SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Would You Stand For the National Anthem?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Sree

Re:

Quote:

However, there is no law that compels me to stand for the anthem so I suppose that is where i was thinking there was 'wiggle room'(as you put it) I have no issue with Sree thoughts and heart on the matter either, except the part where he calls it sin not to stand??

Sister Romans 13:7 commands us to give respect to those who seek respect. Just like you pay Tax to government based on what they seek, irrespective of whether you agree with their tax law or not. For example I believe it is unjust for USA to demand Tax from me as I am an non-immigrant here. I get no social security benefits, still I need to pay for it! But even though I find it unjust, I still pay it.

Same way whether you agree or not that certain thing has to be respected, if the nation commands you to respect then you better do. It is applicable to people as well. There are politicians in India who are very corrupt, but they demand respect when common man meets them. So when I get a chance to meet these politicians, I make sure I stand and give them the respect that they demand. If I do not show the respect just because I know they are corrupt (which is true), then how am I following Romans 13:7? Am I not withholding respect from a person who demands it?

I hope I clarified my point here.

Sometimes we do not know that this person demands respect, hence you might offend them by not showing the kind of respect they expect. Those are unconscious sins, which we can apologize to both man and God and set things right.

Also possible that one may not see Romans 13:7 in the same light as I see. It depends on how much light they have and how much they value God's word when it comes to obedience.

2017/9/29 16:32Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Sree wrote: I hope I clarified my point here.

You did clarify your understanding of things. For you to remain seated would be a sin. I understand that now. Thank you for responding to me.

God bless
maryjane

2017/9/29 18:59Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re:

As a citizen of another Kingdom, at the moment, I would probably prayerfully stand so as not to give the appearance of evil/ rebellion against the governing authorities God has appointed.

"Does being patriotic to our nation bring us in conflict with our allegiance to Jesus?"

I believe it can, does many times, and will increasingly do so in these last days. Though I grew up reciting every morning in elementary public school , "I pledge allegiance to the flag..." while standing with my hand over my heart,

...after the Lord saved me, I found the thought of pledging allegiance to any earthly flag to be very disturbing and even wrote out a new version of the pledge of allegiance in my journal that started off "I pledge allegiance to the Lamb..."

So what brother Frank shared resonates in that regard:

"What a tragedy that men and nations could fight for political freedom, could throw off the shackles of slavery and then die knowing nothing of true freedom. This freedom was given to us..by God Himself on the bloody battle-field of Calvary...Would it not be better to live as a slave in this world but be a free man in the world that was and is and is to come? What a tragedy to throw off the shackles of human slavery and yet die a slave to sin and eternal damnation. Temporal political freedom means nothing in the Kingdom of God. The only freedom that truly matters is the freedom that we have in Christ."

I do agree with my brothers and sisters as well though who want to demonstrate godly submission/ respect to the governing authorities. So, though the context may be different, the principle of the scripture below came to mind, knowing that each of us in this thread love the Lord and would either stand or not stand as unto Him..may He allow us to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace as we grow togeher in Him and in our understanding. (So thankful for what everyone takes the time to share on here)

"He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks. He who doesn't eat, to the Lord he doesn't eat, and gives God thanks." (Romans 14:6)

2017/9/29 20:19Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Traditions of man

This discussion is lacking correlary Scripture.

Mark 7:4 KJV
[4] And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.

What does this have to do with honoring a flag?

Look a little further down.

Mark 7:11 KJV
[11] But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free .

So what do you see? Isn’t this a much more profound issue? Here we are discussing the banality of sports culture. What an utter waste of time. Sports culture, the epitome of humanism.

What does Christ say?

Mark 7:10,13 KJV
[10] For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

[13] Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

2017/9/30 16:00Profile
Jasmine

Re:

Throughout my Saved life I've watched God take things that were seemingly unimportant and use those things to give me a greater understanding of Himself and His Word. A majority of the time it was because I asked a simple question in my heart. There may be some Christians out there who may have questions in their heart regarding patriotism, loyalty, vows, racism, etc. God can be using current events to draw those saints into seeking Him to see what He says about these issues and how to apply His Word concerning these matters. Some Christians have never even thought to ask the Lord and they should. So I don't consider it a small thing at all.

2017/10/2 6:21Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

I am a vet having served in The United States Air Force. I did nothing heroic or served in any combat. When I stood guard at the flagpole base where the flag flew in glory in certain places and saluted it in passing by, to me it was an honor and is an honor to this day. Every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner, or see Old Glory I still salute, as to me it is a National Treasure. I don't know how many of us on Sermon Index know or have heard the full song, when I hear it, I stand, pray, salute and thank God for our Nation and His continued blessing on the United States of America.

The Star Spangled Banner Lyrics

By Francis Scott Key 1814

Download a printable PDF – The Star Spangled Banner lyrics
line-stars
Oh, say can you see by the dawn’s early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous
fight,
O’er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
‘Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps’ pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war’s desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav’n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust.”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

The Star Spangled Banner lyrics

"""Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war’s desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav’n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation."""

Who is the Power that hath made us and preserved us a nation?

The Stars and Stripes to me are always a reminder of Gods Hand upon our great country.

"In God We Trust" of which our Flag is that reminder of whose power we are under. Even our money.

Amen; In Christ we stand and our flag is that Standard which I hold High as my reminder of all that have died for it and me. Thank you Father for their lives shared for us; Let Freedom Ring loud and clear.

Phillip

2017/10/3 4:59Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Thank you for your service Phillip.

Reasons why many NFL players
dislike authority - Who knew? Talk about media covering up bad news about celebrities!

If you're wondering why NFL players are acting out against injustice,
it's because many are criminals and criminals always blame someone else.
NFL ARREST DATABASE, by Team, and Number of Arrests Since 2000:
Minnesota Vikings 42
Cincinnati Bengals 40
Denver Broncos 36
Tennessee Titans 33
Miami Dolphins 28
Kansas City Chiefs 28
Jacksonville Jaguars 27
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27
Cleveland Browns 26
San Diego Chargers 25
Indianapolis Colts 24