SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | Live

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A Thought Provoking Statement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
bearmaster

A Thought Provoking Statement

I remember in a conversation with a retired pastor he made a rather controversial but yet a thought-provoking comment.

He remarked that the Bible is not a holy book. But the Bible is a book about One who is holy.

Bro Blaine

2017/7/14 8:35Profile
yuehan

Re: A Thought Provoking Dtatement

Surely the Bible is holy, as everything written by the Holy One is holy.

2017/7/14 9:27Profile
emestiu

Re: A Thought Provoking Statement (?)

What is the point of calling the Bible? a "Holy Bible"? if the book itself is not holy? ... what is written in the Bible are all Holy Spirit inspired scribes and epistles...

The author of the Bible is a HOLY GOD, written by Holy Spirit filled men of God, that made the Scripture itself a holy one...

// "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away. ~ Matthew 24:35, Jesus Christ //

2017/7/14 10:23Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Brother,

The Bible itself calls itself "Holy Scriptures"

Also calls the people of God "Holy" and the faith "Holy" and the Church "Holy.

Though it sounds nice what the pastor is saying it is not correct. But his point is the Scriptures themselves speak of the Holy God and that is true. "Beyond the Sacred page I seek Thee."

2017/7/14 10:34Profile
havok20x

Re:

By sheer definition, the Bible is Holy. Holy means to be set-apart. The content within is just that, set-apart. Now, the means and methods for creating a Bible (book, scrolls, .pdf file, etc) those are not holy in and of themselves; the entirety of the contents are.

Twice the scriptures refer to themselves as holy scriptures (thanks, Greg!), and 2 different words are used for holy. One is hagios, which means holy and also is the word we use for saints (we are literally THE Holy). And Heiros, which means sacred or of divinity. Either way, scriptures themselves are holy.

We have to be careful, because if we travel down the road of saying, "The scriptures are not holy, but God is"), then we move toward idolatry. Here's how it'll play out:

1) Bible isn't holy
2) Bible isn't holy, because it was written in part by man.
3) Bible was written in part by man, so there are some places that are erroneous or simply opinion.
4) Since the bible is no longer a completely trustable authority, I can rely on my feelings to guide me where I feel like the Bible errs.
5) I worship God in the way that feels right, as long as it doesn't color too far outside the lines.
6) I define the lines.

And boom! You have post-modernism/post-truth Christianity, where we have successfully diminished our view of scripture, and now are doing what is right in our own eyes, and worshipping a "god" of our own making.

Welcome to the USA.

2017/7/14 12:37Profile
bearmaster

Re:

If we say the Bible is holy then is this not opening up bibliolatry? Is this not opening up worship of the Bible?

Bro Blaine

2017/7/14 14:34Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re:

That will be a YES from me for the record! I am guilty, I am an idolator from which I will not repent! LOL!

2017/7/14 15:14Profile
Lysa

East TN (for the time being)

Re: A Thought Provoking Statement

Considering that Gutenberg didn't invent the printing press until 1450 and the actually Holy Bible is only 567 yrs old compared to following the Lord for 4450 yrs before that, how can we say the paper is all that holy?

Come on, friends! "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth." ~ John 4:24

God bless,
Lisa

2017/7/14 15:40Profile
havok20x

Re:

The ONLY ways to make the Bible an idle is to elevate It above God or to believe that I must use the Bible as a charm to grant me access to God.

I agree with what God has decided regarding His own words:

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward Your holy temple, And praise Your name For Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.

Lysa, I most certainly agree that we must worship in spirit and truth, so my question to you is this: what is truth, what is it's source, and how has the Lord chosen to convey that truth?

2017/7/14 21:32Profile
bearmaster

Re: Havok

•••••••

Lysa, I most certainly agree that we must worship in spirit and truth, so my question to you is this: what is truth, what is it's source, and how has the Lord chosen to convey that truth.

•••••••

Should the question not be Who is truth? Did Jesus not say I am the way and the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father but through Me?

Is truth not in a Person? And does not that Person have a name who is called Jesus?

Bro Blaine

2017/7/14 21:43Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy