SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Pr. 18:24

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
StarofG0D

United States

Pr. 18:24

Does anyone know the direct translation to pr. 18:24?

It's different in the NASB and kjv.

New American Standard Bible
A man of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

King James Bible
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

Thank you!!

2017/5/22 10:22Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Pr. 18:24

Either one makes sense, but the stark difference in the translations is scandalous because it is not two different ways of saying the same thing. They say quite different things.

2017/5/22 14:25Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

Good question. I hadn't seen this difference. We all like Bible Hub and Blue Letter Bible I believe. Pure word studies support the modern translations and not the KJV. The phrase translated in KJV about making friends/being friendly is from a Hebrew phrase which does not include a word about being friendly, but uses a word about afflicting or causing harm. A root word inside that word, a possible pun in Hebrew, shares a root for the word friend, but that is about it.

Funny, but I saw a defender of the KJV on this verse say the modern translations translate it too literally. Irony there.

So, maybe an unusual example of KJV inferiority on a particular verse.

2017/5/22 16:06Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Horrors.

2017/5/22 17:34Profile
beekpr

Re: Pr. 18:24

I looked it up in Luther's German translation and it simply said, ,"A true friend loves more and stands more firmly at one's side than a brother." (my translation from German)

David

2017/5/22 21:48Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Very interesting. I am typically a KJV guy since it is what I grew up with and has, in my opinion, the best study tools available and is usually spot on in my opinion. But I am not sure that the context makes the most sense in the KJV here after looking at the interlinear and a few other translations. It seems there is some disagreement about the Hebrew words translated in the KJV as "must show himself friendly". They are very similar. Here is the translation that seems to make the most sense to me.

A man with many friends can still be ruined, but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. OR A person who has friends may be harmed by them, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

I guess in my own words it seems to carry this meaning, friends are not a good substitute for the one true friend who sticks closer than a brother. Many who you call friends may fail you or do evil to you, but the one that is closer than a brother will not do so.

2017/5/23 7:58Profile
Bernie7

New Albany, Indiana

Re: What the ESV seems to suggest...

The ESV reads,"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
It seems to suggest basically what twayneb is saying, but with this added thought: You may have many "companions" (mere aquaintances or friendly persons with whom you associate), but ought to look to persons (often few in number) whom you know you can really trust and have proved themselves reliable in times of potential "ruin." It seems to be saying something similar to Prov. 27:10, "Do not forsake your friend and your father's friend, and do not go to your brother's house in the day of your calamity. Better is a neighbor who is near than a brother who is far away." You know who you can trust (not necessarily family) and should look to them for help. A father's friend will likely have demonstrated his faithfulness over the "long haul" (see also 2 Sam. 9, David's kindness to Jonathan's son Mephibosheth).

2017/5/23 8:31Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I think we can agree what the non-KJV versions mean- makes perfect sense. The problem is that the KJV renders an entirely different meaning, at least in part. While the substance of the KJV is true (be a friend to make a friend) that idea is entirely absent from the other versions.

2017/5/23 8:35Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Todd: totally agreed. I trust the KJV. I believe it is probably one of the best translations that exists. But that does not mean that he translators could not have missed it here. Study to show yourself approved, right?

2017/5/23 8:58Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Thanks everyone for your input!!

Blessings

2017/5/24 11:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy