Discussion Forum : General Topics : Keith Green Rocks Jesus Northwest in 1979

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Des

Washington State

Keith Green Rocks Jesus Northwest in 1979

Brothers and Sisters,

I just finished reading 'No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green' by Melody Green. There is an account of Keith Green's appearance at Jesus Northwest in 1979. Were any of you there? Or, do you know of a first hand account that I might find on the Web?

I was at the last Jesus Northwest in 1997. I had only been a Christian for a year when I attended. God's Holy Spirit opened my eyes and I saw that the Contemporary Christian Music Industry is worldly and stench to the nostrils of God! I now listen to Keith Green, Steve Camp, Larry Norman and the hymns.

2005/6/22 22:48Profile
Compton

Re: Keith Green Rocks Jesus Northwest in 1979

Quote:
I now listen to Keith Green, Steve Camp, Larry Norman and the hymns.

Ahh, Only Visiting This Planet...Great American Novel...

All is not lost today. There is also Michael Card, and some of the later Rich Mullins music.
MC

2005/6/23 0:03Profile
Des

Washington State

Re: Secular Record Companies

Compton,

Both Michael Card and Rich Mullins are signed to secular record companies.

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? - 2 Corinthians 6:14, ESV

Did you ever read Steve Camp's [url=http://a1m.org/page.php?page=template10.php&pageid=fcf54d19dd342ec4d0b163b23018f777] 'The 107 Theses: A Call for Reformation for Contemporary Christian Music'[/url]? Follow the link and give it a read. It made me look at the Christian? Music Industry through a Biblical perspective. Then I sold my CCM cd's! :-D

Larry Norman's 'Only Visiting This Planet' still amazes me! I never grow tired of listening to the musical manna from Larry, Steve Camp or Keith Green.

The Nutrasweet that makes up the CCMI is absolute dung! These people actually think they are pleasing God and reaching the lost. No, they are just itching the ears of their listeners. It's musical masturbation and it doesn't please God at all.

Living In Laodicea,

Des

2005/6/23 1:15Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
The Nutrasweet that makes up the CCMI is absolute dung!

Nutrasweet...that's funny. For what it's worth, I work for secular companies too.;-)

I've always been fond of The Great American Novel. I really like Steve Camps' version.

MC

2005/6/23 1:55Profile
Des

Washington State

Re:

There is a big difference between being involved in ministry and working for a secular company. Jesus would have never took sponsorship deal from Chevrolet like some CCM artist have done. These CCM are in are unequally yoked with these worldly companies. Then the artist turn around and charge $30 for their weak, watered down presentation of the Gospel.

Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. - Matthew 10:8, ESV

You can go to Steve Camp's website and download music for what you can afford! His classic out of print CD from 1983, 'Fire and Ice' is available. It regularly sells on Ebay for $30 or more.

As I type I'm listening to Steve Camp's 1988 classic, 'Justice'. I still feel that it is Camp's best work. It is full of fire, passion and love for God, the saints and the lost. I love Godly man who are zealous!

[img]http://www.christianmusicarchive.com/c/camps88.jpg[/img]
Justice
Playing Marbles with Diamonds
Don't Tell Them Jesus Loves Them
Living Dangerously in the Hands of God
Do You Feel Their Pain?
Hell is Burning While the Church Sleeps
Great American Novel
Servants without Scars
Love That Will Not Let Me Go
I Believe in You

Check out Steve Camp's discography on [url=http://www.christianmusicarchive.com/artist.php?id=111]Christian Music Archive[/url]. Awesome site!

God bless,

Des

2005/6/23 2:44Profile
markm

Quote:

Des wrote:
There is an account of Keith Green's appearance at Jesus Northwest in 1979. Were any of you there? Or, do you know of a first hand account that I might find on the Web?

I wasn't there, (That year I was busy being born :) ) but I do know several who were here in Oregon for Keith's appearance. For what it's worth, I seem to vaguely recall someone telling a story of an overflowing Church gymnasium on one of the hottest days of the year and having problems with the freshly applied floor wax melting during the concert... :-?

But I could be remembering that wrong.

2005/6/23 3:00Profile
Des

Washington State

Re:

Markm,

I wonder if the fiery words that God spoke through Keith Green melted the wax in the ears of those in attendance.

God bless,

Des

2005/6/23 3:14Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Jesus would have never took sponsorship deal from Chevrolet like some CCM artist have done...Then the artist turn around and charge $30 for their weak, watered down presentation of the Gospel.

No argument from me there...

You're so right...Justice was Steve Camp's strongest album. I've seen him before live...just he and about 100 people in a little hall here in Columbus.

I remember the first time as a teenager I listened to Keith Greens' music. One summer in Lynchburg Virginia, I was working at a youth camp named "Treasure Island", which was a Thomas Road Baptist Church ministry. (Jerry Falwell) Keith Green was forbidden contraban because he was considered too "worldy". :-o

Late at night some of us camp workers would huddle around a cassette player outside the cabins and sneak a listen to "So You Wanna Go Back To Egypt." looking over our shoulders...

...usually we ended the nights mischief by holding a smoke bomb in front of one of the window fans outside the kitchen crews cabin...

We kids put the "fun" back into fundamentalism. 8-)

Bamana Bread!

MC

2005/6/23 3:52Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

I was too young to remember, but I was there. What is ironic is that now my dad pastors the only church in Brooks, Oregon. Our family owns a house on Bethel Park (where it was held). The property was and is owned by the Oregon District Assemblies of God. What has led you to bring this up?

RT

2005/6/23 3:54Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Wow Des,

Larry at Live at the Flevo was very outspoken in this recognition of the crossover ministries. He spoke out against those who are condemning ministries like U2 and Bob Dylan.

Cliff Richard's song, 'We don't talk anymore' was playing on the radio in the room of a Gospel singer who had slipped into a downward spiral of sinfulness and had not spoken to Jesus for years. As she sat there weeping she opened her heart to Jesus.

Though not everyone likes the 'wishy washy' CCM style of packaging, we are compelled not to break down the work of the Holy Spirit. 'Who is not for me it against me.'

Please don't get me wrong, so many who are involved in the ministry regard it as a flowery praise the Lord thing. A listen to the song by 2nd Chapter of Acts on Singer Sower : Room Noise, certainly says it all.

I listened to Keith Daniels, where he talks about [edit-alt: 'abusing' ] the pulpit for entertainment, and boy does he let rip. Derek Prince talks about the other side, the use of drums in music, and well Jimmy Swaggart and others were convinced there particular way of doing it was right. There are fanatics, uninformed, watered down, cross over, total sold outs, you name it there is a new one everyday...

In truth there must be a balance. We cannot destroy the work of God with our prejudices, as Larry said, 'If you don't think they're doing it right, go and fill in for they....'

Being in music since I was 14, I have had the benefit of being on both sides of the fence. Playing in secular as a believer, played in Christian as a backslider. Eventually, we had to stop pointing fingers and rather get out there and use the gifts that Jesus has given us to reach a dark and lonely, dying world.

I started out crossover, hiding in the darkness trying to be all things to all men, and ended up being nothing to no one and compromising my walk with the Lord. Then bit by bit the Holy Spirit began to work in my heart with his mighty power, and well, I can honestly say that where I am right now is a sweet place. Thanks to Jesus.

I am full time, self supporting, no label, and 3 crossover albums? and two getting into the flow. Everytime I get to Christianified, the Lord deals with my heart and I remember the ministries of Mark Heard and Bruce Cockburn, and I realize there are bigger mountains to climb in getting to a place like Bob Dylans has with the help of the Lord.

So many underestimate what God is doing through Bob. I got so tired of the question, 'So is Bob Dylan still SAVED? that I did a look into his concert line ups over the last three years, I was stunned, apart from the secular stuff he was pumping out, he had carefully selected, 'Saving Grace' and his testimony, 'Every Grain of Sand'...I was so humbled almost to tears. We need to be so careful in judging the brethren.

We need to pray for our brothers and sisters in these ministries that the Lord will keep them strong and guide there hearts to the lost ones.

Please love one another.

In Jesus,
Aeryck.
8-)

2005/6/23 5:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy