Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | Live

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Discerning between emotion and true joy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Discerning between emotion and true joy

How do you discern whether a particular emotion comes from the flesh or from the spirit? When we spoke in the church about relationship, a brother said that you (as a Christian) can differentiate between soulish and spiritual relationship.

But how can I discern whether my own emotions are superficial temporary thing, or are coming from God? My father told me that I'm an emotional person (which I tend to agree with) and that can cause me a lot of trouble, because emotions can lead you to wrong decisions. Therefore, he said, I should take decisions after I've thought through the whole thing, in a calm mind.

Now, I agree with that. But... If I await with joy our worship service (for example) and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters, how do I know if that comes from my flesh or a worshiping heart?

2017/7/15 13:40Profile
emestiu

Re: Discerning between emotion and true joy

if your joy is solely based on worship/church service, and your joy only arise only that day, and not worshipping and devoting to Jesus Christ everyday of your life, then it is emotional only...

certainly it is in spirit when we devote to Jesus Christ all days of our life, wherever we are...

And, If you'd like to listen to this sermon of man of God Zac Poonen called "Soulish or Spiritual" that address your concern...

-> https://youtu.be/VHVRFOoYMBM

God Bless you, Sister Esther! ... have a joyful day!

: )

2017/7/15 14:15Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

"But how can I discern whether my own emotions are superficial temporary thing, or are coming from God?"

Every sincere believer will ask this question at some point in time in their walk with the Lord. The joy of the Lord is a fruit of the Spirit that is not dependent on circumstances. We can have joy even in the midst of tests and trials. On the other hand happiness is based on our surroundings and circumstances.

God gave us our emotions as part of our soul, so there is a proper place for emotions in the life of a believer. We are to love God with all of our being and that includes our emotions. However, we should never be led by our emotions. It is not a sign of spirituality to be emotional, neither is coldness and showing no emotion mean that a person is spiritual.

There is true joy when we are in the presence of God. There is true joy when we are walking in obedience to the Lord.

"You will show me the path of life: in your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures forevermore." (Psalm 16:11)

"These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full." (John 15:11)

2017/7/15 15:43Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Interesting question, Esther.

I, too, am an emotional person who has had to work to let my mind control its responses to whatever will arouse it...except for one thing - I still love to laugh and will let 'er rip if something is really funny....got a dose of meds for the day/week!

Joy that is spirit inspired is a true delight. When I read and study the WORD I experience a joy that cannot be experienced in any other way. I believe once a person experiences it he/she will soon be able to discerfn that which is natural or that which is spiritual.

Rabbit trail - be warned. When I went to Bible School back in the middle 60s,I took a course in family living - forget the official title, but you get the idea. Our insgtructor told us how a mother should not talk 'nothings'or immitate a child's babblings to him/her (talking about an infant). I tried after about the third child and have since regretted it. This kind of communication comes from a mama's emotions of love, thrill with having a newborn; it is emotional and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I cannot explain it but it is a gut feeling. He told us we should always use proper language...Now males will always do that, but hey! mamas are not males - we are females so please let us be females! We are more emotional then males and God made us thus and since this is the case do not work to minimize it, but do work to allow it to be Holy Spirit controlled.

God bless.

Sandra

2017/7/15 18:01Profile
dspks

Dakotas

“For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not.” Isaiah 30:15, KJV.

“And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.” Isaiah 32:17, KJV.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, JOY, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,” Galatians 5:22, KJV.

Joy is NOT based on emotions OR circumstance... It IS the fruit of the Spirit. You can be torn-up emotionally, hurt physically and STILL have JOY.

Joy is KNOWING (not feeling) that in-spite of circumstances I am in fellowship with God and in the center of His will!

2017/7/15 20:07Profile
Sree

Re:

Very good question. Very good answers as well. I agree with sister Evangeline. I took keep checking myself whether I am doing something in emotion or spiritual. We have to dig deep to hit the spirit and overcome multiple layers of human emotions, to lay our foundation on a solid rock.

A spiritual worship will come only when we are in this state of mind -

Psalms 73:25 - Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

2017/7/15 23:11Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

As we abide in Christ, as we allow Him to change us from glory to glory into His image, we will exercise our senses to discern what is of Him and what is not of Him. It is a process, not a procedure. There is no formula to apply other than to spend much time speaking to and listening to Him.

Quote:
Now, I agree with that. But... If I await with joy our worship service (for example) and the fellowship with the brothers and sisters, how do I know if that comes from my flesh or a worshiping heart?

In the specific case you gave, there is no need to try to differentiate anything. I would hope that any believer would await with joy the thought of gathering with brothers and sisters in Christ for the purpose of exalting God together. No need to overanalyze. This event makes me happy spirit and soul. No worries.

2017/7/16 18:30Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I have been thinking a lot about your question since I read it and posted a reply.
I would like to add one more thing: ask the Lord to reveal the answer to you. I can promise you He is far more interested in this question then you ever will be.
God bless.
Sandra

2017/7/16 18:52Profile
dohzman

John the Baptiser spoke it right when he said "Behold the Lamb of God who.........." as we behold the Lamb of God that becomes our joy unspeakable and FULL of Glory!!! every other concern will just disappear.

2017/7/16 21:02Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

I thank you all for the responses! They really helped me! I've just not been able to answer these days...

Quote:
Travis: no need to overanalize

Thanks for that, too! I think that with me sometimes there is a danger of focusing too much on fellowship and forget about the constant presence of God (which is actually an offense!) And from there comes my fear that all that joy might be just hot air.

"O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy tabernacles. Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy..." (Psalm 43:3,4)

Psalm 16:11 was also mentioned already - "in thy presence there is fulness of joy"

So I came to understand that God should be the source of my joy at all times! Not just when I think of our next meeting in church...

And there is yet something else that came to my mind: Jesus said: "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." And John says also: "I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full." (2 John 12).

So, am I rightly drawing from these verses the conclusion that our joy becomes full, when we ourselves have first joy from the fellowship with God and then to that is added the joy of fellowship with God's children, our fellow-believers?!

"And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full." (1 John 1:4)

God bless you,

2017/7/19 17:46Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy