SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Who are the Prophets?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: Who are the Prophets?

John,

You ask, "My post may seem cynical but it is also serious...............are there prophet or are there not prophets of God?"

The silence is speaking very loudly.

Thanks for posting on this.

2017/9/18 10:47Profile
Jeremy221

Re:

It's called "The Russians' Secret

What Christians Today Would Survive Persecution?"

by Peter Hoover with Serguei V. Petrov

I got it as a PDF.

EDIT: it's here on SI too.

2017/9/18 11:02Profile

Re:

••• What Christians Today Would Survive Persecution?" •••

Let's see. Those persecuted Christians in Eritrea, North Korea, China, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanustan, Nepal, Egypt, Syria, Iran to name a few. But then Open Doors would probably say there are 50 countries where Christians would survive persecution off their World Watch List. VON and other Ministries would is say the number could be as high as 70 or 80 countries where Christians would survive persecution. Namely because these Christians are under persecution.

Simply my thoughts. Actually these are thoughts based on my ministry of praying for the persecuted.

Bro Blaine

2017/9/18 15:09
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Jeremy221

I found the PDF for this book and loaded it to a USB. I don't know that it answers my OP but I will be reading it regardless.

On the heels of my OP it causes me to wonder something. There is mention of prophets in the book of Acts but it is very low keying. Just something in passing and the prophecy of Joel about the last days was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost. Church history doesn't record anything about prophets of God saying anything. All we have knowledge of is the persecution of Christians......such as in the Russian book, and what they did to survive OR how they were killed but there is no mention of a prophet coming forward to say something in the Name of God as we see in the OT. This has to say that prophets no longer come anymore and that those who think themselves to be prophets are probably false prophets? Otherwise they would have to be those who study the scripture to see history repeating itself from the scriptures. I think David Wilkerson would be in this group.

There is no one out there for the last 2000 years who can what God was really doing in any given generation except for maybe earnestly contending for the faith such as the reformation? But even in that there was no prophet of God coming forth. Only maybe a watchman.

So the question remains.............who are the Prophets of God in the last 2000? Are there prophets of God in the last 2000 years? My stance is there are none unless I can be convinced there prophets. I wish I could read about prophets in the church. Sometimes my head screams for someone like Polycarp to say 'Thus says the Lord....'

So this post is more or less me crying out against preachers today who think themselves to be prophets of God and who can tell us why natural disasters happen. Pat Robertson and his son would be examples. Another modern day example of Jim Bakker who just today on tv says all of his prophecies have come to pass.....really Jim? He is like my senile old grandpa...........I like the guy but I don't take his message serious. He talks too much nonsense because he wants money and to be in the spotlight..............he needs to be homeless so he can see his own vanity.

2017/9/18 17:19Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Good post John, if I were left to believe that God would only use pastors or Evangelists to be prophets, that's almost laughable. Jesus used all people for the good of His will, but here are some examples of people that were used for the greatness of HIS glory. So this tells me he likes to use the least expected for the greatness of his glory. And this is just to name a few.
Abraham -Was old.
Elijah – Was suicidal.
Joseph – Was abused.
Moses – Had a speech problem.
Samson – Was a womanizer.
Rahab – Was a prostitute.
Samaritan Woman – Divorced.
Noah – Was a Drunk.
Jacob – Was a cheater.
David – Was a murderer.
Peter – Denied Christ three times
Paul – A Pharisee who persecuted Christians before becoming one.

2017/9/18 18:08Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

by MrBillPro on 2017/9/18 18:08:00

Good post John, if I were left to believe that God would only use pastors or Evangelists to be prophets, that's almost laughable. Jesus used all people for the good of His will, but here are some examples of people that were used for the greatness of HIS glory. So this tells me he likes to use the least expected for the greatness of his glory. And this is just to name a few.
Abraham -Was old.
Elijah – Was suicidal.
Joseph – Was abused.
Moses – Had a speech problem.
Samson – Was a womanizer.
Rahab – Was a prostitute.
Samaritan Woman – Divorced.
Noah – Was a Drunk.
Jacob – Was a cheater.
David – Was a murderer.
Peter – Denied Christ three times
Paul – A Pharisee who persecuted Christians before becoming one.

I would agree and you listed a few who were prophets in the list. All from the OT or were Apostles.

btw, I recently saw that Ken Ham said the hurricanes in Texas and here in Florida are due to our sin. I don't think he is claiming to be a a prophet but at the same time I ask how does he know this? The Philippines has typhoons all the time. Would the same judgment apply?

Yeah, I suppose this irritates me a bit but it is because of Jude 3 for me as well as calling out those who make judgments to account for themselves of their judgment whether it is of God or of themselves. It makes a big different because it causes many to believe in them while it causes others to scoff at them and if they are false then both camps fall into deception. At the same time I must be careful not to allow seeds of anger to develop into hatred.............I hate seeing anything relating to the Gospel prostituted with reckless judgment.

2017/9/18 18:34Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Is that the same Ken Ham the embarrassed me in the debate with Bill Nye? I guess the jury is still out on who won that debate, or maybe it's who you ask. Personally speaking, that debate should have never taken place, believers should not be debating these worldly science folks, our belief is based on our faith, not science.

2017/9/18 19:11Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis who has the Ark Encounter and the Creation Museum in KY. I visited both of those places Dec 2016 in the frigid cold. I loved the cold because it was a major change from Florida weather but the parks were great as well.

Ken Ham embarrassed you in a debate with Bill Nye(who is no science guy)?

Our belief is based on faith which is rooted in evidence......

2017/9/18 19:34Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

John, do you believe Christians should be getting into public debates with folks like, Nye, who is an agnostic? I personally think this can be dangerous to someone that's young in Christ, and also some folks seeking more knowledge of Jesus Christ. In my opinion, I think these type debates can confuse some more than help, maybe not but I just don't know.

2017/9/18 20:23Profile
RogerB

Bruceton TN

Re:

Kings don't always speak for God. Neither do the priests. The only voice of God through time has been the prophets. They are the Thus sayeth the Lord.

2017/9/18 22:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy