SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Humility...let's talk about it

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

William said: """"""Agreed. Only the Holy Spirit can work humility in us as we yield ourselves and cooperate with Him, as in all fruit of the Spirit and characteristics found in Christ.
We are not suddenly all humble, just because we received Christ and confessed Him as Lord., although a measure of humility is required to confess our sins and shortcomings and look to the Saviour to reconcile us to God.

Moses was surely not born the most humble man on earth but through trials and failures and 40 years in the backside of the desert and the revelation of God in the burning bush etc. he was transformed and moulded into a truly humble man.

Probably the most beautiful portrait is the one found in Phillipians:""""""""""

Amen, so true.

I too, fall short in humility. There's so much to ponder here. Thank you all for sharing what the Lord placed on your hearts. Always thankful for the Lords correction.

2017/8/29 10:56
Sree

Re: Humility...let's talk about it

Quote:

How much pride still lives in us? Or at least still influences our thinking?
How many times don't we think:" I could do it better...or , I could teach or preach better..etc. etc" ?

That is because the flesh never changes. We still live in the same old flesh as a New Man. The old man is dead, who used to keep satisfying his flesh. But the new man is born of the Spirit and wants to live by Spirit. The flesh still wants its own way. It is proud and wants to be first in everything.

The flesh has to be crucified and put to death every single day.

2017/8/29 10:59Profile
Sree

Re:

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself — it’s thinking of yourself less." - Rick Waren quote.

I think this quote is very useful. We often think less of ourself and consider ourself humble. Jesus was not like that. I do not believe he thought of himself less compared to religious pharasees. He knew he was more spiritual than them. More God pleasing than them. Hence it is false humility to always speaking as if we are less compared to others.

True humility is to think of ourself less. We try to put the needs of others more compared to ours. We do not try to project ourself. We try to hide like how Jesus hid himself and all his miracles.

2017/8/29 11:29Profile
Elibeth

Re: song

May I interject a song that comes into my mind/heart ?

-------------------
elizabeth

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QH4Nv1Qctfk

2017/8/29 12:27Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Beautiful song Elizabeth. I sing it many times in private worship.

Blessings,

2017/8/29 12:42Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Thanks William,

elizabeth

2017/8/29 12:58Profile
StirItUp

Re: Humility

"How many there are who perish because of vain worldly knowledge and too little care for serving God. They became vain in their own conceits because they chose to be great rather than humble.
He is truly great who has great charity. He is truly great who is little in his own eyes and makes nothing of the highest honor. He is truly wise who looks upon all earthly things as folly that he may gain Christ. He who does God’s will and renounces his own is truly very learned."

-Imitation of Christ

2017/8/29 13:03Profile
StirItUp

Do not think yourself better than others lest, perhaps, you be accounted worse before God Who knows what is in man. Do not take pride in your good deeds, for God’s judgments differ from those of men and what pleases them often displeases Him. If there is good in you, see more good in others, so that you may remain humble. It does no harm to esteem yourself less than anyone else, but it is very harmful to think yourself better than even one. The humble live in continuous peace, while in the hearts of the proud are envy and frequent anger.

-Imitation of Christ

2017/8/29 13:26Profile
StirItUp

Go where you may, you will find no rest except in humble obedience to the rule of authority. Dreams of happiness expected from change and different places have deceived many.

- Imitation of Christ

2017/8/30 1:06Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Humility...let's talk about it

I loved everyone's answers, this is just another by Derek Prince. I just listened to this on Monday, the following is taken from his 12 min radio broadcast called "Learn by Living," and day 5 was on humility...

1 Peter 5:5 (Phillips) ...Indeed all of you should defer to one another and wear the "over-all" of humility in serving each other. God is always against the proud, but he is always ready to give grace to the humble.

In the Greek, the phrase for “clothe” in verse 5 means to put on a certain kind of apron which was worn only by slaves, so anybody who wore that apron indicated openly he was a slave.

If anybody put on such an apron they had put themselves, so to say, on a lower level than the people around them. It’s something that you do and it’s visible – both pride and humility stick out.

God’s grace is only for the humble, he doesn’t give grace to the clever, the correct or the famous unless they are also humble.

Humility is the greatest need of most Christians and pride is the greatest danger. I have seen over the years so many Christians tripped up, stumbling and falling and coming to disaster because they yielded to pride.

James 1:21 (NAS) Therefore putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, IN HUMILITY receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls.

The essential condition to truly receiving the word of God is humility. Pride excludes the word of God from those areas of our lives where we need it.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

The word ‘destruction’ is related to the Hebrew word for “breaking.” I’ve seen so many Christian leaders who had to be broken because they yielded to pride. If ever a person has a downfall, the root cause is pride.

You have to “will” humble, you have to make a decision, follow it up by action. Like the person who made a decision to put on the slave’s apron and then put it on.

God bless,
Lisa

2017/8/30 8:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy