SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anything wrong with J Vernon McGee?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Pnutty

Branson, MO

Anything wrong with J Vernon McGee?

I have moved across country, and now get a new christian radio channel. They play McGees thru the bible once a day. So far I really enjoy how he expounds.

There is a website for his teachings and they offer for 55 bucks a solar powered gadget that has his entire 5 years of radio teaching plus a kjv bible. I think Id really like this, especially for the car or on walks.

But before I plunk down the money I thought to bring it here.

Would this be a reliable teaching for listening to, or would I regret it.

(I know that some of McGees audio is on here, so I know he is approved.)

Thank you

2017/5/23 11:31Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Anything wrong with J Vernon McGee?

On the West Coast he is still preachin even though dead for a long time. I enjoy his ministry and have not heard anything that would lead a believer astray.

Good old fashion teaching.

2017/5/23 13:12Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

"Would this be a reliable teaching for listening to, or would I regret it."

Dear sister,

I remember years ago I loved listening to J. Vernon McGee, who had a daily radio broadcast. His teachings are in line with the Word, and are a very good resource to grow in the Lord and be established in the grace of God. His teachings are well balanced, and his teachings have helped believers to stay out of the ditches on the left and on the right.

This morning as I was walking by the lake, I came across a few homeless men, and began to share the Word with them. of course they all want money to get them something to eat (drink). There are some that really do want to be set free, and the Holy Spirit is truly amazing, because He always leads in a way that we can relate to these men, and God can speak to their hearts.

As I listened to this teaching by J. Vernon McGee, it was a confirmation of some of what I shared with one of these homeless men.

I do not necessary agree with everything that Dr. McGee has to say about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit or the speaking in tongues, but he is right on about the need of every Christian to be filled with the Holy Spirit and power.

The Holy Spirit and Filling (Part 1) - J. Vernon McGee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrlqd503S_g

Dr. J. Vernon McGee Biography:

John Vernon McGee was born in Hillsboro, Texas, in 1904. Dr. McGee remarked, "When I was born and the doctor gave me the customary whack, my mother said that I let out a yell that could be heard on all four borders of Texas!" His Creator well knew that he would need a powerful voice to deliver a powerful message.

As a student pastor, Dr. McGee's first church was located on a red clay hill in Midway Georgia. It was there that he received his greatest compliment: "It was from a country boy wearing high buttoned, yellow shoes. After a morning service he came to speak to me. He groped for words, then blurted out, 'I never knew Jesus was so wonderful!' He started to say more but choked up and hurried out of the church. As I watched him stride across the field, I prayed, 'Oh, God, help me to always preach so that it can be said, I never knew Jesus was so wonderful.'"

Dr. J. Vernon McGee After completing his education (earning his A.B. from Southwestern University in Memphis, Tennessee; his B.D. from Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, Georgia; his Th.M. and Th.D. from Dallas Theological Seminary in Dallas, Texas), and after pastoring Presbyterian churches in Decatur, GA, Nashville, TN, and Cleburne, TX, he and his wife came west, settling in Pasadena, where he accepted a call to the Lincoln Avenue Presbyterian Church. He recalls this period as the happiest in his life, with a young family and a young congregation whom he loved.

Dr. McGee's greatest pastorate was at the historic, Church of the Open Door in downtown Los Angeles, where he served from 1949 to 1970. There he began a daily radio broadcast called "High Noon Bible Class" on a single station.

Dr. McGee began teaching Thru the Bible in 1967. After retiring from the pastorate, he set up radio headquarters in Pasadena, and the radio ministry expanded rapidly. Today the program airs on over 400 stations each day in the United States and Canada, is heard in more than 100 languages around the world and is broadcast worldwide via the Internet.

Dr. J. Vernon McGee During his last few years, failing health demanded the cancellation of many speaking engagements. This was extremely distressing to him. There was no recurrence of an earlier bout with cancer during this time, only a weakening heart. Back in 1965, after radical surgery, the doctors had given him 6 months to live. The Lord gave him 23 years.

Dr. McGee and the Board of Directors planned in advance how the program would continue in the event of Dr. McGee's homegoing. The message would remain the same and the "voice" of Thru the Bible Radio would continue to be Dr. McGee, through the use of the taped 5-year program, except for those foreign language broadcasts, where the producers use the printed 5-volume Bible study to translate and produce the program.

On the morning of December 1, 1988, a few minutes after a visit with the then Associate Director of Thru the Bible, alert and in conversation centered around his concern for the continuance of the radio ministry, Dr. McGee fell asleep in his chair and quietly passed into the presence of his Savior.

2017/5/23 14:13Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Sister
I have some of Vern McGees books. He was solid in the Word of the LORD.. I love him. I didnt agree with his interpretations about the gifts... however....
He is biblically sound I believe. I believe we can learn something from everyone if we have a listening ear and listening heart and always remain teachable..
I can hear his voice..(:
Perhaps I can listen to him on shortwave..sometime..
Blessings.
Sister Frannie

2017/5/23 19:59Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Love him. I have listened to him since soon after I was saved in 1987. He teaches pastorally. Solid and sweet and worth the effort.

2017/5/23 20:27Profile
proudpapa

Sermon index has a few hundred sermons of his :

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=405

add : I concur with what everyone else has said thus far concerning him.

2017/5/23 21:32Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Sister Linda,

He's great! A very genuine person and at times a bit funny to listen to:)
Like the other experiences posted here, I've never had a problem with his teachings.

An alternative to purchasing his teachings is Blue Letter Bible, which is a free app for your phone or computer as well as website etc... most verses have an audio commentary option which offers a great many of brother Mcgee's insights and I've found them to contain many honest insights-

2017/5/23 22:54Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

My wife and I listen to him almost every morning or evening. I don't always agree with everything that he says, but I do agree with most of it. He is, as others have said, a very genuine teacher.

I don't think that you have to purchase his teachings since they are available online. We typically listen through TuneIn or the Thru the Bible app.

2017/5/24 2:37Profile
Pnutty

Branson, MO

Re:

Thanks folks!

On the Thru the Bible website you CAN download for FREE the entire teaching series.

I sure enjoy his countryfied accent and straight clear teaching.

I also intend to do a morning and evening teaching too! Get the whole thing in 2 1/2 years.

That little 55 dollar gadget beside being able to solar charge, or electric charge has an FM radio has a flashlight has the kjv on audio, and it says Listen with or without headphones and in equipped cars, through your car’s speakers.
Plus you can slow the audio or speed it up. Whew thats a lot of good stuff. Nice bunker or stranded on a desert island gizmo.

Since I dont have internet or a smart phone, I think this will be idea.

Thank you for letting me know you enjoy McGee also.

Here is the free download place
http://www.ttb.org/resources/free-5-year-series-downloads

It's nothing but J Vernon MCgee so I thought it would be OK to link. It doesnt show merchandise on that page. Please delete if I reckoned wrong.

2017/5/24 10:42Profile

Re:

___Nice bunker or stranded on a desert island gizmo.___

Why sistuh. You can ride out the apocalypse in style.😊

Bro Blaine

2017/5/24 11:27

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy