SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Oh why can't we all just get along?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
aeryck

United Kingdom

Oh why can't we all just get along?

What are the ground rules for positive argument. The Scripture require that any such argumentation is to be done with:

a) Gentleness
and
b) Respect

Now why is it you suppose that some Christians operate at full steam and are just plain hateful to one another?

Would it not be nicer that a specific code, be adhered to so as to eliminate big heads banging into each other...oh yes it happens, everywhere.

But what does one do when you enter a thread, and are having a nice old chat and in roars a *hothead and starts crumbling down the good fellowship with domineering arguments and hard views, and no matter how polite one is they just will not relent until eventually no one is talking anymore.

Now that was really hard, for me to say, I normally bottle that stuff for the refuse heap.

In Jesus
:-P

+++

*self proclaimed prophet

2005/6/15 16:50Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Oh why can't we all just get along?

Brother,

I think there needs to be a seriousness of the things of God when we are talking and handling them. The method of online communication can very easily lead to mis-communication in expression of the individual trying to get across a point. There needs to be a carefulness in the way we write. For one I think if replies are done in longer format that will lead to less confusion. It is too easy to post a short excerpt that could be taken many ways.

In the past on this site there have been people who have been banned, and that still happens. The main point of the forums is to uplift and encourage but at the same time leaving things open for "marketplace" discussion for the normal people. God has His hand on the forums and on this site and its been amazing to see the fruit as people have a spiritul of meekness and humbleness to accept the truth coming from these discussions.

I think if we approach the conversations with meekness much will be accomplished. The scripture: humble thyself and God will in due time exalt thee, is perhaps one to claim and practice.

2005/6/15 17:03Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Oh why can't we all just get along?

Hi Greg,

In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.

We are here admonished concerning the government of the tongue, that necessary duty of a Christian. 1. It is good to say little, because in the multitude of words there wanteth not sin, or sin doth not cease. Usually, those that speak much speak much amiss, and among many words there cannot but be many idle words, which they must shortly give an account of. Those that love to hear themselves talk do not consider what work they are making for repentance; for that will be wanted, and first or last will be had, where there wanteth not sin. 2. It is therefore good to keep our mouth as with a bridle: He that refrains his lips, that often checks himself, suppresses what he has thought, and holds in that which would transpire, is a wise man; it is an evidence of his wisdom, and he therein consults his own peace. Little said is soon amended. [Amos 5:13; James 1:19.]

I like Matthew Henry's take on this don't you?

Humbleness and Gentleness are certainly foundational to a constructive argument.

In Jesus
:-P
+++

2005/6/15 17:27Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!

Well my point is proven that you just did not post that scripture but rather explained it in abit of detail to allow me to know where you are coming from and therefore avoid confusion and dis-agreement.

By the way, I do agree with what you are saying and it would be inline with not posting a thread on a subject the Holy Spirit refrains you to and be more councious of the words used and topics that we involve ourselves in.

Good word brother.

2005/6/15 17:45Profile
Tex_Hill

Bonham, TX

What would you do in this situation? (This event actually took place.)

I accepted Christ 5 years ago, this month, in a small Baptist Church. I immediately started studying my Bible & could not get my fill. In September of that year our church rotated teaching postitions, and I felt led to volunteer to teach a Sunday School class.

I was assigned the senior adult class, and had been leading the class for several months when our study brought us to the subject of cults. We were discussing the beliefs of the individual cults when a long time member of the church, (and my employer at the time), blurted out, "I don't care what name a person calls god by or if they swing from one of those trees out that window to worship. As long as you believe in God you're going to heaven."

Our class was an open forum class, and I was the only one to take exception to his comment. The 2 deacons in attendance didn't even hold this man to task for bringing heresy into the church.

Now, let me ask you, how should this type of situation be dealt with?

2005/6/15 17:59Profile

Re:

I have a suggestion, if i may.

When someone is in Error with Doctrine, and/or sin. You are to talk to them ONE-on-ONE. Then if they don't repent or change, talk to the pastor and ask him to join you on the matter or someone else of higher esteem. Then if through those 2 times, he/she does not change. Ask the pastor to take them infront of the whole congregation and call that person who is in error to repent or change.

If they don't submit. Say 'im sorry, but you must leave our church'.

Harsh eh? We are to be sentative to God's Spirit, and a Little leaven can ruin the whole loaf.

This is scriputal, i just can't find the scripture verse. I haven't used it in a while. So if I can find it, ill try to reply and deliver the verse(s)

2005/6/15 18:14
ddp

Re:

So where is the grace in that? Apparently this grace you all trump up isn't so limitless afterall.
Error should be corrected, but to kick someone out of a church? How can God allow that? That is in the Epistles, Paul wrote about it. I think it is silly. That is one of the MANY discrepancies...

2005/6/15 20:01Profile
ddp

Re:

It reminds me of the mafia.. Only for "god's glory"

Humiliate someone over some scripture?
Hmmm....

2005/6/15 20:05Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re:

Quote:
Apparently this grace you all trump up isn't so limitless afterall.

Whoever told you that grace was limitless? My Bible says that God only gives grace to the humble. He resists the proud. If you've got resistance, can you call that grace???

Quote:
Error should be corrected, but to kick someone out of a church? How can God allow that? That is in the Epistles, Paul wrote about it. I think it is silly.

I guess...If you don't believe the Bible...AND you put your own wisdom as supreme. Do your REALLY think that you possess flawless reasoning? I guess that is why you don't think you need God's word.

RT

2005/6/15 20:14Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

how shall they believe in him who they have not heard. the lost can not believe in him until they hear the good news of salvation.
according to the word of god the lost cannot be saved without a witness.
we cannot come to the father but thru Jesus.
"I never know you"
Matthew 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 and 23 also fit well

2005/6/15 20:45Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy