SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A Flat Earth Testimony

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brothers and sisters,

If we are truly honest, none of us actually knows with certainty one way or the other. The fact is our belief is an act of faith based on the testimony of others we don't know nor have ever met...

History bares out that the established church balked at the idea that we weren't the center of the universe and that the earth was spherical just as today's mainstream church will at the proposition of it being flat and in the center of the universe. The point being is that we would do well to not speak before we know, except to inquire. For in doing so we are placing our faith in men whom either wear tin foil hats or on the other side can "prove" we came from apes or star dust... and Caleb is simply giving his statement of faith (which is far more agreeable with scripture) and if we don't share the same conviction then it would be far easier to inquire of him why he holds to this or even prayerfully take it up with the Lord. But I can find no scriptures that license us to mistreat another brother or sister.
Two more quick points;
If persecution broke out and the only Christians around were a group that sincerely believed the earth was flat, would that matter to you if they needed help or were the only ones who could provide it for you?

And I disagree that our belief in the shape of the earth in any way is a measure of our credibility as a Christian,... that is exclusively based on wether we love our brothers and our testimony of Christ in us-
It's important to note that as far as we know, all the apostles believed it to be flat as that was the prevailing understanding of the time and was never "corrected" in or by scriptures and if anything was reinforced by them...

2017/9/11 18:24Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

The Earth is not "flat." It's a GLOBE. Most of the world's communication capabilities work on GLOBAL relay systems. Intercontinental telephone calls can be made as a result of satellites relaying to other satellites at various positions around the globe.

There are real-time webcams that show the world spinning (via rotation) on its axis. If you watch them long enough, you'll see the entire planet rotate several times.

If you still don't believe me, take a boat and sail east. Eventually, you'll arrive in the west. If you fly in a plane to the west, you'll eventually arrive to the west.

There is no magic here. There is no grand conspiracy. The Earth is simply a globe -- a sphere. The moon is a globe too. The Sun is a globe. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto are globes too.

High school students routinely attach GoPro cameras to high altitude balloons (without the "fishbowl" setting) and record the curvature of the planet's horizon (in spherical position as it turns).

There is nothing really to argue about and debate here. Unfortunately, the world will look at this and mock such notions as foolishness. There is a difference between being a "fool for Christ" and simply being given to folly.

*EDIT - I would add that I agree that we can be a distraction or obstacle to the world through such theories (and not because of the Cross but because of intrinsic folly). Christ is our pursuit and not worldly ponderings.

"O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called."
- I Timothy 6:20

2017/9/11 19:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

[quotes]"O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called."
- I Timothy 6:20

Saints,

As the verse alluded to I believe it really is not profitable to continue in these discussions on the forums here. Saints are free to research privately but even making a few searches I found it so unprofitable and grieving.

Let us focus on the commands of the New Testament and the Lord Himself and not in ideas and strange concepts that really the early Church history for the first few hundred years never even bothered to consider.

this thread is locked.

2017/9/11 19:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy