SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is this true?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Is this true?

after listening to many of the sermon downloads, i gather this to be true:

truth---leads to purity
purity---leads to power
power----leads to experience (...of God's presence).

So many people want to go straight to the power or straight to the experience without FIRST going to the truth. Jesus said "I am the way, the TRUTH, the life......".

thoughts? dennis

2005/6/19 9:14Profile

Re: Is this true?

The power is in the blood. Deliverence is in the truth. So is redemption. The manifest presence of Jesus Christ and the love of the Father is in obedience.
You don't hear many "faith" preachers preaching on obedience these days. But it is impossible to be like Christ without being obedient. Jesus was obedient in all things, even unto death on the cross. Want to re-present Jesus? Be obedient unto God. Then you will find the presence of God manifested in your life, and you will be loved by the Father. Not much else will matter after that. You have it all.

In Him,

Lahry

2005/6/19 20:43
dohzman

define power?

2005/6/20 0:01Profile

Re:

Power. 1 a (1) : ability to act or produce an effect (2) : ability to get extra-base hits (3) : capacity for being acted upon or undergoing an effect b : legal or official authority, capacity, or right
2 a : possession of control, authority, or influence over others b : one having such power; specifically : a sovereign state c : a controlling group : ESTABLISHMENT -- often used in the phrase the powers that be d archaic : a force of armed men e chiefly dialect : a large number or quantity
3 a : physical might b : mental or moral efficacy c : political control or influence

2005/6/20 7:34
dohzman

The reason

I asked you for the definition because often when we christians talk about power what we'er talking about is manisfestations of God's Spirit in the works of service. An example would be mircles or gifts of healing, deliverences ect.....I believe your original post in the begining placed moral purity (santification) before power. In a perfect world we'd all like to see it that way, however that's not the case, niether historically nor biblically. It would seem that God responds to faith even if the individual expressing faith towards him is less than that which we would claim as a brother or sister.

Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he this by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

There have been sweeping revivals that happened where the individuals being used to promote that revival had great manifestations of the Holy Spirit only to leave the meetings and in at least one case I read went out and died in a drunken stuper. I think if the "power gifts" or manifestations of the Holy Spirit are what you make reference to the whole of it from what I see seems to be one of faith, an active faith that seems to step out on a deep inward conviction.
That's enough to get this rolling I believe. Blessing In Christ Bro. Daryl

2005/6/20 13:00Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re: The reason

I thoroughly appreciate Richard Owen Roberts when he said:

[i]"There's only ONE thing that Satan cannot counterfeit. Holiness."[/i]

Satan can do all sorts of wonders and even make people feel good, get along... Satan can imitate the church! But when God truly draws near, the Holy God, holiness ALWAYS comes with Him and sin ALWAYS is exposed or convicted of by His Holy Spirit. The devil cannot mimic this and even if he couldn't he wouldn't because that is exactly what he hates most.
So when trying to discern what is from God, always ask the question: Is holiness emphasized? Does sin become bitter? Do people come under conviction? These are the indicators of God in our midst.

Love in Christ,
-Eli

2005/6/20 13:28Profile
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Re: The reason

dear dohzman ,you said:
.....I believe your original post in the begining placed moral purity (santification) before power. In a perfect world we'd all like to see it that way, however that's not the case, niether historically nor biblically. It would seem that God responds to faith even if the individual expressing faith towards him is less than that which we would claim as a brother or sister.

....so faith is exercisable among the ungodly?
dennis

2005/6/20 16:46Profile
dohzman

Re:

I believe one could make an intelegent arguement that the ungodly have exercised a faith toward God (whether the quality of that faith is that of a saint in essence, I can't say)(and the term I use for God here is in a general sense, not as of a specific , which we would use). There's a classic book, I forget the Author , the title is :"Eternity in thier Hearts", it puts forth the evidence that God had revealed himself to people groups in remote unevangelized araes and then gave testamonies from missionaries who made these reports. Interesting read. But to simply answer your question: yes.

2005/6/20 17:20Profile

Re:

I think his name is Don Johnson. He's the same guy that wrote "The Peace Child". Both are awesome books.

Lahry

2005/6/21 7:00
ccchhhrrriiisss

There is a great message from Leonard Ravenhill that mentions the differences between "purity" and "power." It is a message divided into four parts -- but it is one of the best messages that I have heard on the matter.

It is called "Purity and Fire," and is found under the Leonard Ravenhill list of messages.

Here is a link:
Purity and Fire - Part 1
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=869
Purity and Fire - Part 2
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=871
Purity and Fire - Part 3
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=872
Purity and Fire - Part 4
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=873

I hope it helps.
:-)
-Chris