Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Collaborative Download

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mattzab

Colorado, USA

Collaborative Download

Hello,

There is a gentleman on these forums that is trying to download a full archive of the (audio) sermons available here. I know it's taking him a long time, and he's got other things on his plate besides downloading sermonindex.

I'd like to appeal to the community here that we, as a group, bless this man by helping contribute to what he's doing. Take the load off, where we can.

My suggestion is that we work on this as a collaborative effort- open source style.

If we download the software listed on the About Us page, that allows us to mass download sermons from speakers, we could each contribute.

If you're willing, choose a letter of the alphabet, and download all of the sermons from every speaker in that letter. Once you have downloaded them all, you can share them to me through Google Drive, I'll make a copy of it all, then notify you that you can free up your drive space.
[Share to my Google Drive account. mattzab!#mattzab.com but convert the !# to the @ symbol]

Also, to coordinate what letters are remaining to be downloaded, and which have been taken already, we can use this format when volunteering to participate.

I'm taking letter: A

Letters Remaining:
BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Letters Claimed:
A

When you choose to volunteer, just copy/paste the last person's post and modify the alphabet by moving a letter from the remaining section to the claimed section.

I think this is would help to bless the brother that's serving the community by providing a single link that allows the download of all sermons in one click.

Blessings in Christ,
Matt

2017/6/25 0:11Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: Collaborative Download

Hello Matt, what is his purpose to download everything ? I hope you don't mind me asking. As we would want to know if its a hopeless task or not.

2017/6/25 5:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Collaborative Download

Quote:
I'd like to appeal to the community here that we, as a group, bless this man by helping contribute to what he's doing. Take the load off, where we can.

My suggestion is that we work on this as a collaborative effort- open source style.

Brother Matt,

This is a tremendous idea. I hope you are aware there is a software that you can download that allows you to download all the sermons of any speaker automatically. You would still have to download each speaker manually but all the sermons are re-titled and put in folders by speaker name:

Q. How Do you download multiple sermons automatically?
Answer. To download multiple sermons automatically we have created a SermonIndex Software application that you can download on your desktop computer. We encourage believers to download many or all of the 250GB mp3 archive with this tool to help share these sermons with others and provide multiple backups of them all around the world. Here are the installers for the Software: Windows, Linux, Mac. (The linux and mac version of the software requires technical knoweldge please view this article for help).
https://www.sermonindex.net/contact.php

Towards uploading the content in folders by speaker on google drive or drop box etc, this is a tremendous idea. Any saints are free to re-distribute these sermons as they best feel fit.

I wrote this a few years ago when we first released the software:

---

Saints,

The Lord spoke through a brother that he saw SermonIndex as the grain in Joseph’s day. That was many months ago and recently a brother shared that he felt led to compile a software program for SermonIndex so believers could download sermons easily to their computer and then share them with others. I believe this is one way the Lord is going to fulfill the word He spoke towards SermonIndex being like the grain of Joseph in the end-times. As many churches are ceasing to preach the truth and society as a whole is becoming abusive towards the Good News of Jesus Christ. There will be less avenues to access God’s word and godly sermons that will edify God’s people.

We are encouraging all believers who have a computer to download this software and download many sermons to their computer hard-drives. From there you can listen to sermons easily and also download ALL the sermons of one speaker easily. Our heart in this is that God’s people would be able to share these resources with many and have them stored like grain for a time when even SermonIndex.net itself might not be available. This will also provide multiple back-ups of SermonIndex across the world.

---

There also are a few brothers that I know that already have all the sermons downloaded and could possibly fill a hard-drive up with all the sermons and videos. Contact me for more information: [email protected]

I would encourage saints to get behind what Matt is proposing to have an archive of the site across google drive accounts.

2017/6/25 7:06Profile
mattzab

Colorado, USA

Re:

For now, I've set up a public folder on my Google Drive account that can be freely added to. The link is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4pXyK-2Hp-4SzJTV09pcUZ3RTA

As long as this is not abused, anyone here can upload what they have. Please only upload whole collections. For example, if I've downloaded only one third of AW Tozer's sermons, I shouldn't add that folder to this Google Drive space. I should only add the AW Tozer folder if I have everything available.

Blessings in Christ!
Matt

2017/7/1 20:48Profile
ET101

Re:

I believe this to be a very important project and I want to help with it. I'm in the middle of transitioning to a new laptop, internet connection etc. so I will not be able to help until I am settled.

May I offer for your consideration these quick undeveloped 'half-thoughts:'

-It seems to me downloading to only then upload again is going about it the wrong way (would constitute more time+work in the end, I think). Is there a better way?

-Considering that there are people who have the full 250gB library downloaded, it may be worth looking at top-notch (but free?) compression software to compress it down. Then making it shareable online, say in 10 chunks.

-Also even without compressing the library, it should fit on 54 DVDs at 4.7gB/DVD. A pack of 100 DVDs can retail in the US for as little as USD20. See here:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxell-639016-4-7-DVD-Discs/dp/B001GXCVH0/ref=pd_day0_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001GXCVH0&pd_rd_r=N72TE2WHGHP7ARPK86RB&pd_rd_w=iCaFP&pd_rd_wg=Q5FXP&psc=1&refRID=N72TE2WHGHP7ARPK86RB

Maybe someone may volunteer to, say for example, make copies offline for 1-5 other people and post the 55 DVDs to each if recipients will cover all costs?

Then once each of these recipients has made copies, they could forward the 55 DVD-set to a further 1-5 people etc. at recipients' expense etc. etc.?

Just thinking out-loud and trying to offer alternatives to save us work and time. . .still needs some thought but you see the kinds of alternatives I'm thinking about. . .

Like I say, I'm tied down for now.

Thanks!

2017/7/3 9:23Profile
mattzab

Colorado, USA

Re:

Excellent thoughts. I had considered mailing a hard drive, but hadn't considered the cost of DVDs. The time it takes to burn 54 DVDs might exceed the time it takes to download and re-upload the library. Not sure on that one.

Another alternative could be that someone that already has the entire 250GB archive could set up a torrent and we could download it.

Once I'm able to obtain the entire library of content, I'm uploading it to Google Drive in order to provide folks with a single click download. Or to help someone that's working on that goal, at least.

So the long "download only to re-upload" method is our cheapest route financially, it just takes more time than all the other alternatives.

Also, as far as I'm aware, there isn't any technology that can compress audio well enough to be worthwhile. We'd likely end up compressing the 250GB library into ten- 25GB zip files (or 7z/tar.xz) If someone knows of some compression software that outperforms what's been around for all these years, I'd love to hear about it. Always excited to hear about new compression methods.

While we are brainstorming, another thought I had is this:
Someone (not me) who knows Java well could modify the current download application that's available at the bottom of the About Us page. I don't know how hard this would be, but couldn't it be as simple as changing a few lines of code to cause the downloader to do as it already does, but to download every sermon for every speaker?

If this last option were the case, I have access to an extremely fast internet connection. I could have the entire 250GB archive downloaded, and re-uploaded to Google Drive in under two hours. (Google Drive, or Amazon S3 with a .torrent available)

Finally my brethren,
as far as the torrent idea goes, I know you can create torrents using S3 buckets. Aside from that, the only torrent site I am familiar with or use is LinuxTracker. Outside of that, I don't know anything about where we ought to list this torrent, if we choose to go that route. I do know that there are, or have been, many illegal torrent sites. I'd think it wise to avoid those altogether, including sites that advertise "legal torrents" that are violating copyright anyway.

Blessings in Christ, brothers!
Matt

2017/7/6 17:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy