SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hell

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Hell

I wanted first to post it as a reply on one of Greg's parts of Hell and Everlasting Punishment.

but i just thought that i should start a thread on this. it has some reactions in it, how christians react to it...not to offend them, but just share your thoughts with it...and discuss it, and find the Biblical Truth!

---

Quote:
from "Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 1: Abiding Wrath" sermonindex wrote:
I do feel these messages are timely and I do encourage you to follow along and let the Lord appropriate the severity of the message to your heart. Lord teach us what it is to live eternity counsious in time!

this is so true, but i also experience a resistances amongs some fellowbrothers and sisters (at my place here in Holland)

they say something like this, when discussing the subject, Hell, Judgement and Salvation and bringing The Gospel.

01- "why showing the negative side?"
02- "Doesn't God want to be as a Father to them?"
03- "talking about Hell is negative!"
04- "where is the love?"
05- "you offend them, and they will never ever want to hear it again"
06- "you must not scare them"
07- "God has beautiful promises for them"
08- "you'll condemn them"
09- "you give the devil too much glory when talking about hell or sin"
10- "too much the focus on sin"
11- "God has laid promises in men, they are not saved yet, but He will, and if you just tell them about those things (promises)"
12- "does not The Holy Spirit convicts of sin?"
13- "sinners are like unborn babies, waiting to be born"
14- "why see everyone who is not in Christ as a sinner, and not as a person that God has a purpose with"
15- "men will not be open anymore to The Gospel, when they hear about Hell"

please share you're thoughts on this subject (and please add the numbers with it on which you share)

i myself shall share some of them with you too, soon! because some of them i find quite strange, but i want to dig this out, and want to know what God says!

in Him,

William

2005/6/17 18:05Profile

Re: Hell

I have some random thoughts on quite a few in your list.

There is great truth in this, but, until they [i]are[/i] born, they are not independent children of God.

01- "why showing the negative side?"
Unless the negative side is understood, the gospel is not good news.

This is a tricky one, because some people have good reason to fear. But, it is love which casts out fear, so it's important to communicate that fear does not come from God, although [i]reverence[/i] - a fear of the power of God - is the beginning of wisdom - wisdom being to turn towards Him in repentance and faith!

This is close to the theory of innoculation - that a little bit of truth will put off the onset of the full-blown disease! I think it's important to make a clear case for God's judgment on mankind first, so the existence of Hell is understood with its reasons. Then, the way Hell can be avoided also makes sense and the death of Jesus Christ is understood more easily.

That's enough from me for now :-)

2005/6/17 20:30
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Be forewarned that some of my responses are a bit on the sarcastic side, but I mean it to be humorous and serious simultaneously. I feel like a lot of the struggle against talking about Hell is ridiculous. We’ve all heard that Christ spoke more on Hell than on Heaven, and I strongly feel that avoiding the issue will worsen matters. (Example: avoiding the issue of sex in church has led to young church-goers remaining abstinent from sex until marriage, but not counting oral and anal sex as actual “sex”)
So I approach this somewhat lightly, but seriously at the same time. Don’t take offense…it’s supposed to make you smile and think, not hurt anyone who these quotes may have originated from.

01 – “Why showing the negative side?”
So that they can’t say we didn’t warn them.

Well, he sure does try during the course of their entire life. If they don’t want Him to be their father, He’s enough of a gentleman not to force Himself on them. Hell isn’t a place God sends people…it’s a place they choose to go.

03- "talking about Hell is negative!"
No, it’s realistic.

04- "where is the love?"
With God, and if a person chooses to do without it, then their choice is honored in Hell.

05- "you offend them, and they will never ever want to hear it again"
They didn’t want to hear it in the first place. You’re there with good intentions, with the same warning God gives. You’re God’s messenger, not God. Christ said that whoever turns you away turns Him away (Luke 10:16). Don’t get offended, just do what you were commanded (Matthew 28:19).

How else is the fear of the Lord going to be instilled within them? Do we save it for Halloween?

07- "God has beautiful promises for them"
You bet He does! Praise Him for that! Now set them on the right track!

08- "you'll condemn them"
It’s not our place to judge, but to warn of God’s judgment.

09- "you give the devil too much glory when talking about hell or sin"
You give the devil too much glory by avoiding it for fear his mention’s impact on them.

10- "too much the focus on sin"
Yes, that IS what the average unsaved individual is guilty of.

11- "God has laid promises in men, they are not saved yet, but He will, and if you just tell them about those things (promises)"
He does have promises for them, but most of His promises are conditional. Do this, and this will happen. Get Saved, you’ll go to Heaven.

12- "does not The Holy Spirit convicts of sin?"
He does. But unbelievers are not filled with the Holy Spirit, and that quote alone implies that technically we don’t need to go out there and witness at all.

Welcome back to the touchy-feely love era of 70s Christianity. I’m sorry, but that sounds like the sugar-coated sweet talk of Satan. I don’t know who said that, but you might want to talk to someone about that. Sinners are sinners, and we’re covered with the filth of our actions and the wretch of this world before we’re washed clean by His blood. We’re not cute as babies, we’re as grotesque as monsters. We’re menstrual rags (Isaiah 64:6).

14- "why see everyone who is not in Christ as a sinner, and not as a person that God has a purpose with"
Because they are sinners, and that’s just a fact of life. They’re both sinners and people God has a plan for, but they’re sinners first, because until they’re redeemed, they’re not in God’s will and won’t be able to enjoy any of God’s better plans and purposes for their life.

Then they weren’t open to it to begin with.

After all that, I feel the need to say that witnessing is not all fire and brimstone. You don’t point someone out in a crowd and scream, “SINNER! THOU ART DAMNED TO HELL! BURN, ENEMY OF GOD, BURN!!!” Jesus ate with sinners, something that appalled the religious leaders of His day. If a friend of yours wanted to bungie jump and you saw that their was a rip in their bungie cord, would you keep it to yourself, for fear that they’d be insulted because they were the ones that chose the bungie cord? Well, if your neighbor is going to Hell because of their sinful choices, it’s probably not a good idea to keep it to yourself either.

2005/6/17 22:03Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

thanks Linn and Mary for your replies, what you say is true.

i have heard a couple of times, when someone shared the Gospel, that they said "God is as a Father, waiting to embrase you! like the lost son, waiting to take him in His arms"

well i do know what my Bible says, but it says that only through Grace and a personal relationship with Christ can make The Lord our Dad, our Father (Gal 3:26)

it is true that Jesus showed God as a Father and that He wants to be our Father, but the fact is that sinners have still the devil as father (Joh 8:44) and have a sinful nature.

you can't choose your a dad and mom when being born into this world, we where born in sin, which caused the devil to be our father, if we like it or not.

BUT!! through rebirth, to be born in Spirit! Jesus said "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." (Joh 3:3)

is the only way for us the to be childeren of God, for than we are in Christ, a new creature, old things are passed away, behold [b]everything[/b] has become new (2 Cor 5:17)

2005/6/18 6:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy