SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What should our prayer meetings look like?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

What should our prayer meetings look like?

Now, I know that's a dangerous question. I'm asking it not because I want to find some kind of law for a prayer meeting... but just because I want to understand it. There is a wonderful book by Watchman Nee "The Normal Christian Life", and I guess there should be some pattern for a prayer meeting. Did not the disciples themselves asked the Lord: "Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples." (Luke 11:1). So what should a prayer meeting look like? How should it be organised?

I have encountered till now three different patterns:
1. One person leading the prayer meeting, sharing particular prayer points, for which the whole church prays.
2. All pray out loud, one after another (usually in small circle)
3. We gather to pray, but between the prayer sessions there is sharing of the word and singing.

Usually all prayer meetings I have attended are one hour or hour and a half. I know that what a prayer meeting looks like depends much on the individuals in the church. For example, there may be a need to pray for the city or to pray for the nation, or even for particular individuals in the church. But what if the church does not have burden for that, because our hearts are too small? I think, it was Ravenhill who said that you don't give jewels to children. Likewise God does not give burden to those that cannot bear it.

And on the other side I hear about people who have prayer meetings for 3-4 hours, if not all night watch services! (I don't say that all of those prayer meetings are godly, but there are and have really been such powerful prayer meetings). So what does your prayer meeting looks like? Have there been any positive change since times past?

Greetings in Christ,

2017/6/10 10:00Profile
jdelsanto

Connecticut

Re: What should our prayer meetings look like?

Leonard Ravenhill talks often of prayer meetings he attended as a young boy, and older ; I believe he hosted one every Friday up until less than a year before he passed. I have never been to a prayer meeting, but I cannot even begin to imagine the awesomeness of one!

2017/6/10 18:24Profile
beekpr

Excellent post Esther. A change in how our prayer meetings look could transform how the Western church looks. The formal prayer meetings which I have known have been very predictable - a half hour of Bible study followed by a time of sharing prayer requests and then collectively praying for them, often splitting into smaller groups. While the pattern may be perfectly in order, the actual vitality of the experience depends totally on the spiritual state of the participants. Sadly, the lukewarmness of the church comes through most powerfully in this part of church life which ought to be the lifeline of God's people. Jesus said, "Where two or three are gathered together in My Name, there will I be in the midst of them" - His Presence is what makes the difference. When we are simply "doing church" it is only what our own efforts can produce rather than what the Spirit of God can do when our hearts are collectively attuned to Him. I must say that the former has been my disappointing experience for the most part in organized church prayer meetings.
However the promise is to "two or three". This is where I have experienced the "real" prayer meetings. The indwelling Presence of God is as crucial to true prayer as in any part of His work. Only then can His burdens be laid upon our hearts and His passion burn in our souls.
For some time a brother and myself have been meeting every week in my home to cry out to God for revival in our own hearts as well as for His people. This means baring our hearts before God in each other's presence, praising and worshiping Him and acknowledging our confidence in His holy character and faithfulness. We trust that through the response to our cries to Him, He will work in the hearts of our (His) people.
Twice before the ordination of a new church leader God has brought a revelation to another brother and myself of specific spiritual threats that were facing the man to be ordained and the two of us had a secret prayer meeting at the location where the ordination was to be held where we engaged in fervent intercession and spiritual battle for the man to be ordained. None of these meetings are even known to the church but I trust they are attended by the Lord. In addition to this, such "revelations" are not a part of our denomination's church protocol but thankfully the Lord is not denominational! I am sharing this, Esther to let you know that under certain circumstances true prayer meetings might have to be experienced outside the realm of organized church life.

David

2017/6/11 18:22Profile
Sree

I have attended many prayer meetings. We conduct one every Friday as well. But I have not been to one where Prayer is highlighted more than other things. Jesus said my house is the house of prayer. I am equally guilty of ignoring the prayer time.

In our prayer meet, we start with few songs, then we ask brothers and sisters to share from their life what the Lord has shown them that week. We basically want to see the working of Lord in them. Each of us will take 5 to 10 mins. Mostly less than 5 mins. So over all sharing will take 30 to 40 mins. After that we ask for prayer points, we then ask 2 or 3 to pray for these points. One may not need to pray for all the points, but pray only for the points that are in their heart.

But our prayers are not just for physical needs, but for spiritual needs in line with the God's word. I have observed that in many churches the prayer points are only health and finance related. Our main prayer points are for spiritual growth, Christlikeness, God's word to come boldly in our midst etc. We also pray for travel, job and health etc. But our main focus is on God's will.

2017/6/12 12:58Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Thank you all for the replies!

@Jessica - You should surely attend not just one prayer meeting... :) I am sceptical of a church that can survive without prayer meeting.

@David -

Quote:
a half hour of Bible study followed by a time of sharing prayer requests and then collectively praying for them, often splitting into smaller groups. While the pattern may be perfectly in order, the actual vitality of the experience depends totally on the spiritual state of the participants.

You sum it up! My church looks like that... and although I am part of it since February this year, I shared with some brethren my desire that there is more prayer in our prayer meeting... I have profited also much from the word that's being shared... but if we spent more time preaching, listening, singing then praying - is it right to call it than prayer meeting?! I know that singing can also be a form of prayer ... but again it depends on the spirit in which we worship, how our hearts are disposed to meet with God.

@Sree
Quote:
then we ask brothers and sisters to share from their life what the Lord has shown them that week.

Very interesting indeed! Although personally, I think that is rather for home church meeting or youth meeting for example... but wonderful to speak of what God has done in your life!

Quote:
our main focus is on God's will

One question arised in me (and it is directed to all): Do you think that there should be a special prayer meeting where the elders or the more mature in faith pray for the church separately? Something like what you, brother David, shared...

2017/6/12 15:52Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

One question arised in me (and it is directed to all): Do you think that there should be a special prayer meeting where the elders or the more mature in faith pray for the church separately? Something like what you, brother David, shared...

Yes we used to have like that in India where the brothers who are active in the body (not just visitors but more committed) meet on a weekday and pray together for the Church.

But in US, due to distance and time constraint, we cannot meet in person, hence we have prayer calls. We all dial in into the conference bridge and pray for the needs. Only those who are committed get to know the details of the call.

Even sisters here have such a prayer conference.

We see God blessing the fellowship so much with such prayers. I also have the burden to start once a month fasting prayer. But have to wait and see how the Lord leads.

2017/6/12 16:47Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by TakeUptheCross

The elders and more mature in faith should always be in attendance at the regular prayer meeting. I remember hearing David Wilkerson say something to the effect of: Every person in leadership was to be at every prayer meeting and if they weren't, they wouldn't be in leadership long, or something like that. That's one thing that David knew, if the leaders do not care enough to be at the meeting, then it won't be long before no one else cares either.

And if the leaders are led by the Spirit to have another prayer meeting, like beekpr shared, then praise God!

When I was on the milk of the word, I ate up how I heard my pastor and elders pray and praise the Lord. If something caught my ear hearing them pray or praise Scriptures from the Bible, then I would seek out that Scripture when I got home! What an exciting time that was, thank you for bringing up those wonderful memories!!

What and how we pray (and praise the Lord)(our relationship with Him) is important for those following behind us!

God bless,
Lisa

2017/6/13 6:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy