Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Faith without works

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
denem7

Orange Park, FL

Faith without works

first of all, i understand that we are "saved by grace" and not by works.

but the bible DOES say that faith without works is dead.

what do you suppose it is that keeps (some) of us from becoming men and women of "action"? why do you suppose peter got out of the boat while the others simply watched? in that instance ,peter was a man of action while the others were not.

i ,like many christians, have a super head-knowledge of God and His Word (that I've applied to my own life) but i'm not sharing the good news with anyone else....

it's possible that i'm not a man of action because of one of the following reasons:
1- either i'm too lazy or apathetic
2- or i'm too fearful
3- or i'm not in complete understanding of God's will (although i thought i knew it)
4- or all of the above
5- or none of the above

i desire to glorify God in a BIG way but i'm not quite sure how....

does anyone else here struggle with this?

dennis

2005/6/16 17:47Profile

Re: Faith without works

Quote:

denem7 wrote:
but the bible DOES say that faith without works is dead.

I believe the church dwells on 'faith alone' too much and kills the idea of ACTION, and i believe thats why we are so lazy, cause 'faith alone' too much, not enough preaching on 'repentance' or 'LIVING out your faith.'

Quote:
what do you suppose it is that keeps (some) of us from becoming men and women of "action"?

Doubt. I think thats the main reason. We doubt 'God can use us' in any way. We (Strongly the American church) think we must be "Billy Graham" but many people don't realize Billy Graham just one man and doesn't have a 'sound' background, and also he even said that 'Souls are won, with a smaller crowd not such a large one'

2005/6/16 19:28

Re:

Continued **

If you can see ONE person get saved, truly saved, you are ahead of probly 75-85 % of today's christians.

Quote:
does anyone else here struggle with this?

Yes, i think many of us, if not all of us struggle with some of your problems. "Fear" yes we probly all do.

But what do we fear more God or man? Or better yet (for me) where is our concern for other's future.

You can witness to people with ACTIONS (serving others) or by words. I encourage BOTH. Christ showed the natural to people BEFORE He preached to them. Then He showed them the spiritual and their need for the Father.

There are many sites for help. Here are a few.

Livingwaters.com Ray Comfort's ministry
onfirechristian.com (video area...go to the bottom with Ray Comfort's preaching)
servantevangelism.com ACTIONS to help 'how to serve.

Simply put, just do something random, to a friend or something and just say 'Cause Jesus Loves You'.

2005/6/16 19:30
preacher_ish

Atmore, AL

I wonder if it is we are unwilling to die daily?
It tis a hard thing to do.

preacher_ish

2005/6/16 19:44Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Yes even Paul of old wrote of shaking before speaking God's word.

today I work while I can as we don't know how much time we have. In a thread,"A new Martyr in Heaven" my brother was looking forward to working this summer with his people,when he was taken from us here. It is all down in an update in the post from Brother Ron Hutchcraft.
My Brother who was taken will be missed.
Let us work as in today for we don't know what tomorrow holds

2005/6/16 19:57Profile
preacher_ish

Atmore, AL

Re:

"Let us work as in today for we don't know what tomarrow holds"

Hope you don't mind... consider this "Let us work as in today for there is NO tomorrow".

If you stop and think about it, there is NO tomorrow in the Lord's work... only today.... for today is the day of salvation.

preacher_ish

2005/6/16 22:48Profile

Quote:
If you stop and think about it, there is NO tomorrow in the Lord's work... only today.... for today is the day of salvation.

This is a very good point. I remember a time when I could not function in the 'present tense' - I always had to be [i]planning[/i], to give me a sense of security about 'the future'! Gradually, God put me in circumstances which removed that level of control I could exert on my own future and I remember it being trimmed down to about 3 days. This, is still TOO LONG.

Today is the day of salvation because He is I AM. As we connect with Him in prayer through the Spirit, we interface with the great I AM's eternal qualities. This is what gives us vision and strength to put into action what He directs, as Jesus did. At least, that's the way I see it now.

John 5
18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to [b]kill[/b] him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth [them]; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

I'd say there the opposition to Godliness, is pretty rampant, in the world. It's a good plan to come to terms with that (counting the cost before going to war, so to speak) and becoming unafraid of our own inabilities, so we can get used to depending on the Lord for everything. This is a process, but it ties in with what happened to the ten lepers.

Luke 17
12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
13 And they lifted up [their] voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
14 And when he saw [them], he said unto them, [b]Go[/b] shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, [b]as they went, they were cleansed[/b].
15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,
16 And fell down on [his] face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where [are] the nine?
18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: [b]thy faith hath made thee whole[/b].

This undermines most of the excuses we may think we have - again, this is only my take - it still takes faith to walk in obedience, trusting we are clean and use-able by God.

2005/6/16 23:16
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

Old Native phrase," Today is a GOOD day to die."
It works for me being a Christian and a native, to die daily to self, seeking him first.
I've found if we are doing Gods will the devil has a way of finding us, so it makes sence, the Spirits words "that having done all stand"
I have been blessed to meet some people who are strong prayer warriors. knowing the word has to say that we all don't have the same gifts. we must listen to the spirit and give an answer to all who ask us of are hope. so stay in the fight, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and him only.
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be you transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12: 1,2

2005/6/17 1:02Profile
Spitfire

Hi Dennis. Your post says exactly how I felt one year ago. I joined SI in August, 04. Over the course of this year, I have listened to probably 300-400 available downloads. I bought an mp3 player to do it. As I have listened to men who are impassioned for the gospel, I've understood what is wrong with me. I did not know God. You can't tell someone about something if you don't know it yourself.

So many of us have been trying to describe a priceless thing that we haven't ever even seen ourselves. We've heard about it, but we haven't come to know about it.

Spend time in fasting and just tell God you want to really know him. Tell him you are willing to pay the full price, because it will cost you everything to really know God. That's why only a few really do.

I told a friend of mine just the other day. I can count on one hand the people that I believe really know God right here around me. Most of us say we want to know God, but we still want to retain our life. We still have our own agenda. Until we've given up our own agenda, we haven't even begun to know God. Love, Dian.

2005/6/17 6:05Profile

Re:

Quote:
Old Native phrase," Today is a GOOD day to die."

I like it! Thank you for sharing this. It comes at an appropriate time for me to retain for personal use :-D

2005/6/17 8:38

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy