Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : 13 Reasons Why Not

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
romanchog

"Walking in the Valley of the Shadow of Death"

13 Reasons Why Not

I am hoping that most of the readers on this forum are unaware of a new series on Netflix called "13 Reasons Why," which deals with a young teen's decision to commit suicide and the 13 reasons why she did it. This seems to be a very gut wrenching series, pulling the viewer into the girl's emotions.

The story line is that she has been bullied, embarrassed (posting private pictures of her in not morally correct circumstances on facebook, etc), taken advantage of, eventually she is sexually abused, and her school counselor just tells her to "move on with her life." From someone who watched some of it, the viewer feels very badly for this young woman. One of the comment was, "I am so glad I did not grow up with social media, because all of my young indiscretions just went away with time and were forgotten, but these days they never end and you are never allowed to forget."

Many of the teens in the school in which I teach have watched or are watching this. I am concerned and would like to offer them some other way of thinking about the series and most importantly about their own lives.

I found on the internet a list that states "13 Reasons Why Not" followed by a list of 13 scriptures. I thought this might be a good way to at least put something out there ,and perhaps start a conversation with them. I am not so satisfied with the list. Some of the statements/scriptures are good, but I want something that makes these young people get it that there are REALLY (at least) 13 GOOD reasons why suicide is not the answer.

My concern is that, even though this is a Christian school, these teens are at most nominal Christians and the same thing can be said of the parents. They don't understand Christ and what He has done for us; they don't know God. I would hate to give them a list of something they will consider trite or cliche. If I do that, I have accomplished nothing and have not given them an answer.

I was wondering if some of you who are wiser can help me come up with/edit the following list.

The list that I found is: "13 Reasons Why Not"

1. You are loved (John 3:16)
2. You have a purpose (Jeremiah 29:11)
3. You are given strength to persevere (1 Cor 10:13)
4. You will be guided (Psalm 32:8)
5. You are not alone (Deut 31:6)
6. You were created by Him and for His glory (Isaiah 43:7)
7. He will take away your worries (1 Peter 5:7)
8. He will comfort you (2 Cor 1:3-4)
9. He will carry your burdens (Psalm 55:22)
10. He will forgive (Mark 11:25)
11. He will give you hope (Rom 15:13)
12. He will deliver (Mat 7:7)
13. He dwells in you (1 Cor 3:16-17)

Thanks for anything you are able to offer.

Natalie

2017/5/17 21:14Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: 13 Reasons Why Not

Lists looks good but it is hard to limit it to 13 reasons. Maybe there are a whole lot more?

One could be: Thou shalt not kill. Killing oneself is declaring that God is incapable of of doing his work of cleansing, healing and redemption in one's life. It is the ultimate act of unbelief and seals your eternal destination. Long one but will let you condense it to fewer words.

This is what came to my mind when I read your question.

BUT!! the idea some producers and retailers are marketing such vile garbage - LORD! have mercy! on these young people! This stuff is satanic!

Hey! Childhood can be traumatic - but we learn through these events, if nothing else we learn we do not want to act like that....SIGH

I am all befuddled...

Sandra

2017/5/19 11:58Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Watched 2 episodes, the first and the last. Our daughter was asking if she could watch it. We watched enough of it to inform her about 13 reasons we wouldn't allow it. Other kids at school are watching it and so she asked.

It is not a helpful look at teen suicide. It is a dramatized look and it actually might make suicide appealing to teens already in dark places. The emotions of the people in the girl's life and who surround her suicidal emotional spiral seem almost to romanticize suicide. It seems, IMO, to invite teens subtly to want to inflict such emotions on the people who are pouring into their pain. Now that is my view. Others will disagree.

Aside from themes of sexuality, language, and the usual movie pop culture septic tank of junk to avoid, the far darker and dangerous feature -- to me -- is what I said above.

2017/5/19 14:02Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Natalie I like your list.

I know you are painfully aware of your students' need for companionship. I wonder if it might be also helpful to create an activity where the students share themes from your list with one another and offer one another the sentiments expressed in the Scriptures. If that makes any sense.

2017/5/19 14:06Profile
savannah

I, for one, was unaware of this series until reading your post.

Sadly, this is the reality of the world in which we live.

You say, "My concern is that, even though this is a Christian school, these teens are at most nominal Christians and the same thing can be said of the parents. They don't understand Christ and what He has done for us; they don't know God."

This statement sums up the root of the problem(s).
Please consider the 12 part series "Behold Your God." This series will open your eyes to the root of so much of what we are witnessing in western Christianity.

You go on to say,

"I would hate to give them a list of something they will consider trite or cliche. If I do that, I have accomplished nothing and have not given them an answer."

You'd certainly not want to be guilty of such.

As one man said centuries ago, "Give them Christ, Christ is all they need." If we don't, you're right, we've accomplished nothing.

I offer you my contribution of Bible texts, The Word of God.

Here are 13 reasons why not from the Word of God which I came up with.

1) “And I will require the blood of anyone who takes another person’s life. If a wild animal kills a person, it must die. And anyone who murders a fellow human must die. If anyone takes a human life, that person’s life will also be taken by human hands. For God made human beings in his own image. Now be fruitful and multiply, and repopulate the earth.” Genesis 9:5-7

2) Whoever takes a human life shall surely be put to death. Leviticus 24:17

3) See, I am the only God. There are no others. I kill, and I make alive. I wound, and I heal, and no one can rescue you from my power. Deuteronomy 32:39

4) But I will forewarn you whom you shall fear: Fear him, which after he has killed has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, Fear him. Luke 12:5

5) “You have heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.’ Mathew 5:21

6) The jailer woke up to see the prison doors wide open. He assumed the prisoners had escaped, so he drew his sword to kill himself. But Paul shouted to him, “Stop! Don’t kill yourself! We are all here!” Acts 16:27,28

7) “But he who sins against me injures himself;  All those who hate me love death.” Proverbs 8:36

8) The dead do not praise the Lord,
nor do any of those who descend into the silence of death. Psalm 115:17

9) And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment. Hebrews 9:27

10) I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
If I go up to heaven, you are there;
if I go down to the grave, you are there.
Psalm 139:7,8

11) No creature can hide from him, but everyone is exposed and helpless before the eyes of the one to whom we must give a word of explanation. Hebrews 4:13

12) Let us hear the conclusion of the entire matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every act to judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil. Ecclesiastes 12:13,14

13) "But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshipers, and all liars--their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." Revelation 21:8

2017/5/20 19:27Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

I too was unaware of it... and am glad that it is so. You can protect your soul from much damage if you don't look the media garbage.

Here my thoughts about it:

Because "I know that my Redeemer lives!" And He will forgive and FORGET no matter how much you've messed up your life - He can bring you out of that and crown you with His glory! If you ever worry that there are out there people who will never forget what you've done, who all through your life are going to critisize and condemn you, remember that He will not condemn you if you come to Him and trust Him. You will hide from the strife of tongues in His presence and your joy no man will take away! (Psalm 31:19,20; 37:33; John 8:11)

Why not? Because it's not really a way out... If you kill yourself, you will go to hell. If you continue to live like that (in sin), you are also slowly destroying yourself... but there is hope, there is alwasys hope for the living! If you will come to Christ, you will receive life! I often connect this with the story of the three lepers... (2 Kings 7).

Another thought - you can compare Judas and Peter, who actually in essence committed the same sin (betraying Jesus) - one found forgiveness and became one of the greatest apostles and the other perished.

So it is not up to what we have done, but whether one will humble himself, turn to God and repent! To ask is the key and God will surely receive you, just like He received the prodigal son.

2017/5/21 3:06Profile
romanchog

"Walking in the Valley of the Shadow of Death"

Re:

Thank you all for your ideas.

Based on what your suggestions, I am thinking of joining the classes who have watched this (middle and high school) for a "conversation" based on the scriptures. The plan is to let them discuss what is in their hearts, but not in a vacuum of their thoughts. I would like to bring out some of these scriptures and have them think about how these scriptures would have affected the decision and thought process of the young woman portrayed in the series, and how it should affect the way they will make decisions.

I am a little nervous about this. I do not feel qualified to treat this topic. But it seems to me that God has laid it at my feet, since no one else will pick it up. I cannot in good conscience let the school year end and send these kids off home for the summer without at least trying to counteract the ideas they got from watching this. Knowing that God has put me here to do this, I am just going to let Him do the work and I will be Balaam's donkey. :)

Blessings.

Natalie

2017/5/23 22:36Profile
savannah

Re: good conscience

"O Holy Spirit, convince us all of our selfishness, of the sinfulness of the love of ease, of indulging the flesh, of worldly conformity, and especially of consenting to the eternal death of sinners around us! Deliver us from blood-guiltiness, let not our garments be spotted with the blood of souls — but give us grace so to feel, and so to act, as to be able honestly to say, "I am free from the blood of all men!"
James Smith

2017/5/24 7:56Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy