SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The Jesus People

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Jesus People

It has been said that the Jesus Movement was probably the last credible move of God that this nation saw. The movement begin around the late 60s and culminated in the late 70s. The movement was called the Jesus movement because Jesus was the focuss.

Below is a link to the film The Jesus People. It is a documentary of the Jesus movement in California. For those of you who came out of the Jesus movement such as myself this video will bring back memories. For those of you who did not come out of the Jesus movement then this is a history of how God moved among the young people in the 60s and the 70s.

The film is about 45 minutes long. In the middle of the film there's an interesting message by Hal Lindsey at an open-air meeting on a California college campus. Actually the message is pretty good.

As we used to say back in the day of the Jesus Movement this is "right on" at "out of sight". One thing you will notice and watching a vehicle video is just a simplicity of worship among the young people. Just the simplicity of the focus of Jesus.

Hope you enjoy the video.

https://youtu.be/XmUvnN3mtuc

Bro Blaine

2017/8/12 23:33
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: The Jesus People

Brother,

Thank you for sharing the video. One does have to ask what is the credible fruit from the Jesus People movement. Calvary Chapel is one of the main denominations that can be seen that has some fruit from that time, but there seems to be many that had interest in the Lord in the midst of societal moral shifting but then turned back in some way.

Godliness and morality also is questionable in the Jesus people movement, there was an anti-religious bent. Which can make individuals to be less disciplined towards the things of God.

I have met many wonderful brothers who were involved in the Jesus people movement, but it is hard to call it a "Revival" as there was not alot of change in society itself towards morality and not alot of structure left in gathering of believers today.

2017/8/13 6:27Profile

Re: Greg

Dear brother I'm not calling at a revival. Not in the historical sense of a Great Awakening. But more of a quiet movement of God's Spirit. It was more of a movement of God's Spirit in the hearts of so many young people who needed Jesus.

Having grown up in that time the nation was about to come apart with the Vietnam War. We had young people who were turning on, tuning in, and dropping out. The drug culture was getting started.

I believe God's answer to the drug culture was a quiet movement of his Spirit that led many to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. So many young people in that time found their hope in Jesus being delivered from the drugs. It is interesting that some silver-haired senior pastors of mega churches trace their Roots back to the Jesus movement.

From my understanding the Jesus movement was more of a personal movement of the Holy Spirit bringing Jesus into hearts that were yielded it to Him. Which makes me wonder if the next movement of God will not be similar in that it will be more of a petsonal heart move to invite Christ into one's heart.

Just my simple thoughts of reflection.

Bro Blaine

2017/8/13 6:45
docs

Re:

Most of the people I know who were saved during that time have not turned back even over 40 years later and I remember a strong emphasis on godliness and morality and personal discipleship. Many people I knew became missionaries. The holiness of God was talked about more and respected and pursued more than today.

2017/8/13 7:39Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Wow, I watched this this morning! I've never seen it but it gave me a wonderful insight to the Jesus Movement. Thanks, Blaine.

2017/8/13 9:11Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

It is because of the work of the Holy Spirit in both the Jesus - Charismatic Movement in the early 70'S that I was saved, filled with the Holy Spirit, and ministering for the Lord at this time.

Many of my friends have had similar experiences, and are bearing fruit 40+ years later. Many of them are pastors and are involved in ministries.

Despite the errors, failures, and slips of men that were involved in this movement. The Jesus Movement was clearly a work of the Holy Spirit that did bring forth much fruit to the glory of God.

2017/8/13 10:07Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by Greg
Godliness and morality also is questionable in the Jesus people movement, there was an anti-religious bent. Which can make individuals to be less disciplined towards the things of God.

Brother,

It doesn't negate the work of God in those people's lives. I look back over my own Christian life and I can assure you (sadly) that I've not always been Godly or moral but He never left me or forsook me. When I presented myself to be holy to people, the one place no human being could see - my mind, it was so immoral but He never left me, He leads His dear children along.

We have to give people as much time as God has given us. Is He finish with us yet? I hope sure not!!

God bless you Greg and family!!
Lisa

2017/8/13 11:32Profile

Re:

Lisa writes.........

"We have to give people as much time as God has given us." Amen to that sister...........bro Frank

2017/8/13 23:12

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy