SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Fleeing from the wrath to come-

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Elibeth

Fleeing from the wrath to come-

John the Baptist came preaching: "Repent,for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand,",.....And, " Prepare the Way of The Lord,make His paths straight."

What did John the Baptist mean? .."when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism,he said unto them,O generation of vipers,who hath warned you to 'flee' from the 'wrath' to come ?

'Flee' to where ?
And: What is this 'wrath' ?,....and when is this 'wrath' ,that he is telling them about,coming?

He also tells them, to "bring forth 'fruits' fit for repentance."
Then in essence, he tells them if a tree does not bring forth 'good fruit'
It is cut down and cast into the fire.

(Pharisee means 'an actor') (Jesus called them hypocrites) ,..(I don't know what the word, Sadducee means)

Thinking along,
Blessings,
---------------
elizabeth

2017/9/4 22:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Fleeing from the wrath to come-

//Flee to where? And: What is this wrath?//

Luke 21:20-22 “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. ***For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written.***

2017/9/5 7:15Profile
mguldner

Kansas

While I agree the Pharisees were acting holy the word Pharisee doesn't mean actor. It was a title among the Jewish sect. Now hypocrite means actor and I would agree that is a synonymous description of what the Pharisee were doing. Sadducee is another religious title among the Jewish sect, they didn't believe people could be raised from the dead...which is why they were sad...you see?

In reality the Pharisees weren't necessarily bad people but rather scared of losing their identity. When Rome overtook a nation it was their first objective to assimilate and conform all other culture into Roman culture. The Pharisees were trying to guard against this Roman culture by going hyper religious which in turn caused all sorts of other problems. We all have the same tendency to preserve the norms of our world and that is just what they were doing.

2017/9/5 8:23Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!

Good morning Elizabeth!

"'Flee' to where ?"

I believe this is speaking specifically of fleeing to Jesus:

"and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come." (1 Thessalonians 1:10)

"And: What is this 'wrath' ?,....and when is this 'wrath' ,that he is telling them about,coming?"

These are the verses that came first of all to mind...

2 Thessalonians 1:

7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

((God bless you))

2017/9/5 8:40Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re:

Also regarding what and when is the wrath to come these verses also...

Revelation 19:

11 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. 12 His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. 13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. 15 Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. ***And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.*** 16 And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

2017/9/5 8:48Profile
docs

Re:

The wrath to come was the wrath that was to come at the Day of the Lord and in the mind of the Hebrews this day would be preceded by the final desolations of Jerusalem. This was to be the time of the advent of the Messiah when Israel's final eschatological enemies would be defeated and the righteous dead would be raised. None of this occurred in 70 AD but we have come full circle. Once again after almost 2,000 years we can see a Jewish presence in the land and Jerusalem once again in Jewish hands and likely in the future to be surrounded by hostile armies. Then the advent of the Hebrew Messiah and Savior will actually be the second coming of Christ. At the Day of the Lord. In Hebrew eschatology, all roads lead to the Day of the Lord and the Day of the Lord to come is the backdrop of which all New Testament eschatology finds its context. New Testament gospel proclamations include warnings to flee from the wrath to come in this world and the next. Jerusalem will be in the middle of the middle of the world shaking tumults to precede the coming of Christ at the Day of the Lord.

2017/9/5 9:05Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Todd,
Thank you, .... appreciate you.
The Scripture you gave,Lk.21:20-22,

" ¶ And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. "

Are you saying that this was the wrath that John the Baptist was talking about, .. ..would you say fulfilled on the yr 70, or is it yet to come?

I know The Lord ,is and has been sooo long-suffering with His creation-

The Lord has not shown me much on prophesy
As of now.

Bless you,
----------
elizabeth

2017/9/5 14:25Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Mathew,
I appreciate your thoughts and knowledge that you have shared.
Thank you,
------------
elizabeth

2017/9/5 14:32Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Brandi,
I believe you are absolutely right, .. we must flee to Jesus, the only safe/secure place for us,..ever. There, we can be ever confident/trusting.

I think of Steven, ....He knew God,..He trusted in his Lord, and The Lord saved him to the otter-most,....He brought Steven,all the way through and out to the other side,..still in Him.Steven over-came.......was an over-comer.

......and just thinking along,...
He experienced the wrath of men, but NOT the wrath of God
...(that was a comforting thought)

God hid Steven's soul in the Clift of The Rock.
The hand of God covered him,...gave him the Grace to endure.
Steven loved God !

He fled from 'the wrath to come' -

Thanks for the Scripture's too,and bless you and yours Brandi,

------------------
elizabeth

2017/9/5 15:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Elizabeth-

I personally think John was referencing the destruction of Jerusalem and consequently the destruction of the Jewish religious system in 70 AD. it seems obvious to me that in the Luke passage Jesus was also referencing this absolute holocaust of Jerusalem in 70 Ad.

The Pharisees and Sadducees had much to lose from the end of ritual Judaism.

2017/9/5 15:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy