Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Master's Indwelling - Murray

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

The Master's Indwelling - Murray

I recently found this gem of a book from Andrew Murray, The Masters Indwelling, highly recommended. Has anyone else here read it? You can get a free e-book copy at Project Gutenberg.

In Christ,

2017/10/24 19:42Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: The Master's Indwelling - Murray

I have read it and have it at home. I have many of A.M books. He is in my opinion one of the best devotional writers I've ever read. Some of his books I've read 5-6 times. I highly recommend him, but like all really good authors, Andrew Murray is not meant to be just read, he is meant to be used for on-going increase in prayer and faith toward Jesus Christ. Read him with the intent to obey his wise instructions.

2017/10/24 20:17Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Excellent book.

Also available here:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/murray/indwelling.txt

Some quotes from this book:

May I ask, with reverence: What is God for? A God is for this: to be the light and the life of creation, the source and power of all existence………And God created us, that we might be the empty vessels in which He could work out His beauty, His will, His love, and the likeness of His blessed Son. That is what God is for, to work in us by His mighty operation, without one moment's ceasing. When I begin to get hold of that, I no longer think of the true Christian life as a high impossibility, and an unnatural thing, but I say, "It is the most natural thing in creation that God should have me every moment, and that my God should be nearer to me than all else."

----------

What is religion? Just as much as you have of God working in you, that alone is religion. And if you want more religion, more grace, more strength and more fruitfulness, you must have more of God. Let that be the cry of our hearts,--More of God! More of God! More of God! And let us say to our souls, "My soul, wait thou upon God, for my expectation is from Him."

----------

God gives Himself to me, not according to my power to hold Him, but according to His almighty power of love to hold me.

----------

Oh, my brother, if we have any true conception of what God is, the art of fellowship with Him will come naturally, and will be a delight. Yes, if we believed God to be only joy to the one who comes to Him, only a fountain of unlimited blessing, how we should give up all for Him! Has not joy a far stronger attraction than anything in the world? Is it not in every beauty, or in every virtue, in every pursuit, the joy that is set before us that draws? And if we believe that God is a fountain of joy, and sweetness, and power to bless, how our hearts will turn aside from everything, and say: "Oh, the beauty of my God! I rejoice in Him alone." But, alas! the Kingdom of God looks to many as a burden, and as something unnatural. It looks like a strain, and we seek some relaxation in the world, and God is not our chief joy. I come to you with a message. It is right, on account of what God is as Infinite Love, as Infinite Blessing; it is right and more, it is our highest privilege to listen to Christ's words, and to seek God and His Kingdom first and above everything.

----------

What is the essential idea of a creature made by God? It is this: to be a vessel in which He can pour out His fullness, in which He can exhibit His life, His goodness, His power, and His love. A vessel must be empty if it is to be filled, and if we are to be filled with the life of God we must be utterly empty of self. This is the glory of God, that He is to fill all things, and more especially His redeemed people. And as this is the glory of the creature, so this is the only redemption, and the only glory of every redeemed soul, to be empty and as nothing before God; to wait upon Him, and to let God be all in all.

----------

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee." Try that; trust Jesus for everything, and trust everything to Him, and the blessing of God will come upon you--the sweet rest, the rest of faith. It is all in the hands of Jesus; He will guide you; He will teach you; He will work in you; He will keep you; He will be everything to you. What a blessed rest and freedom from responsibility and from care, because it is all in the hands of Jesus! I do not say trouble and trial will never come; but in the midst of trial and trouble you will have the all-sufficiency of the presence of Jesus to be your comfort, your help, and your guide.

----------

What we need is to understand that the Holy Spirit came from Heaven, from the glorified Jesus, to bring His death and His life into us. The two are inseparably connected. That Christ died, He died unto sin, and that He liveth, He liveth unto God. The death and the life in Him are inseparable; and even so in us the life to God in Christ is inseparably connected with the death to sin. And that is what the Holy Ghost will teach us and work in us. If I have accepted Christ in faith by the Holy Ghost, and yield myself to Him, Christ every day keeps possession, and reveals the full power of my fellowship in His death and life in my heart.

----------

The faith that rests in Jesus, is the faith that trusts all to Him, with all we have.

----------

The power of prayer depends almost entirely upon our apprehension of who it is with whom I speak. It is of the greatest consequence, if we have but half an hour in which to pray, that we take time to get a sight of this great God, in His power, in His love, in His nearness, just waiting to bless us. This is of far more consequence than spending the whole half hour in pouring out numberless petitions, and pleading numberless promises. The great thing is to feel that we are putting our supplications into the bosom of omnipotent Love.

----------

Beloved, there is no knowing what God will do for a man who is utterly given up to Him. Praise His name! Let each one of us say, "May my life be to live and die, to labor and to pray continually for this one thing: that in me, and around me, and in the church; that throughout the world 'God may be all in all.'"

2018/2/8 9:01Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

A few more words from this book:

And now, dear believers, this is the one thing God asks you to do:

God has said that in Christ you have eternal life, the more abundant life; Christ has said to you, "I live, and ye shall live also." The Word says to us that Christ is our Peace, our Victory over every enemy, who leads us into the rest of God.

These are the words of God, and His message has come to us that Christ can do for us what Moses could not have done. Moses had no Christ to live in him. But it is told you that you can have what Moses had not; you can have a living Christ within you.

And are you going to believe that, apart from any experience, and apart from any consciousness of strength?

If the peace of God is to rule in your heart, it is the God of peace Himself must be there to do it. The peace is inseparable from the God. The light of the sun--can I separate that from the sun? Utterly impossible. As long as I have the sun I have the light. If I lose the sun; I lose the light. Take care! Do not seek the peace of God or the peace of Christ apart from God and Christ.

But how does Christ come to me?

He comes to me in this precious Word; and just as He said to the nobleman, "Go thy way home; thy son liveth," so Christ comes to me to-day, and He says,
"Go thy way; thy Saviour liveth."
"Lo, I am with you alway."
"I live, and ye shall live also."
"I wait to take charge of your whole life.

Will you have Me do this?
Trust to Me all that is evil and feeble; your whole sinful and perverse nature--give it up to Me; that dying, sin-sick soul--give it up to Me, and I will take care of it."

Will you not listen and hear Him speak to your soul?
"Child, go forward into all the circumstances of life that have tempted you; into all the difficulties that threaten you."
Your soul lives with the life of God; your soul lives in the power of God; your soul lives in Christ Jesus.

Will you not, like the nobleman, take the simple step of faith, and believe the word Jesus hath spoken?

Will you not say, "Lord Jesus, Thou hast spoken: I can rest on Thy Word. I have seen that Christ is willing to be more to me than I ever knew; I have seen that Christ is willing to be my life in the most actual and intense meaning of the words."

All that we know about the Holy Ghost sums itself up in this one thing: The Holy Ghost comes to make Christ an actual, indwelling, always-abiding Saviour.

----------

When He had finished His work, He sat upon the throne to do His work of perfecting the body, through the Holy Spirit. And now, the Holy Spirit is carrying on that blessed work, teaching us to rest in Christ, and in the strength of that rest to go on, and to cover our whole life with the power, and the obedience, and the will, and the likeness of the Lord Jesus.

----------

…… not only a man who could say, "Once He helped me," but, "I believe in Him with my whole life." Let that be so with us everywhere; let Christ be the one object of our trust.

----------

And if you want power in your own house, if you want power in your Bible-class, if you want power in your social circle, if you want power to influence the nation and if you want power to influence the Church of Christ, see where it begins.

Come into contact with Jesus in this rest of faith that accepts His life fully, that trusts Him fully, and the power will come by faith to overcome the world; by faith to bless others; by faith to live a life to the glory of God.

Go thy way, thy soul liveth; for it is Jesus Christ who liveth within you.

Go thy way; be not trembling and fearful, but rest in the word and the power of the Son of God. "Lo, I am with you alway."

Go thy way, with the heart open to welcome Him, and the heart believing He has come in.

Surely we have not prayed in vain. Christ has listened to the yearnings of our hearts and has entered in.

Let us go our way quietly, restfully, full of praise, and joy, and trust; ever hearing the words of our Master, "Go thy way, thy soul liveth;" and ever saying, "I have trusted Christ to reveal His abundant life in my soul; by His grace I will wait upon Him to fulfill His promise." Amen.

2018/2/8 18:53Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Casting Crowns – Just Be Held

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yutmTFtalKs

“Come to Me
Find your rest
In the arms of the God
Who won’t let go”

2018/2/8 20:15Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"The Master's Indwelling" is another one of Andrew Murray's books that has had a very real and vital impact on my growth as a Christian.

Besides the bible, there are several books by Murray that I would recommend to disciple a new believer such as "Abide in Christ", and "The New Life".

2018/2/9 13:46Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: The Master's Indwelling - Murray

While riding my bike this morning, I started listening to it from youtube on my tv! I enjoyed it but it is deep. I will have to get the book so I can underline!

God bless you,
Lisa

2018/2/9 13:55Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy