SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Worship with a Stench

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Worship with a Stench

Is 1:16 Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes! Cease to do evil,
Is 1:17 Learn to do right! Seek justice, relieve the oppressed, and correct the oppressor. Defend the fatherless, plead for the widow.
Is 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, says the Lord. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be like wool.

The dearly beloved AW Tozer wrote:

"Let us suppose we are back in the old days of the high priest, who took incense into the sanctum and went behind the veil and offered it there. And let us suppose that rubber - the worst smelling thing I can think of when it burns - had been available in those days. Let us suppose that chips of rubber had been mixed with the incense, so that instead of a pure smoke of the spices filling the temple with sweet perfume, there had been the black, angry, rancid smell of rubber mixed with it. How could a priest worshp God by mixing with the sweet smelling ingredients some foul ingredient that would be a stench in the nostrils of priest and people?

So how can we worship God acceptably when there is within our nature something that, when it catches on fire, gives off not a fragrance but a smell? How can we hope to worship God acceptably when there is something in our nature which is undisciplined, uncorrected, unpurged, unpruified - which is evil and which will not and cannot worship God acceptabley? Even granted that a man with evil ingredients in his nature might with some part of him worship God half acceptably, what kind of worship is that?"

What kind of worship is that. We don't hear much on worship of late. Oh we might hear about the arts, and the dance, and the orchestra, the lovely voices. But what about worship?
Oh I am just now reminded of that old hymn, "Nothing between, my soul and my Savior". Oh it is the cry of my heart, for me, and for you.
There can only be worship when there is purity and holiness. There can only be holiness when there is an intimate and abiding love relationship going on between man and God. Worship flows out of that kind of relationship. It is not taught in the classroom. It is the spontaneous reaction of anyone who encounters the real manifest presence of the living God. Selah.

In awe of our God,

Lahry

2005/6/19 10:11
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re: Worship with a Stench

I agree, Lahry.

[b]Amos 5:21-24[/b] (Read that)

Worship is something that must come from a pure heart and is not something that is forced or manufactured.

Paul said, [i]"I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer without anger and disputing."[/i]
I believe this applies to worship as well.

Jesus said, [i]"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."[/i]
The opposite of this would be in flesh and in hypocrisy. Selah.

In Christ,
-Eli

2005/6/20 13:41Profile

Re: Those who have been forgiven much....

....are greatful of much. If we don't recognize the wonder and majesty of our God, and the total repulsion of our sin to this Holy God, then we do not realize the magnitude of the pardon afforded us through Jesus Christ our Lord.
It is only when we consider God as deminsionless when it comes to description, and that we are put back in right relationship with Him by agreeing with and placing our trust in the finished work of Calvary, that we begin to groan deep in our spirit, groanings of the Holy Spirit, too deep for words. It is joy unspeakable.

in His mercy and grace,

Lahry

2005/6/20 17:28
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Re: Hello my friend..

As a worshipper, I am reminded of this fairly regularly as I prepare to play for wednesday night and sunday's services. What I have been doing is selecting music that glorifys the Lord and not given opportunity to stir up the flesh in the congregation. Then it is certainly covered in prayer throughout this time. Its a fine balance, but Praise be to our God, He knows how to get my attention!

2005/6/21 8:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy