conclusions though, and act as I believe God would have me.

2017/11/1 11:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Thanks for the clarification and I don’t disagree.

2017/11/1 11:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy