SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : I have an Idea. What do y'all think?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
havok20x

I have an Idea. What do y'all think?

So I have been mulling over an idea and I wanted to see what y'all thought and maybe get some ideas/input.

I am thinking about offering classes at my church (each about 6 weeks long, 1-hour a week) about various topics regarding the faith. Here are some that I have been thinking about:

Christian History (Event Based, not Doctrine Based)

History of Christian Thought (Different doctrines, largely focusing on false teachings that have cropped up through the ages)

History of the Bible

How to Study the Bible

Basic Doctrine

Evangelism

Life of Christ

Pauline Epistles (maybe just each one or broken up into

Pastoral Epistles, Prison Epistles, or some other means)

Old Testament Law

Old Testament Writings

Old Testament Prophets

etc

These classes would be designed to provide basic information, but would include abundant resources and references so that people could learn more away from the class.

Any thoughts, ideas? Anyone already doing this or have seen something like this.

I especially feel strongly about Church History and the History of the Bible. Those are 2 subject matters that many, many believers just don't know about. They are very important though, because we have a rich heritage and it displays the faithfulness of God throughout the ages.

2017/8/9 13:32Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: I have an Idea. What do y'all think?

Quote:
I especially feel strongly about Church History and the History of the Bible. Those are 2 subject matters that many, many believers just don't know about. They are very important though, because we have a rich heritage and it displays the faithfulness of God throughout the ages.

Dear brother,

I agree with you on this, we have a 2000 year old Church, some of the early church believers accomplished so much that we are still reaping those benefits. Some of the greatest apologetics of the Church were in the first 300 years.

2017/8/9 13:39Profile

I think that all the topics you listed are very interesting for a class to learn and know...

2017/8/9 14:02
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

Makes think of Edwin Orr's quote of the brother who would not discourage Evan Roberts desire to leave school and go preach and teach the things that no one else seemed to think he was equipped to do: Who but the Holy Spirit would lay that on a man's heart to do?

Make sure of it and you know your idea is anointed and good to go.

It seems like a good idea to this old idiot. :)

2017/8/9 15:11Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Sounds good- I agree with Tim to just make sure God is behind it and not that it just seems like the right thing to do. That being said I am not sure why God would not be for it.

What kind of turnout do you think you will get?

2017/8/9 15:39Profile
havok20x

Re:

I go to a small church, so I likely will have low turnout, but I think that's best. I don't want to deplete entire Sunday school classes or anything like that. I will probably put up a sign up sheet and break it up into groups of 2-6 people per class at the most. When all the people who have signed up have been taught, move on to the next topic.

Another topic I would love to cover is History of Christian Missions! I have studied that a bit and it is so encouraging!

2017/8/9 17:06Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
by sermonindex
Dear brother,
I agree with you on this, we have a 2000 year old Church, some of the early church believers accomplished so much that we are still reaping those benefits. Some of the greatest apologetics of the Church were in the first 300 years.

I totally agree there were some great men and women of God, in the past 2000 years, now what would be great, is if we in the 21 century could leave the same legacy for our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren. I personally believe this is what we need, because a lot of the older generation of men and women of God, even though their messages were great, it's not the messages most of the younger generation will be able to relate to, today's generation needs a little different approach.

Gods word will always be the same, but I truly believe the delivery of the message, will have to be a delivery that captures the hearts and souls of the younger generation if we want to leave the same legacy as the church left us in the past. I know we would all like to think a message from Smith Wigglesworth is just as powerful today as it was yesterday, for the younger generation, but my guess is the majority of his messages are listened to by the older generation. From what I have personally experienced with the younger generation is, it's a totally different approach needed today to capture the minds and hearts of our children.

I'm 65 and God has blessed me with the gift to be able to capture the attention of the younger generation, why? Because of my approach, you can't use the same approach to capture today's young lost sheep, as we used 500 years ago, it just won't work. It has nothing to do with the word of God, it will always be the same, it's all about the approach. Times have progressed, and we must use the progressive ways in how we deliver messages to the younger generation, the messages could probably still be the same, but the delivery method must be different.

I guess a way to prove my point would be, bring in 500 children ages from 12 to 18 and play one of Smith Wigglesworth sermons, and watch their responses.

2017/8/9 17:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

// I go to a small church, so I likely will have low turnout, but I think that's best. //

It was actually a trick question. If God wants you to do it the turnout doesn't matter. Those he wants will show up.

2017/8/9 22:01Profile
proudpapa

RE : /// I especially feel strongly about Church History and the History of the Bible. Those are 2 subject matters that many, many believers just don't know about. They are very important though, because we have a rich heritage and it displays the faithfulness of God throughout the ages.///

If I had it to do over again, I would not study either of those two subjects.

Something like Foxes Book of Martyrs would be OK for the rich heritage.

In light of Scripture I have found much of recorded Church History to be a disappointment.

2017/8/9 22:28Profile
havok20x

Re:

proudpapa,

"In light of Scripture I have found much of recorded Church History to be a disappointment. "

Can you please explain further on this? It sounds like you wound up more discouraged than encouraged, which is different from my encounter while studying Church history. Thanks!

Also, what did you find discouraging about studying the history of the Bible?

2017/8/10 7:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy