SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Tragedy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

A Tragedy

I would like to share something with y'all....thought it might help someone.

We had a tragedy happen in our community. A brother, who is a member of our church, drowned. He is a father of eight children, ages 21 -6 years, three of whom are hearing impaired. He is forty-two years old.

So what happened? He was jet-skiing with his two daughters, both hearing impaired, when they dumped, spilling all into the water. None wore life jackets, were fifty feet from shore. The father pushed the girls out of the way and in the meantime a dog swam out to them and the oldest girl (14 YO) grabbed the dog's collar and he pulled her to shore. The other girl swam to shore. But the dad, wearing jeans and boots found himself weighted down with water to never resurface again.

Serious errors were made and the family grieves over "why did we do this?"!! It seems so avoidable. The devil will have a lot of fodder with which he will use in trying to destroy this family. But the widow says, it must have been Elwaynes time to go. And so we must believe.

This leads us to another reality: we all make serious mistakes but not all kill. Another reality: we may be in the prime of life when life will be taken from us. So therefore, it is important to be ready.

Was Elwayne ready? We believe so. This family has experienced lots of afflictions, trials which by their own testimony said how this brought them closer to God. If we can view afflictions as God's way to cleanse us, make us ready for heaven, perhaps we would find it easier to endure? Something to think about...at least I think of heaven a whole lot more since we have a '25' YO daughter there - she was a cancer victim.

Blessings to one all,
Ginnyrose

2005/6/16 13:02Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: A Tragedy

It seems like the family went through a pretty hard time!!!
I will pray for them!!!

2005/6/16 13:15Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Thanks! I know they will need it and desire it so desperately because they are grieving so...

Ginnyrose

2005/6/16 13:35Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re:

hi ginnyrose, that is a huge loss for those children. I have five children, and have often wondered if the Father should take me home, how they would manage. I always think of that crazy film 'What a wondeful life' whenever I think of that. It is so sad. My prayers for his family.

When my Mom died, I was so sad, I could not imagine life continuing without her, she was such a intergral part of so many peoples lives, but eventually I came to see that we have to go on living and giving hope to our children.

In Jesus,
Aeryck.

2005/6/17 18:40Profile
dohzman

Dear sister in Christ

I hear so much pain in your post here. I also see so many questions in your heart. I beleive the Lord will not only cause all things to work together for good but will also give you the desire of your heart in divine understanding in the secret place of your intermost heart. As deep speaks to deep so will the Lord speak unto you, and give you peace. Blessing in Christ His servant.

2005/6/17 18:58Profile

Re: Dear sister in Christ

Amen and amen. May the Holy Spirit bring comfort to you and this family in this time of trial and heart break.

In His Holy Name,

Lahry

2005/6/17 19:59
ccchhhrrriiisss

I will lift up that family in prayer, ginnyrose.

Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

2005/6/18 1:42Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Dear sister in Christ

Quote:
This leads us to another reality: we all make serious mistakes but not all kill. Another reality: we may be in the prime of life when life will be taken from us. So therefore, it is important to be ready.

Sobering depending on one's status of soul, but a truth that ought to be always before us. The redemption is paid for those who have received it, but our attendance is still required for an accounting.

My heart goes out to the family...Oh that the Lord would grant them peace and understanding and draw them all to Himself... my prayers are with them.

2005/6/18 8:23Profile

Re:

Quote:
Sobering

Yes, this is true. I find myself so caught up with the cares of this world that it can so easily be forgotten that God could call us home in a moment.
My heart and prayers also go out to the family.

2005/6/18 11:50
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Here is an update:

The funeral for Elwayne was held Friday morning with likely 650 present. The funeral sermon dealt with salvaton, the need to be ready to die and growing up fatherless. The preacher was the victims' uncle who also grew up fatherless. His dad died when he was five, leaving behind a widow with nine children. The content was Spirit-inspired.

As a parent who has also buried an adult child, I think a Christian funeral as well as the visitation is so edifying. Friends, acquaintances all come to offer their sympathy. This is so meaningful and comforting. Solomon says it is better to go to the house of mourning then to the house of feasting. This is true, although in our culture we seem to have married the mourning with the feasting in situations like a death.

The victim operated a dairy farm plus did row crop farming. All the children are involved in its operations. Farming with a large family requires cooperation from everyone. So we can see how the LORD was providing for them by the choice of occupation Elwayne had chosen. For this we are very thankful.

I guess I grieve for the children who will grow up without their dad. When our daughter died, I grieved more for my grandchildren then I did for my own loss. They needed a MOM! When God answered our prayer for a mother for them, I was so happy and delighted! Our church was praying to this end for our son-in-law because he requested it. And believe it or not but the LORD used a friend and me and to find him one! But children need two parents -a mom and a dad - to grow up. In its absense, God can and will provide whatever it is they have need of. And we as the brotherhood stand ready to assist when needed.

The question was asked: how many prayers were/will be answered with Elwaynes death? Hard question, but it is possible God will use it to bring peple to HIM. The owner - John - of the pond and jet ski that Elwayne was using is a very ungodly man: he is into drugs, shacking, etc. Earlier this year my nephew witnessed to him about the LORD's saving power after God delivered him from the clutches of satan. Then within a week a storm rolled his mobile home - with him inside. Now this. They said he was shaken. So John needs prayers. Likely more people are now praying for him then ever before.

Ginnyrose

2005/6/21 22:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy