SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : God's Command to Abraham to Sacrifice Isaac

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

God's Command to Abraham to Sacrifice Isaac

Ok, I am going to ask something that has bugged me for a long time.

Everyone loves the story of God commanding Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. It's a great story with a lot of depth and meaning.

But does it bother anyone that what God asked Abraham to do was nothing short of human sacrifice? Why would God command a human sacrifice, regardless of whether he knew ultimately it would not happen?

In at least one other case (Jepthah's vow)it is strongly indicated in the text that He in fact accepted a human sacrifice- the text says Jepthah fulfilled his vow which evidently means God did not intervene.

2017/6/30 14:24Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: God's Command to Abraham to Sacrifice Isaac

Heb 11:17
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

Heb 11:18
of whom it was said, “In Isaac your seed shall be called,”[fn]

Heb 11:19
concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative sense.

The focus is not on human sacrifice but on faith. We are given a detailed testimony of Abraham's life with respect to God's promise being worked out in the life of Abraham. Through walking with the Lord, his failures or lack of understanding, Abraham witnessed how God established His promise with Abraham. After living so long witnessing God's work, Abraham was able to conclude that even though he didn't understand how God was going to accomplish His promise, "In Isaac your seed shall be called," but because God had always been faithful in the past, He would also keep His promise this time.

This testimony highlights the inability of man to understand beforehand what He is able to accomplish in those who hear His word and do what He says. Human sacrifice as you suggest is troubling, that is the point of this testimony, the hope for the substance of what is not seen.

Just think of how Isaac's understanding changed that day.

2017/6/30 15:17Profile
docs

Re:

God confirmed the land promises to Abraham in his command to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham died never having completely received the promises and passed still seeing them from a distance. Yet God had promised Abraham that he himself personally would inherit the land along with his descendants after him and they would dwell there perpetually. Isaac was as good as dead in the Lord's eyes because Abraham not only fully intended to sacrifice him but was actually in the act of performing the sacrifice of the child of promise. So God counted it as done and Isaac was given back to Abraham in a typological manner of the resurrection. Abraham knew if Isaac was indeed the child of promise a resurrection would have to occur after the sacrifice of Isaac. And Abraham knew Isaac's resurrection would be a guarantee of his (Abraham) own personal resurrection that would allow permanent continuance in the land. Resurrection and eternal life were not unknown in the world of Abraham's day. Jesus said Abraham looked ahead to His day and rejoiced when he saw it. Why would Joseph ask that his bones be carried back to Canaan unless he was anticipating a resurrection? Abraham looked ahead to a day when the curse had been reversed and the Deliverer of Genesis 3:15 (strongly prefigured in the sacrifice of Isaac) would have come and gone His work of undoing the curse. Likely Abraham looked ahead and saw a day of deliverance and resurrection that would allow him and his descendants to live in the land continually free from the curse. It is doubtful that when Abraham asked God, "How shall I know that I shall possess the land?," that he had in mind a entirely other worldly heavenly realm. The Hebrews never divorced the coming kingdom from all earthly association. What better befits a "better country" than a land whose inhabitants have transcended death and are living free from the curse that enveloped them and their descendants unto death? An inward regeneration made possible by the atonement of the coming Deliverer and His resurrection from the dead assures Abraham's own resurrection. In Isaac, Abraham looked ahead to Jesus' day and rejoiced when he saw it (John 8:56). Perpetual continuance in the land is not possible without a personal resurrection of Abraham himself. The promised Deliverer has come and has offered and sacrificed Himself even unto death yet was personally resurrected. The problem of sin and its consequences stood in the way of the fulfillment of the promises made to Abraham including the specific land promises. Now the personal resurrection of Christ is living proof the obstacles have been removed. Abraham and his descendants dwelling in the land continually will be a resurrection phenomena of new inward resurrection life and personal bodily resurrection.

2017/7/1 11:25Profile
Sree

There is also a deeper spiritual meaning to sacrifice of Isaac. Abraham here is a symbol of God the father sacrificing his own son for us. If that is not human + God sacrifice then what is that?

2017/7/1 11:55Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Our salvation depends on human sacrifice.

2017/7/1 12:38Profile

Re:

•••Our salvation depends on human sacrifice.•••

Respectfully no brother. Our salvation depends on the death of the Son of God for our sins. For the gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Do any in the Forum dispute this?

Bro Blaine

2017/7/1 12:45
docs

Re:

I think drifter had your statements in mind bear when he made his comment.

2017/7/1 13:04Profile
EAGLEFLYING

But does it bother anyone that what God asked Abraham to do was nothing short of human sacrifice? Why would God command a human sacrifice, regardless of whether he knew ultimately it would not happen?

Some thoughts from my heart ..

This is what I believe... God wanted to see if Abraham loved Him more than he loved his son.. If God asks us anything we should obey.. Obedience is the highest form of worship.I believe...
I believe God is a jealous God and we are to love Him first above all else. This is the greatest commandment.
Deut 6:4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. 6And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.”

2017/7/1 13:30Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

"Our salvation depends on the death of the Son of God for our sins."

Right, what I said. He sacrificed Himself for our sins. That's human sacrifice.

Kind of silly to split hairs over terminology.

2017/7/1 13:59Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Lots of good responses:)

Another potential is when we want a thing and when God delivers we sometimes become enamored with the gift. Abraham wanted a son and he waited a long time before God delivered Isaac,... and so perhaps God was also testing wether Abraham loved Isaac (the gift) more than the giver (God).

This particular biblical story is overflowing with teaching, more than most in my experience. Every aspect is pregnant with meaningful foreshadowing of our coming Christ. Never get tired of hearing thoughts/preaching on Abraham.

Another really cool thing about God being faithful to His promise to make Abraham the father of many nations whose seed would number as the stars is this-
Many of us grew up singing, "father Abraham has many sons, I am one of them and so are you so let's just praise the Lord", as children....
Now some 3800+ yrs after Abraham, on a continent they didn't know existed, in a country not yet existing,... we identify ourselves as Gods children thru the obedience of Abraham!
I can't imagine that Abraham had the slightest clue to the degree which God would honor His promise-

We serve an awesome God:)

2017/7/1 16:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy