SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : alcohol

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
npautsky

Texas

Re: alcohol

Hello denem7,

I remember a few years back I was asking myself and the Lord the same kind of questions. In my conscience I really felt that I should just stay away from any restaurant that has a bar in it or an unclean atmosphere. By God's grace he helped me to do just that and I am so thankful that he led me away from those places. I am now absolutely certain that it is God's will for me not to set foot in those places.

2005/6/19 0:07Profile
taco

Re:

Quote:
People, what it means is this: nobody drank strong drink unless they were considered a barbarian

Or a good tither.

2005/6/19 6:52Profile
roadsign

Re: what it the heart of the matter?

Quote:
nobody drank strong drink unless they were considered a barbarian."

So, is this how we are to view anyone whom we see having a maritni at a wedding - or a glass of wine?

I wish to get to the heart of the matter regarding alcohol - or any pleasures of the world. Do you mind checking out this quote by John Piper and then adding your thoughts?
[url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/godsgreatestadversaries.htm]God's Greatest Adversaries[/url]
Diane

2005/6/19 7:16Profile
HakkaMin

Taiwan

Re:

It's interesting to note that when Paul had the chance, he chose to set the bar (sorry ... :-) couldn't help myself) for sin at getting drunk, and not drinking. In Ephesians 5:18 he commands, "Do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation ..." Think what he could have (should have?) said if he felt that it was wrong to actually drink wine.

And this word for "wine" (oinos) is the same word used for the wine that Jesus made from water. It surely must have been potent enough to get drunk on ... or there would have been no need for the admonition from Paul.

Just a couple of thoughts.

2005/6/19 7:47Profile

Re: alcohol - re roadsign, HakkaMin

Quote:
Do you mind checking out this quote by John Piper and then adding your thoughts?

He makes very good points! :-P

Quote:
Think what he could have (should have?) said if he felt that it was wrong to actually drink wine.

And this word for "wine" (oinos) is the same word used for the wine that Jesus made from water. It surely must have been potent enough to get drunk on ... or there would have been no need for the admonition from Paul.

Just a couple of thoughts.

For me, you've struck the perfect balance. Good observations.

2005/6/19 8:16
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Been watching this conversation. Seems this topic always comes up with Christians and with that, varying viewpoints.

My DH and I choose not to drink. Personally, I see nothing in scripture which disallows "a drink", but I see plenty which speaks of not becoming drunk. I think people can argue about the % of alcohol content in OT/NT times, but we will never know for sure. I think what most of us will agree on is that it was NOT grape juice.

We (DH and I) choose not to drink because of our pasts-----especially me. I was a HEAVY drinker and it never did me any good, so instead of taking the chance on stumbling, I stay away from it. We also do not want to set a particular 'lifestyle' for our children to see or be tempted (sneakin' drinks) as I was as a youngster.

We have some Christian friends who drink. The drinking/no drinking thing seems to be more of a deal to them (who drink), than it is for us. Most of the time when we get together, there is a "dig" about us not drinking. It seems to really bother them that we choose not to drink. Some say the non-drinking Christians can get real judgmental and I'm sure that is very true for some, but I've seen the other side too. I don't understand why it bothers some drinking Christians when a brother or sister decides they don't want to drink.......Just my thoughts. In Him, Cindy

2005/6/19 9:19Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:
For me, you've struck the perfect balance. Good observations.

I would add that Lahrys post also sets it straight.

2005/6/19 9:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Dennis,

I, too, have been in a place where I felt so out of place. It was dark, alcohol was freely used.(We went because our son said they had great food - crawdads). I resolved to never go again. Is it perhaps because the LORD was not honored with my presense there? There was absolutely NOTHING about the place that indicated Christian anywhere. Unless the Holy Spirt specifically tells me to go, I will refrain. It would be better to eat nothing then go to a place where you can not eat in peace.

My thoughts on this subject...
Ginnyrose

2005/6/21 23:02Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: Take a step back and look

Let's take a step back and look at this issue. I'd like an answer to this question:

What positive thing has drinking alcohol ever done for anybody?

RT

2005/6/22 3:17Profile
Zapthycat

Livermore, CA

I don't drink alchohol, and I don't think any Christian should either.

A sip of cough medicine isn't wrong or a sin. But a drink of beer can easily be. Instead of enticing myself with one beer (harmless?) and possibly wanting more or destroying my witness... then I will refrain from all.

2005/6/22 3:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy