SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did Adam lose the Holy Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Did Adam lose the Holy Spirit?

Luke 3:38 Which was of Enos, which was of Seth,
which was of [b]Adam[/b], which [b]was of God[/b].

1 Peter 1
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. (Leviticus 20:7)

Here are my questions.

From the Bible, is it possible to say that when Adam fell [i]the Holy Spirit departed from him?[/i]

Or, was his purity before sin entered him, one of simple human sinlessness - [i]not[/i] one of 'holiness' in the same way as believers are now imputed through the blood of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

2005/6/17 9:16
couch

College Station, TX

Re: Did Adam lose the Holy Spirit?

1Co 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual.
The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.
As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven.
Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.
I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.
When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."

My personal belief is that Adam walked with God in a perfect Holy-Spirit communion with the Father. When he fell, he became unregenerate, sinful man.

However, I believe Adam repented of his sin and was justified and regenerated by faith.

2005/6/17 10:43Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

To take your question back a bit, was he ever filled with the Spirit?

2005/6/17 11:41Profile

Re:

Quote:
To take your question back a bit, was he ever filled with the Spirit?

This is another way to frame the meaning of my questions.

2005/6/17 12:53
preacher_ish

Atmore, AL

Dorcas, I guess by your question, youthink that Adam did at one time have the Spirit of God abiding on him?

I have always seen the ministry of the Spirit in the Old Testament as being different than His ministry today.

preacher_ish

2005/6/17 19:24Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
From the Bible, is it possible to say that when Adam fell the Holy Spirit departed from him?Or, was his purity before sin entered him, one of simple human sinlessness - not one of 'holiness' in the same way as believers are now imputed through the blood of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

That's a thought provoking question.

Adam was pure and innocent in the sense that he had no legal guilt. As long as he was obedient to God he would remain innocent. God put him in the garden so that his innocence might be transformed into moral character by a series of choices. It was to be a development from the natural to the spiritual.

We, of course, don't have that same innocence as Adam had naturally, only by Regeneration can we be innocent (free from legal guilt) as Adam was. So while our purity requires Regeneration, his did not.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/6/17 19:40Profile

Re: Did Adam lose the Holy Spirit - re - preacher_ish

Quote:
Dorcas, I guess by your question, you think that Adam did at one time have the Spirit of God abiding on him?

I have always seen the ministry of the Spirit in the Old Testament as being different than His ministry today.

Yes I have an opinion but, I was not planning on sharing it right at the beginning of the thread. :-P

What do you think? And, is there a reason you suggest the Holy Spirit may have been 'abiding [i]on[/i]' Adam?

2005/6/17 20:12
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re:

preacher_ish,

I've been meaning to ask you why you chose the figure of a Roman Catholic Inquisitioner for your Avatar. So why did you?

RT

2005/6/17 21:05Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Scripture is silent. So should we be as far as being dogmatic is concerned.

Of course nothing is wrong with speculation is we all admit that this is what we are doing. But we won't know perfectly until we are glorified.

Am I wrong?

RT

2005/6/17 21:07Profile
preacher_ish

Atmore, AL

Re:

Dorcas I never really thought of the Holy spirit abiding on Adam, although in the Old Testament dispensation the holy Spirit did come upon men and leave......

I can't find any evidence that the Spirit of God was dwelling or left Adam, which is not the case in King Saul, King David, etc......

I must admit that I think that there was conviction of the Spirit of God when Adam sinned.

Blessing my friend.
preacher_ish

2005/6/17 22:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy