SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is the resurrection of Jesus Christ a literal, historical event???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is the resurrection of Jesus Christ a literal, historical event???

1 Corithians 15:13-14

•••But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching as vain, your faith also is vain.•••

It has often heard it said that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is central to Christianity. If one can disprove the resurrection of Jesus Christ then one can destroy Christianity. If one can produce the remains of the body of Jesus Christ then one will have proved that Christianity has been a lie.

Question... Did the resurrection of Jesus Christ actually take place in time and space? Can it be demonstrated from history that Christ has actually been raised from the dead? Or have we been believing a myth all of these years? In other words is the resurrection of Jesus Christ a historical fact demonstrated from events in history?

Question posed by Blaine Scogin

2017/10/18 11:04
Elibeth

Re: Was Christ Really Raised From the Dead?

Dear brother,
Yes !
Christ was raised by God,The Father,...absolutely!

But what ,I believe it is talking about here is,..
His resurrection in us,...He died ,we excepted His death,..but what about His resurrection in us ?
If we are to have His Life,worked out in us, ...we to, must die.

Notice,a little farther down shows us some clarification,,as to what Paul is saying, when he says, 'I die daily'....dying that The Life of God may be made manifest in us.

I listened to some of Major Ian Thomas' u tube s this morning,..he emphasizes the resurrected Life of God in us..All of His speakings, that I have heard, have been wonderful, ....was my 'GOOD MORNING'

Hope that helps and not complicates-🙏

----------------
elizabeth

2017/10/18 11:29Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Bear why are you asking such a question? I doubt anyone here does not believe Jesus was literally resurrected.

2017/10/18 11:38Profile

Re:

Elibeth writes...

"But what ,I believe it is talking about here is,..
His resurrection in us,...He died ,we excepted His death,..but what about His resurrection in us ?
If we are to have His Life,worked out in us, ...we to, must die."

My sister I certainly believe this and affirm that He has been raised from the dead. And we certainly are living in His resurrection life. I would say that this would be secondary evidence. At least a testimony of His resurrection power in us.

But what I am asking is can we prove from objective historical evidence that the resurrection of Jesus Christ was an actual historical event in space and time. We as believers are making an absurd claim by saying that the One we follow has been raised from the dead.

There are those in the forum who want to debate whether Genesis was an actual historical book full of fact or was it a myth. I'm simply trying to get to the foundation of our faith which is the resurrection of Jesus. This is where our faith stands or falls.

So I ask respectfully in the forum is the resurrection of Jesus Christ an actual historical fact? Can the facts of history substantiate that the Lord Jesus Christ was raised from the dead?

We as believers in Christ are making an absurd Claim by believing that the One we follow was raised from the dead and sits at the right hand side of God. If we are in a discussion with an atheist, can we appeal to history to substantiate the claim that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead???

Blaine

2017/10/18 11:41

Re:

Elibeth I do not discount what you're saying dear sister. And I certainly believe with my heart what you have written.

Blaine

2017/10/18 11:44
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Bear,

This type of argument takes a particular kind of logic. Let me explain:

If I were to say, "Prove to me that Hitler wasn't reading '2nd Corinthians' on April 5, 1922." You have to show evidence of everything that WAS occurring to make that case. Even if you show loads of evidence of things that he was doing at the time, the objector could still say "You MUST provide an itinerary of every single moment in time that he was awake that day." However, you can make a strong case for it based on the evidence, but you will never be able to satisfy a stubborn objector, if that makes sense.

So, to directly answer your question, here are some important things to consider:

The claim of the resurrection of Christ is documented outside of the Bible. Pliny the younger and Josephus and Tacitus along with others speak about Christians and some of their beliefs.

The Bible states that there were over 500 eye witnesses, and this was written well within the lifespan of some of those witnesses. The fact that this claim was made is a steep gamble for anyone trying to deceive anyone. The apostles also were eye witnesses and even died to defend that claim. Looking at the lives they lived according to Scripture and history, we see that they--in a worldly sense--gained VERY VERY little. In fact, they lost most of their affluence and influence within the greater Roman empire, and KNOWINGLY did so. The same is true with many of their converts, who willfully gave their lives for what they claimed to be true, accurate, and of which many claimed to be eye witnesses.

The fact that an empty tomb was claimed is extremely important. If the disciples stole away the body of Jesus as the Jews claimed, why were they so willing to die for what they KNEW was a lie from the get-go? Also, if they stole the body away, how is it that the Roman guards were not killed, as is custom when they fail in their duty. How did the disciples roll away the stone without the guards realizing? How is it they stole the body away without suffering even 1 casualty or injury by the hands of the roman guards who would have been trained to lay their lives down for their duty?

If Jesus didn't really, actually die--how could he have faked death on the cross, when the Romans were trained to identify that their job was complete (spear in the side)? How could Jesus have garnered any followers if He was bloody, beaten, and likely--if the non-death theory were true--dying from the crucifixion?

The evidence is circumstantial, but circumstantial evidence, couple with eye witnesses accounts is Gospel (pun totally intended).

2017/10/18 13:39Profile

Re:

I thought I would retitle the thread how many people believe in the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ? This might engender more discussion.

Blaine

2017/10/18 14:29

Re:

Habok writes...

"The evidence is circumstantial, but circumstantial evidence, couple with eye witnesses accounts is Gospel (pun totally intended)."

Brother very excellent post. You present a very compelling case for the historiocity of the resurrection of Jesus. Granted that historical evidence alone will not convince a stubborn mind. For a non believer who is open to discussion on the histororical basis of the resurrection of Jesus Christ could certainly lead to fruitful discussion.

For those interested in apologetics it seems that the historical basis of the resurrection is certainly something to be considered as we talk to people about the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you for your post.

Blaine

2017/10/18 14:36

Re:

Okay playing around again with the title. Did not want to detract from the Genesis thread.

Can we say that the resurrection of Jesus Christ was an actual historical event? Does anybody else have any thoughts on this topic?

Another question is should we say that the resurrection of Jesus Christ should be a topic that should be entered in regarding apologetic discussions about Christianity?

Blaine

2017/10/18 14:41
romanchog

Re:

The answer is that this can be proven historical with non-biblical texts. It has already been done. Gary Habermas wrote a book on it, and you can even find him on YouTube.

2017/10/18 15:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy