SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dedication of Solomon's Temple

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Dedication of Solomon's Temple

When Solomon finished praying, fire flashed down from heaven and burned up the burnt offerings and sacrifices, and the glorious presence of the Lord filled the Temple. 2 The priests could not enter the Temple of the Lord because the glorious presence of the Lord filled it. 3 When all the people of Israel saw the fire coming down and the glorious presence of the Lord filling the Temple, they fell face down on the ground and worshiped and praised the Lord, saying,

“He is good!
His faithful love endures forever!”
4 Then the king and all the people offered sacrifices to the Lord. 5 King Solomon offered a sacrifice of 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep and goats. And so the king and all the people dedicated the Temple of God. 6 The priests took their assigned positions, and so did the Levites who were singing, “His faithful love endures forever!” They accompanied the singing with music from the instruments King David had made for praising the Lord. Across from the Levites, the priests blew the trumpets, while all Israel stood.

7 Solomon then consecrated the central area of the courtyard in front of the Lord’s Temple. He offered burnt offerings and the fat of peace offerings there, because the bronze altar he had built could not hold all the burnt offerings, grain offerings, and sacrificial fat.

I did some quick checking and the amount of blood produced from that many cattle and sheep would be around 500,000 gallons. This is close to 16,000 barrels. It is hard for us to imagine this sort of thing.

2017/7/22 9:15Profile
docs

Re: Comparative value

For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins (Heb 10:4).

For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, his much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Heb 9:13-14)

That's an interesting stat for sure about the amount of blood shed at the dedication of Solomon's temple yet PTL for the blood shed without spot! Comparatively speaking, one iota of one drop of this blood is worth more than 500,000 gallons of the former. They think the reason water came forth from Christ at the spear wound in the side is because He had no more blood left to shed. He gave it all and was drained to the last drop. He didn't just pay for our redemption He overpaid to the last drop. Solomon's dedication surely spoke of better things.

For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul. (Lev 17:11)

2017/7/22 10:53Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: Dedication of Solomon's Temple

To put this in perspective, in the USA there are slaughter houses that can process up to 300 cattle an hour, that's 2400 per day and between 15,000 to 18,000 per week and that is just one of many, so multiply that by all the slaugher houses in the country and add to that sheep, pigs, chickens, etc and your talking billions of animals per year. All that must have vast amounts of blood that goes somewhere, but we never see it.

2017/7/22 12:08Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Heydave- I think it goes in hot dogs.

Art Katz talked about the gore and blood involved in the sacrifices in the OT- something we don't think about much. One thing I find amazing is how the priestly vestments were to be passed down. They must have been pretty bloody. No Tide back then. And of course you have to reach inside the animal to remove the kidneys and lobe of the liver.

I think his point was that if we had to do that we would have a greater regret for our sins.

But amen David- we don't have to do that.

2017/7/22 12:38Profile
docs

Re:

I remember hearing Art Katz speak of the gore the OT priests were involved in.

"The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faints. From the sole of the foot even to the head, there is no soundness in it, but wounds and bruises and putrefying sores; they have of been used or bound up, or soothed with ointment." (Isaiah 2:5-6)

That's a gory picture of the consequences of rebellion Christ bore and is a distinct pictures of Him as High Priest when He offered Himself and endured the further agony of crucifixion after He was physically assaulted. Gory to say the least. Our High Priest is very much familiar with blood and gore.

"There were many who were appalled at Him - His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and His form beyond human likeness...." (Isaiah 52:13-14)

At church we men are studying the atonement from Derek Prince's book "Bought with Blood." I'm realizing I have inadvertently somehow adopted a somewhat sanitized picture in my mind of our Lord's suffering before and on the cross. He was a horrifying mass of putrid septic wounds and was so severely mistreated He lost even the appearance of a human. The priests of the OT have nothing on Christ the High Priest when it comes to gore and blood. I have lost the true appreciation I should have for this.

I'm not preaching at you of anyone. Like I said, we are going through Brother Prince's book on the Atonement and it has been a piercing reminder. First and foremost, what is the cross? It is the SACRIFICE Jesus made when as Priest He offered up Himself. The BLOODY SACRIFICE.

2017/7/22 13:15Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I think "The Passion" was probably an accurate depiction which is why it is so horrifying to watch.

2017/7/22 13:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy