SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Your Tongue Is the Test of Your Spirituality by Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Quote:
It seems to ZP is simply saying that if you ain't controllin' your tongue you ain't yet received the true baptism of the HS regardless whether you can speak in tongues.

I agree that this is exactly what the brother is sharing.

Quote:
That statement has no basis in Scripture. It is quite bizarre in its assertions. He is saying that Christians can be possessed by demons ( what else could "other spirit," mean) Strange teaching........bro Frank

Dear brother,

From my experiences of reading and hearing eye-witness testimonies, believers or false believers have had the gift of tongues but it was a counterfeit and was exposed in either a demonic manifesting or expulsion of a demon. I believe there are some in the north american church under this sort of delusion, probably most of them are unsaved and would appear very "pentecostal" but their hearts are not surrendered to the Lord and they have opened themselves up to a demonic counterfeit.

The Holy Spirit is that, "holy."

I absolutely agree that there are false manifestations that are not of the Holy Spirit, but rather another spirit. But I think we run into trouble when we begin to identify one aspect of a believers life and make a statement that if that believer falls short in that area, then his experience is not of God. I have only heard Mr. Poonen speak once or twice, and I really don't know a lot about him, but I think the scriptural path he took to his conclusion is a little off in my opinion. The fruit of a Spirit-filled life is not summed up in our speech.

I have, since receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit at age 18, spoken at times in an attitude, manner, or with words that I know did not please God, and the Holy Spirit has been faithful in each of those cases to convict me and work in my life to bring about greater Godliness in that area. But my shortcoming did not mean that my experience in the Lord was not genuine. it only revealed that God had more work that He needed to do in my life, and by the power of the Holy Spirit, He continued to do that work.

I think you said it well. The fruit is in a surrendered heart that longs for deeper relationship with God, and the whole life of that believer will be a story of transformation from glory to glory by the power of the Holy Spirit.

2017/5/5 9:49Profile

Re:

Hi bro Travis, that was a great post and I could not agree more with your conclusions.You write..........

" But I think we run into trouble when we begin to identify one aspect of a believers life and make a statement that if that believer falls short in that area, then his experience is not of God."

Yes indeed brother. You write..........

"I have, since receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit at age 18, spoken at times in an attitude, manner, or with words that I know did not please God, and the Holy Spirit has been faithful in each of those cases to convict me and work in my life to bring about greater Godliness in that area. But my shortcoming did not mean that my experience in the Lord was not genuine. it only revealed that God had more work that He needed to do in my life, and by the power of the Holy Spirit, He continued to do that work."

Amen, this statement that you write is not only true but I imagine would be deeply encouraging for those who are ( that would be all genuine saints) on a path of sanctification, empowered and convicted by a wonderful and beautifully Holy, Holy Spirit. You word carries that conviction and that encouragement, unfortunately there are many who simply have a ministry of condemnation............bro Frank

2017/5/5 10:32
proudpapa

Re: Your Tongue Is the Test of Your Spirituality by Zac Poonen

RE : /// ...This is how we can know whether we received the Holy Spirit or some other false spirit. Apply this test to yourself: “Can you control your mother tongue?” If not, reject every other spirit you have received and seek God again to be filled with the Holy Spirit....///

The problem with this is what does “Can you control your mother tongue?” imply ? 100 % perfect control all the time ?, If this is true of anyone than are they not a perfect person ?

I was at a rodeo last weekend, all the horses had a Bridle on them but not all of them where completely trained to the bridle yet, (some better than others) some horses would not turn around the barrels like they ought, others knocked over barrels, some went right when they should have went left, some kept running when they should have stopped etc. etc.

Just because some of the horses where less trained to the Bridle did not negate the fact that they had a true Bridle on them.

2017/5/5 11:04Profile
Theophila

Re:

The Western mind is an odd thing. Interesting ....but odd.

2017/5/5 18:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy