SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A Thought Provoking Statement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re:

RE : /// We have the same thing in modern-day Christendom. There is so much focus on the written word, the Bible. That one fails to see Jesus as the fulfillment of the scriptures. One fails to see Jesus as the Living Word of whom the scriptures testify.///

No!

Modern Christendom's view about the Scriptures is exactly what the huffington post artical put forth :

Worshiping God, Not the Bible :
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-idom/the-bible-vital-tool-or-m_b_814058.html

Robert Schuler would be an excellant example of one whom sought to be spiritual apart from the Scriptures,
If need be we can look at him and others everything from Norman Peal to H. E. Fosdick to loyola etc. on those whom relied on there own personal spiritual experiences apart from the Scripture

and we can compare those to those whom Spiritual experiences originated and revolved around believing the Scripture to be Gods Word and believing the promises contained in it. such as Tyndale, Bunyan, Spurgeon etc.

2017/7/19 18:27Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Blain,

Please can you answer this previous question.

"So is Pilgrims Progress or Tozer's The pursuit of God on an equal level as the Bible? If not why not?"

2017/7/20 5:45Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Brother Bear, quote " One fails to see Jesus as the Living Word of whom the scriptures testify."

Surely this is not the fault of the Scriptures and do not make them any less "God breathed" ?
You yourself are continually quoting from those very scriptures to back up your argument, which I am sure we all grasp.

Our lack of spiritual perception and faith and Pharisaical pride and hard heartedness do not negate the purity of the Scriptures.

I can also say that I was not saved by the Scriptures but rather by a Mighty working of the Spirit of God revealing Christ in me, however now that I am saved I understand what the scriptures are about and can spiritually discern their value. Now I see clearly I understand they are the very Words of the Living God.

God bless,

2017/7/20 7:42Profile
docs

Re:

Scriptures are the very words of the living God. Amen! Just as He intended. What will God say to you that is not in Scripture?

2017/7/20 7:57Profile

Re:

""""""Our lack of spiritual perception and faith and Pharisaical pride and hard heartedness do not negate the purity of the Scriptures.

I can also say that I was not saved by the Scriptures but rather by a Mighty working of the Spirit of God revealing Christ in me, however now that I am saved I understand what the scriptures are about and can spiritually discern their value. Now I see clearly I understand they are the very Words of the Living God.""""""

Brother, you stated that so well. When I read the original post, I didn't see it the way many of you are taking it. I saw it as the pastor giving God the Father ALL the glory for the written scriptures. Yes the scriptures are absolutely HOLY, but just as Lisa stated, its not the paper and the binding that makes them holy...His Word was Holy before it was put on paper....does that make any sense? . That is how I honestly understood the the OP. Even if a bible was destroyed, the Word of God lasts for ever...and nothing compares to the Word. Im so very thankful for the written Word of God, as it is VERY precious to me, but it's what I do with the Word, and it's up to me to hide it in my heart. I am so sorry if you took the words I said as meaning the bible doesn't have value....no, no,, no.....you completely misunderstood, and I should have been more clear...Forgive me for that. I love Jesus with ALL of my heart and I love you all.

Also, I won't compromise the convictions I have, I do fear the Lord. If I see someone going the wrong direction, I want to extend the same hand of mercy Jesus extended to me, even if it doesn't make sense to my flesh. It doesn't mean I agree with sin, no not at all. I hate sin. I do have compassion for the lost, because I too, was lost in sin and needed someone to show me mercy and compassion through the love of Jesus.

This makes me think about a testimony I heard not long ago....

I remember Brother Yun sharing a testimony about something that happened in China. There were so many denominations. The believers were all at odds with one another over different things scripturally speaking. The division was so bad, the Lord allowed all of the church buildings, the bibles, and the hymnals to be destroyed. Many ended up in prison. The Lord tore down what man built, so He could build His church. It was many years later that revival broke out.

We cannot see one another hearts, nor can we hear the tone we use on the forum.

With much love in Christ Jesus,

2017/7/20 11:33
proudpapa

Spurgeon on Hebrews 4:12.

"...This shows us a great Truth of God which we might not otherwise have so clearly noted. How much that can be said of the Lord Jesus may be also said of the inspired volume! How closely are these two allied! How certainly do those who despise the one reject the other! How intimately are the Word made flesh and the Word uttered by inspired men, joined together!

It may be most accurate to interpret this passage as relating both to the Word of God Incarnate and the Word of God Inspired. Weave the two into one thought, for God has joined them together, and you will then see fresh lights and new meanings in the text. The Word of God, namely, this Revelation of Himself in Holy Scripture, is all it is here described to be, because Jesus, the Incarnate Word of God, is in it. He does, as it were, incarnate Himself as the Divine Truth in this visible and manifest Revelation. And thus it becomes living and powerful, dividing and discerning.

As the Christ reveals God, so this Book reveals Christ, and therefore it partakes, as the Word of God, in all the attributes of the Incarnate Word. And we may say many of the same things of the written Word as of the embodied Word. In fact, they are now so linked together that it would be impossible to divide them. This I like to think of, because there are some nowadays who deny every doctrine of Revelation and yet, indeed, they praise the Christ. The Teacher is spoken of in the most flattering style and then His teaching is rejected, except so far as it may coincide with the philosophy of the moment.

They talk much about Jesus, while that which is the real Jesus, namely, His Gospel and His inspired Word, they cast away. I believe I do but correctly describe them when I say that, like Judas, they betray the Son of Man with a kiss. They even go so far as to cry up the names of the doctrines, though they use them in a different sense that they may deceive. They talk of loyalty to Christ and reverence for the Sermon on the Mount—but they use vain words. I am charged with sowing suspicion. I do sow it and desire to sow it. Too many Christian people are content to hear anything so long as it is put forth by a clever man, in a taking manner.

I want them to try the spirits, whether they are of God, for many false prophets have gone forth into the world. What God has joined together, these modern thinkers willfully put asunder and separate the Revealer from His own Revelation. I believe the Savior thinks their homage to be more insulting than their scorn would be. Well may He do so, for they bow before Him and say, “Hail, Master!” while their foot is on the blood of His Covenant and their souls abhor the doctrine of His substitutionary sacrifice.

They are crucifying the Lord afresh and putting Him to an open shame by denying the Lord that bought them, by daring to deride His purchase of His people as a “mercantile transaction,” and I know not what of blasphemy beside. Christ and His Word must go together. What is true of the Christ is here predicated both of Him and of His Word. Behold this day the everlasting Gospel has Christ within it. He rides in it as in a chariot. He rides in it as, of old, Jehovah “did ride upon a cherub and did fly—yes, He did fly upon the wings of the wind.” It is only because Jesus is not dead that the Word becomes living and effectual, “and sharper than any two-edged sword.”

If you leave Christ out of it, you have left out its vitality and power. As I have told you that we will not have Christ without the Word, so neither will we have the Word without Christ. If you leave Christ out of Scripture, you have left out the essential Truth of God which it is written to declare. Yes, if you leave out of it Christ as a Substitute, Christ in His death, Christ in His garments dyed in blood, you have left out of it all that is living and powerful. How often have we reminded you that as concerning the Gospel, even as concerning every man, “the blood is the life thereof”—a bloodless Gospel is a lifeless Gospel!"

2017/7/20 14:01Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Dear sister,

I, for one, did not think any of you were disparaging the Scriptures.

I do understand where bro Bear was coming from.

I was just wanting to give a balanced view, my two cents...

Blessings,

2017/7/20 15:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy