Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re:

Hey guys,

Jesse-
I thank the Lord for your willingness to go out and proclaim and how God uses that in spurring brothers and sisters on.

Robert-
What you pointed out is crucial and so easy to overlook when we are called to preach the word. I have to check my heart, my motives, and ask myself constantly, "Is this what the word of God is saying or am I interjecting what I think the people need to hear as I preach?"
Hearing from God is of the utmost importance. If we do not hear from Him, and on that point we must be certain, because if I don't and then stand up in front of men, lost or found, and proclaim the word, I will be held accountable for why I said what I said, ands how it was said.

If God says to strike the rock, then we must strike. If God says we are to speak to the rock, we must speak.

Misrepresenting God, of which we are all susceptible of doing, has very grave and awful consequences.

2005/6/20 11:18Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
If God says to strike the rock, then we must strike. If God says we are to speak to the rock, we must speak.

Misrepresenting God, of which we are all susceptible of doing, has very grave and awful consequences.

You are speaking my heart here Bro. Josh. I admire street ministers like yourself and Bro. Jessee and King Jimmy. I have done a fair amount of street ministry myself and know how desperatly we need to lean on God.

My dad is a different kind of street minister. God has used him to lead some people to the Lord that were horribly bound in sin. Near all of them homeless. He does not 'preach' to them with words- but with compassion. He just mingles with the people and helps them as he can. When a door comes open he shares Christ or simply brings them in his vehicle to church. Many reject the message of Christ- but some hear it. It is dangerous ministry by any standard- but God is with him so we dont worry about it.

I prefer to preach myself. Yet mingling with the people is ministry also. Jesus did all I think. How awesome He is!

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/6/20 12:06Profile

Re:

Bro RobertW said:

Quote:
[u]Always remember[/u]-

[b]its the fruit that carries the seed.

Study them and see if they are evident in your life, teaching, and preaching.

Let your words be always with grace and seasoned with salt.

Let the wisdom you use be first pure then peacable and gentle.

Easy to be entreated.

Full of good fruits.

Let it be without hypocrisy.

For the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of those who are making peace[/b].

Sound counsel for us here, especially in conjunction with

Quote:
Yet mingling with the people is ministry also. Jesus did all I think. How awesome He is!

and the imperative for [b]Christ to be set forth[/b] clearly.

2005/6/20 14:49

Re:

Sinners should get scared when they hear about hell. Fear has a deffinate place in preaching. Aren't some "scare tactics" legitament? Telling smokers about the dangers of cancer may make them afraid of cancer, but that's a legitament fear. Telling the sexually immoral of the dangers of STDs may cause fear, but it's a legitament fear. Telling sinners about the danger of sin and hell may cause fear, but it's legitament fear.

Certainly fear is not the end, but is a biblical means. A preacher came into my jail when I was a lost person and scared me pretty good. But that wasn't when I got saved. It was a month later after the Law and the fear of God had done it's work that I accepted grace and mercy.

2005/6/20 18:56

Re:

“and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:”

precept: a command or principle intended especially as a general rule of action

It doesn't say "their fear towards me is caused by the sermons of preachers" (unfortinately that statement wouldn't be true in our day). It would appear to me that this means that the precepts, or laws of man as opposed to the laws of God, are causing men to fear. Like today if we told people that if they drink Coca Cola they are going to hell or if they go to Disney Land. That’s a commandment of man. Trembling at the Laws of God, and trembling at the laws of man are two separate things. As Spurgeon said “they’ll never accept grace, until they’ve trembled before a just and holy Law”.

There are a lot of scriptures which talk about the fear of God as I listed earlier.

2005/6/20 19:07

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy