SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : I pray not for the world

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rbanks

I pray not for the world

John 17:6-10
6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. 10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

Notice verse 9...where Jesus said "I pray not for the world"...I'm looking for those who would like to offer any insight that you might have on what Jesus was saying on this verse. Thanks for your consideration!

Blessings,
rbanks

2017/4/26 21:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: I pray not for the world

It seems a little strange that Jesus had to clarify what he meant. Obviously this was meant for the disciples listening, not for the Father who obviously knew the intent of Jesus' prayer.

2017/4/26 22:25Profile
proudpapa

Re: I pray not for the world

Wesley's Notes for John 17:9

17:9 I pray not for the world - Not in these petitions, which are adapted to the state of believers only. (He prays for the world at #John 17:21|,23, that they may believe - That they may know God hath sent him.) This no more proves that our Lord did not pray for the world, both before and afterward, than his praying for the apostles alone, #John 17:6 |- 19, proves that he did not pray for them also which shall believe through their word, #John 17:20|.

2017/4/26 22:46Profile
rbanks

Re:

Thanks for the input brethren!

I was thinking about how intimate chapter 17 is in Jesus communicating to his disciples.

I was thinking on the lines that he was telling them that his main focus and prayer was on them and those that the Father had given to him.

He was letting them know that he was praying for them and their success as his disciples and that he was not praying for the success of,the world but only for those,given to him out of the world.

The church are the called out ones from the world and Jesus is building his church. He is not promoting the world because the world hates him and is against him and his disciples (those who are following him).

Blessings,
rbanks

2017/4/26 23:18Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Isn't it awesome to know that Jesus has our backs?

2017/4/27 12:03Profile
rbanks

Re:

Amen brother Todd!

Luke 10:19
19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Blessings,
rbanks

2017/4/27 14:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy