PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Carter Conlon - discernment

Carter Conlon‏
@carterconlon
Following
More
There's incredible power in the words that you and I choose to say. Scripture says that both death & life are in the power of our tongues.
9:05 AM - 7 Aug 2017

This is from Carter on Twitter and it has concerned me because the intent of it looks to possible stem from the Word of faith Teachers. I think we would find more Word of faith Teachers pimping this quote out then we would non Word of faith teachers. It has caused me to wonder if Carter is slowly going off the narrow road?

I began a dialogue about this on a closed group on FB to get feedback and one person who attends TSC says their study group is concerned about what they are seeing slowly happening there which could confirm my raised radar. I have seen other things going on that disturbed me but just made mental notes to keep watch.

I wanted to post this to get feedback.

2017/8/8 9:23Profile
yuehan

Re: Carter Conlon - discernment

Here's my current perspective on the "Word of Faith" movement:

Romans 10:9 - "...that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

The tongue confesses what the heart believes. Confessing aloud is incredibly useful in renewing our mind.

The act of speaking in itself does not have power. It is the truth of God which has power, and effects change through our believing it: "...faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17)

Where many "Word of Faith" adherents erred, in my opinion, is that they can overemphasize the act of confessing the truth, rather than emphasizing the truth and the necessity of believing it.

2017/8/8 9:52Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

I came from a Word of Faith Bible College and church background. It's where the Lord led me as a young believer and He must have had a purpose with it as a lot of what I learned and experienced was wonderful at the time.
Thank God, I am now at a place where I read the whole bible and have learnt to be more discerning and have , hopefully, started to see the true message of the Word.
Any doctrine can become dangerous when separated from the whole, when you build a whole ministry or teaching on one or two passages of scripture and you, so to speak, miss the wood for the trees.

As Yeuhan says:"The act of speaking in itself does not have power. It is the truth of God which has power, and effects change through our believing it: "...faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17)"

I want to add that the truth is in Jesus Christ. True faith is our relationship with God through trusting in His Christ. The only important confession is the confession, by revelation of the Holy Spirit, that Jesus Christ is Lord!
Whatever the Christian needs is in Jesus, and through faith in His Name.

"We have the same spirit of faith as Abraham, we believe therefore we speak"

We believe the gospel of Jesus Christ, therefore we confess Jesus Christ as Lord and tell others about Him.

Blessings,

2017/8/8 11:01Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I want to share some words with someone who attends TSC and talks about what they are seeing regarding Carter Conlon. I find it rather revealing and at the same time I continue to watch it to see how this progresses.

Quote:

We go to TSC and held a satellite fellowship site from our house. We had to stop the group from gathering because of the direction TSC is going in. We were due to meet with one of the elders to share our concerns. I am glad to see we are not the only ones.
Also a concern is the increasing use of women in leadership, guest speakers (MAX LUCADO in December) and sloppy use of the gift of tongues (encouraged without an interpreter).

I believe the anointing may have been under Pastor Dave. God forgive me if I'm wrong.

This is not the Carter we heard several years ago. I also wonder if he is OSAS.

(Heart heavy and BIG SIGH)

It seems every "organized big church" body is falling apart or compromising.

And this quote as a follow up

Quote:

His associate pastor's with the exception of Pastor Carol who is at the Summit School are very word of faithy sounding. We had to stop attending the world wide weekly prayer meeting also because of it.

When you go back and listen to Wilkerson or even Carter's sermons; "Run for your Life," and "The Corinthian Problem" (12 part) you realize this is not the same man. The very things he warned about in these sermons are what TSC is becoming. Many solid people there and it is a very slight of hand for discerning Christians.
There is no warning of false teachers or doctrine, no real dialogue about Israel or the Lord's second coming. No talk of apostasy or the error of Emergent New Age, NAR poison in the church.
They even did the War Room for woman's bible study (Priscilla Shirer/Beth Moore)!😳

Lastly, they love to have Tim DiLena speak (formerly of Brooklyn Tabernacle - why he left there I do not know) but he is full of jokes and stories and weak messages/exegesis from the main flagship sermon time of 10:00. We can't even watch him.

Oh I could go on. It is just a far cry from what it was.

Wilkerson's son Gary who comes to speak is another one slipping. Very sad.

Pastor Dave Wilkerson would have torn his garments in anguish.

I think to dismiss any of this is to deny a reality of something that is really going on and possibly have TSC as an idol. I think there is something going on here and it frightens me that TSC could eventually slip into something that it shouldn't be. Could it be that Carter's sermon on 'Wolves' may come back to bit?

Just some thoughts.

2017/8/8 13:05Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Certainly does sound concerning. That is why we do not follow men but need to stick close to Jesus and His word while we watch and pray and hasten His return.

Perilous times indeed.

Dear Heavenly Father, guard us from the end time deception coming in like a flood. Raise up a standard of truth within us so that having done all, we may stand.

2017/8/8 13:43Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
by DEADn
This is from Carter on Twitter and it has concerned me because the intent of it looks to possible stem from the Word of faith Teachers.

Brother,

This is not from the word of faith camp, this is from the Bible:

King James Version (KJV) Proverbs 18:21 - Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

I should be asking, how do you feel about Prov 18:21? Do you believe it or not?

God bless,
Lisa

2017/8/8 16:24Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by DEADn
Could it be that Carter's sermon on 'Wolves' may come back to bit?

From Jan 2016 to present, here is how many times “who” preached on Sunday morning at Times Square Church

Gary Ham – 1
Max Lucado – 1 – Dec 4 2016
Gary Wilkerson – 1
Patrick Pierre – 2
Nick Cassidy – 2
Teresa Conlon – 2
David Ham – 4
William Carrol – 5
Claude Houde – 5
Tim Dilena – 8
Carter Conlon – 50

Have you ever listened to his "Wolves" sermon? The fellow that you are conversing with sure fits into the category of a wolf at TSC.

John, you have to be prayerfully careful who you listen to and ask what is their motive, is it to tear down or lift up? We have to get out of the mindset of finding fault with God's people publicly and take any grievances to them privately first; this is the highway of holiness, the way of God.

God bless you bro,
Lisa

2017/8/9 9:25Profile

Re:

I don't know anything about this and it's heartbreaking to hear. Yes, we know that wolves and false teachers are among us.

This is just an honest question:

If you knew what burning in hell would be like for all eternity, and you had the opportunity to do one of two things, which one would show the love of Jesus?

1) Calling out a false teacher, sharing what was said about him without knowing the facts , and warning everyone about his error.

2) Having a broken heart knowing this man/ministry is slowly getting off course, getting on your knees and praying that God will restore the ministry, asking others to pray for them. Avoiding the teaching, but fervently praying that their eyes be opened to the Truth.

One last question,

Let's say you were this man going astray, or the ministry you are under.....wouldn't you want other believers to intercede for you? Or would you want them to condemn you, share your name publicly, and pass you off as a wolf?

I'm not saying to agree with them, or accept the teaching, but if we worship Jesus in Spirit, isn't the same true to look at this from the spiritual? People are not our enemy, satan is. He throws those into spiritual bondage who are going astray....our Lord loves mercy....shouldn't we love mercy too? It doesn't mean you compromise, it means you war in prayer that a brother or sister is going astray.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but honestly, I've gone astray in the past, and if it were not for the prayers and mercy others extended to me, I would be utterly lost in darkness. Hell is eternal....if we truly understood how horrible that place is, wouldn't we show more of Christs love to fast, pray, and reach out to restore our straying brethren?

2017/8/9 10:09
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Each summer during Conlon's sabbaticals various speakers fill the pulpit. Styles differ. Tim Dilena is a lifelong friend of the Wilkerson family. He has a more relaxed delivery, sure. But, I find his sermons uplifting.

I cannot say what the members of TSC experience or think or observe. I do not dispute nor agree. I don't know.

I will say this. Carter Conlon has tweeted repeatedly, and preached at TSCNYC, about the need to pray. My own personal observations of late about him are that he is consumed with the need to pray even more than the need to preach. My guess is if you asked him the greatest need of the church today, he would say to pray with everything you are and to seek God like never before. I read tweets like this power of the tongue business in context with everything else he says. He means it in the context of prayer, calling on God, and our treatment of one another and -- I think I am guessing correctly -- the way TSCNYC people treat each other. The power of life and death IS in the tongue. The power of God appropriated to those who pray is power above all earthly power. I firmly believe and find Conlon consistently biblical from all I have heard, read and seen of him.

2017/8/9 13:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Each summer during Conlon's sabbaticals various speakers fill the pulpit. Styles differ. Tim Dilena is a lifelong friend of the Wilkerson family. He has a more relaxed delivery, sure. But, I find his sermons uplifting.

We can be over-critical of others and not upon ourselves. Have we changed in our lack of prayer, bible reading, godliness, evangelism, etc?

There are seasons of more prophetic words from the pulpit that are hard but need to be given. And there are times to be a pastor and love people and serve them. There needs to be balance amongst both and pastor conlon is that, he is a pastor of people.

We all are influenced and change also from different emphasis as we grow in the Lord and seek balance. God is looking at the end product and goal and seeking to perfect us all in Christ.

2017/8/9 13:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy