SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | Live

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Must I forgive those who refuse forgiveness? - Hank Hanegraaff

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Must I forgive those who refuse forgiveness? - Hank Hanegraaff

Jesus taught his disciples to pray, “Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors” (Matthew 6:12). Does that mean we have to forgive someone even when they refuse reconciliation?

First, the debts we owe one another are small change compared to the infinite debt we owe our heavenly Father. Because we have been forgiven an infinite debt, it is a horrendous evil to even consider withholding forgiveness from those who seek it. Thus, we must always manifest the kind of love that is willing to forgive those who wrong us.

Furthermore, forgiveness is by definition a two-way street leading to the restoration of fellowship. It requires someone who is willing to forgive, and someone who is wanting to be forgiven. If you are to forgive me, I must be repentant; otherwise, there can be no restoration of fellowship (i.e., forgiveness).

Finally, we must never suppose that our standard of forgiveness is higher than God’s standard. He objectively offers us forgiveness and the restoration of fellowship. His forgiveness is not subjectively realized, however, until we repent (Luke 6:37–38).

2017/5/18 13:13Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Must I forgive those who refuse forgiveness? - Hank Hanegraaff

Please watch the video by R. T. Kendall on "Total Forgiveness". I believe that this teaching is much more in line with scripture than the article by Hank Hanegraff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9NLMlb4RPo

Forgiveness - Derek Prince:;If you don't have time to watch the whole video, go to the 34 minute mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOdvjh457jg

2017/5/18 15:01Profile
Sree

Re: Must I forgive those who refuse forgiveness? - Hank Hanegraaff

It posts a very interesting question.

Quote:

Furthermore, forgiveness is by definition a two-way street leading to the restoration of fellowship. It requires someone who is willing to forgive, and someone who is wanting to be forgiven. If you are to forgive me, I must be repentant; otherwise, there can be no restoration of fellowship (i.e., forgiveness).

Does this mean that we can forgive only those who are repentant of their sins against us? I do not think so.

In all such questions, Jesus is our only example. How did Jesus forgive others? He said anything said against the son of man is forgiven. When did Jesus forgive those who spoke evil of him, after they asked for forgiveness from Him? No even before that. While they were still speaking evil of Jesus, he was forgiving them. So we too should be willing to forgive those who hurt us, without expecting them to be repentant.

But restoration of fellowship happens only after repentance.

2017/5/18 17:50Profile
havok20x

Re:

I fully understand what Brother Hank is getting at. I have been deeply hurt by fellow believers, and I have forgiven them without them repenting. Our fellowship grinds to a halt. It is often times awkward and sometimes the nature of the hurt lends itself to repetitive injuries. I forgive but they do it again and again without repentance. That is why Matthew 18 is so necessary for true fellowship. When a brother does sin against me, I must go to him, lest a root of bitterness spring up in--not them--but me! There is nothing worse in my opinion than to love someone with a callous heart.

If we are to look to Jesus, He asked the Father to forgive them because they did not know what they were doing; that didn't mean salvation for them all.

2017/5/18 18:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

If we refuse to be offended, 99% of the battle is over.

1) if the offense is unintended, it would seem rather petty and uncharitable to take offense

2) if the offense is intentional, why would I want to give the person the satisfaction of knowing I am perturbed?

As Will Rogers said, "I am at the mercy of any man who can make me lose my temper."

This can be expanded- "I am at the mercy of any person who can offend me."

2017/5/19 7:08Profile
havok20x

Re:

There are some instances where I can definitely do that, TMK; however, intentional, repetitive harm from a brother cannot just be overlooked. You NEED to forgive them; hence the passage in Matthew 18. It is as much for your sake as it is their sake.

Love is not provoked, according to 1 Corinthians 13. So if something a Brother does, offends me or provokes me to anger, sure, I need the Lord to also do a work in my heart. At the same time, I will approach the brother, as I am biblically mandated to do.

Forgiveness is not a "better" option or the option that is most good. It is a command and a requirement of all believers, and if we do not forgive a brother from your heart, God will not forgive us.

2017/5/19 7:31Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Unconditional forgiveness does not mean
that we allow sinful, unrepentant brothers
and sisters to remain in the fellowship.
Scripture is clear concerning church
discipline of those that are unrepentant.

2017/5/19 9:19Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I did not mean to suggest we should not forgive- obviously we must as it is a direct command of Jesus.

I would argue that Jesus was not offended by his murderers. He didn't need to forgive them. He prayed that His FATHER would forgive them, because they didn't know what they were doing.

I know what I am saying may seem odd but I believe it is true. Jesus didn't go around demanding or expecting apologies. He demanded that all men repent, which is subtly different.

I certainly am not downplaying or excusing boorish behavior and I agree that in a church setting such persons should be dis-fellowshipped- but that is for their benefit, not the person(s) they have offended.

2017/5/19 9:47Profile
havok20x

Re:

TMK,

From our perspective I most certainly agree. Jesus doesn't get offended by anything like you and I would. It is an entirely different matter with Him.

However, Jesus, as God, hates sin. It is an offense against His very character. Look at the temple cleansing. Jesus was angry. Look at Revelation. Who is opening the seals? The Lamb. What happens at the opening of the seals--His wrath.

1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Forgiveness through/by/in Jesus is a must for all.

Jesus said that He and the Father are one. If Jesus was asking the Father to forgive, you know that Jesus had the same sentiments, but God's love for us and His mercy transcend our offenses. "He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor punished us according to our iniquities."

2017/5/19 12:25Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
Christ died for the ungodly, even before
we repented. However, for us to receive
the benefits of the cross, we must believe
and repent.

2017/5/19 12:36Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy