SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Name of downloaded files

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Name of downloaded files

Could it please be taken into _serious_ consideration to rename all the files (before SermonIndex gets any bigger) to something more meaningful than "SID0871.mp3"

Something more like:
AWTozer-SermonNameHere.mp3
would be very helpful.

Also, removing the redirect and making the links direct would help to.

2003/10/18 3:54
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Name of downloaded files

Quote:
Could it please be taken into _serious_ consideration to rename all the files (before SermonIndex gets any bigger) to something more meaningful than "SID0871.mp3"

It has been much easier to have this naming convention. I took it after the model of [url=www.sermonaudio.com]www.sermonaudio.com[/url] that has over 20,000 mp3 up online now!! Personally I am not trying to re-create the wheel but to use what is successful in the past and go with it. It does leave you some work to change the filename from "SID0871.mp3" to "AWTozer-SermonNameHere.mp3" but I am sure that most of the webusers are capable to do this.

Quote:
Also, removing the redirect and making the links direct would help to.

I am intrested to know how that would help? hmm and the reason why it appears like that is so that the script can count everytime the file is downloaded so I can have stats on how many downloads there are. i.e. the front page stats block.

2003/10/18 11:12Profile

Re: naming conventions and redirections

Our goal as web masters is to make everything as simple as possible for end users. I've been designing web sites, award winning web sites and full commercial sites for many years, so I feel qualified to speak on this.

Without seeing your backend, sorry, I mean your WEBSERVER'S backend, I can't comment to strongly, but I don't see why it would be much of a problem.

Also, no script is needed for logging, all web servers provide log files that contain this data. The reason for doing this is to allow people more control. I can't drag a link to a folder and have it download, because the link is not to a file, but to another link, so instead it saves a URL file, not the audio file. Also, many 3rd party applications will not kick in when you're using scripts for redirection. Again, the web server log can provide all the info anyway.

2003/10/19 1:14
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Name of downloaded files

Dear Greg and Friends,
I took on quite a bit of work some time ago. I wanted to put my favourites on CD.
Sparks and Tozer together broke the 650 pieces level.
I renamed them all for the sake of having a very short label, yet including a reference to speaker like “LR Desperate Prayer” for a Ravenhill favourite.
Renaming caused no confusion or thoughts on better ways concerning the original labelling.
Conformity is all too often an enemy – even in this realm.
Keep up the good work – it is very good!
Lars

2003/10/19 3:24Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

I just use the right-click button and select the save-as option. Then I can name the files. It also allows me to select the folder they are stored in, making them easier to locate.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2003/10/19 15:17Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy