SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Eugene Peterson on changing his mind about same-sex issues and marriage

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Eugene Peterson on changing his mind about same-sex issues and marriage

When a journalist has a chance to interview a paragon of the Christian faith like Eugene Peterson, there’s a lot of pressure to pick the perfect questions. I’d asked him about why he was leaving the public eye and if he was afraid of death. I’d asked him about Donald Trump and the state of American Christianity. But there was one more topic I wanted to cover: same-sex relationships and marriage.

It’s one of the hottest topics in the church today, and given Peterson’s vast influence among both pastors and laypeople, I knew his opinion would impact the conversation. Though he has had a long career, I couldn’t find his position on the matter either online or in print. I did discover that “The Message,” Peterson’s popular paraphrase of the Bible, doesn’t use the word “homosexual” and “homosexuality” in key texts. But this wasn’t definitive proof of anything. After all, those words never appear in any English translation of the Bible until 1946.

So here we discuss his views on this divisive topic. Peterson’s answers are measured, but pointed and provocative.

read more: http://religionnews.com/2017/07/12/eugene-peterson-on-changing-his-mind-about-same-sex-issues-and-marriage/

2017/7/12 16:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Eugene Peterson on changing his mind about same-sex issues and marriage

Now another church icon has fallen...

Sad. Unfortunately, I suspect we will see many more.

I am shocked at how fast they are being exposed. Maybe this is God's way of weaning people from following man instead of looking to the WORD for absolute authority on issues that dog us today?

Sandra

2017/7/12 17:16Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Now another church icon has fallen...

Sad. Unfortunately, I suspect we will see many more.

I have heard few (at least 4) years back itself not so good things about Eugene from a very trusted believer friend of mine. He did not want me to refer to message Bible for this reason as its author is not a trustworthy christian. But around the same time, I also heard from a very trusted Christian source say good things about Eugene and hence his message translation is trust worthy!

I do not know which one is true. But I have decided not to use message Bible.

2017/7/12 17:26Profile
staff

Re:

Hi all
So I dont know this guy but surely he can understand that Christ who confronted the sin of the woman at the well in having 5 husbands? would understand that Christ would also equally confront a worship leader about being gay without even having to differentiate the sins or the difference of the sins.(not that this is unimportant it is).
Does the Church he is in know its in transition like he said ?Is their a simple lack of honesty with his own congregration on top of everthing.
Its a basic basic as a Christian leader to know that homosexuality is wrong on many levels.
1.Its a sin because its sexual sin like the woman at the well.Its a sin
2.Its a sin because its outside a female -male relationship
3.It excludes God from being involved in this relationship
4.It goes against everything a Creative God is all about.

I'm probably missing other important aspects.....but it is strange that leaders cant get the basic of basics right....
urs staff

2017/7/12 18:49Profile
leyoung

Re:

For a man who re-wrote the Bible, it is clear he did it without clear doctrinal understanding.

While many rejoiced in this 'dumbing down' version of The Message, I was rather horrified at the liberties Mr. Peterson took. Still many Christians I know loved it and passed it out to others.

In the article above, Peterson's total ignorance of homosexuality as being directly opposed to God's set order of male and female design and roles really shocks me,well actually nothing is shocking me much anymore but it is grievous to see the apostasy going on.

Open blind eyes, Lord!!!

L

2017/7/12 20:34Profile
dohzman

may I shed some light

Nuance, basically it means shading or variations. When you look at these biblical scholars the rub comes in with classic Greek and the Hebrew language. These men and women look at all the various nuances in a specific word which should bring about a richer meaning of a word and they toy around with over all meanings, normally isolating that word and than they take it out of context and make doctrine out of it. In most cases in areas where scripture speaks plainly about a specific, in this case sin of homosexuality, you can almost take it to the bank that the individual is either engaged in that sin or is very close to a loved one in their family or a close friend that is engaged in that sin, so subconsciously they strive to justify that character flaw or active sin via the very thing they have lived off of, ie the Word of God. Jesus warned that to add to or take away from the Word of God would have eternal consequences for any and all believers. What a shame:(

2017/7/12 22:13Profile

Re: may I shed some light

Why is this "one of the hottest topics in the church today...?" And why only expose this part of the problem?

Most of us know that EP wrote a book called "The Message" .
That book contains expressions that are from the occult.
And yet he calls it the "Bible" and over 10 million copies have already been sold and those who are reading it are suptly being deceived. Many read it from the pulpit to the very flock the should protect.!
Many read it because they think it is God's Word and easier to understand and it will help them eventually.
The easy way is the broad way.

The fall started with a simple question: "has God really said..."

2017/7/13 16:34
dohzman

Re:

Why is this "one of the hottest topics in the church today...?" And why only expose this part of the problem?

So true there is one thing to consider on this topic though, of all the sins listed in the Bible it seems like homosexuality gets the fastest judgement response from God.

2017/7/13 17:51Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Eugene Peterson Retracts Support for Gay Marriage, Says He Was 'Put on the Spot'

http://www.christianpost.com/news/eugene-peterson-retracts-support-for-gay-marriage-says-he-was-put-on-the-spot-191882/

2017/7/13 21:07Profile
romanchog

Re:

Thats not much of a retraction.

"That's not something I would do out of respect to the congregation, the larger church body, and the historic biblical Christian view and teaching on marriage. That said, I would still love such a couple as their pastor. They'd be welcome at my table, along with everybody else."

So he's not retracting it because he believes the Bible is true but because it will offend certain Christians and Christian "traditions," which apparently have nothing to do with God's word.

And while I would agree that such a couple should be welcome at his table, as should any sinner, if he is their pastor he should be bringing up their sin and that would mean telling them that their current relationship is against God's word. I would assume he would say the same thing to adulterers or co-habitating couples.

2017/7/14 1:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy