SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : To brother "Received Text"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

To brother "Received Text"

How I wish I could address you by a real name!

In the thread, "What is missing from your Bible?"
(http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5757&forum=41#43232)

I wrote a post, "heres' a quote from M'Cheyne"; in this post I gave you an invite from the Holy Spirit that you join me in a three-day quest to ask Jesus Christ that He may give us new and deeper revelations of Himself, a deeper more intimate knowledge of our dear Saviour Jesus Christ.

It was that sentence of M'Cheyne's that sent a nail of conviction thru my heart, "I seem to know Jesus better than I do my earthly relatives".

Is that the case with me, is that the norm of my Christian experience?

So here I am to report to you and the group on the riches of knowledge that God has given me. As I type this in the King's library, I feel such a powerful infilling with God's Spirit, that I just want to shout
[b]Glory to God!!![/b]
but I should maintain a modicum of decorum seeing that revival hasnt broken out to everyone in this seminary....yet.

That Friday, I had promised my boys a trip to Dodgers stadium to watch the boys take on the Tigers, meanwhile in my soul, I'm in a constant communion with the Spirit, just being with Jesus. The boys were in the back seat, fooling around, and I just kept talking to Him, asking Him, "please Jesus tell me Who You are", and I got the first reference on the way to the park.

Now I know you have issues with the NIV text, so in the leading of Lord keeping with the pauline admonition, that if my eating meat stumble a vegetabletarian I will quote from the KJV,

Quote:
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light".

Matthew 11:28-30

This was huge for me! This Scripture had been presented to me another time when I was transacting business with God, and Jesus gave It to me again when I came to consider Who my Lord is. I plucked out the key words when I wrote a testimony to another dear heart:

"labour, heavy laden rest. yoke meek lowly rest.
yoke easy burden light".

Meek and lowly.

That night when the boys padded off to bed, I got on my knees and the revelations from the Lord began to fill me:

The second one came from the Gospel of Luke:

Quote:
And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

"as a little child". A child does not concern itself with this doctrine and that theology, a child doesnt question, or doubt, the faith is whole-hearted and the dependence is TOTAL...like a child. This was Jesus talking to me.

Does this mean I become stupid in the faith, without a shread of common sense or discernment?

no.

I believe Jesus. He walked the earth, He was crucified as an atonement offering for the sin of humankind. He died and was raised from the dead three days later. He provides relief and succor for burdened sinners, and if they believe in and on Him, they will have life everlasting.

Thats my Lord, thats my theology.

I just got a book, "Duncan Campbell" a biography about the Scottish revivalist. Ever since I got saved, I devour accounts of revivals and the lives of revivalists. I realize now, that I've been asking God to give me the calling of evangelist, and that He give the privledge of being used in revival of His dear people. Let me give you a quote from this book about Duncan Campbell, and I pray they say it about me, Neil:

Quote:
"Duncan Campbell was not a trained theologian. When Marconi was quizzed about the techinical details of his wireless telegraphy he simply looked at the equipment and said: 'it works'. Duncan had the same attitude to theology. He did not stop to get involved in time consuming arguments. Even "born-again Barbie" the local theologian couldn't correct his views on election!
He knew God could save and transform lives. He had seen it happen. It worked. That was enough. He was a practical theologian. All his life he sought to put into practice what he believed. If a mans Christianity didnt work ou, it wasnt worth having, no matter how correct its logic or how orthodox its theology.

the next day, I woke up before the boys, and God gave me two more Gems to illuminate my heart about Jesus:

Quote:
Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men

John 2:23-24

and then finally and most importantly:

Quote:
He must increase, but I must decrease.

John 3:30

Death to self, and death is not something that is easy, but it is necessary, imperative.

He must increase, I must decrease.

In learning what Jesus requires of me, I learn of Him.

There were two more wonderful moments, one was seeking after God with another dear brother, a sweet bit of communion in fellowship with another and with Christ, and a Word that God gave me in the car on the way home, and that Word was,

"I am your very great Portion".

God be blessed, I pray that He uses me in whatever way He sees fit, I pray that He sweep thousands of weary sinners into the relief that Christ provide.

Tonight at 8 PST, I'm going to my knees and pray over the seven penitential psalms, Ps 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 143. I want to ask God to reveal something to me out of them, would you (or anyone else) care to join me in the air with Jesus?

God is so good, He will never disappoint.

2005/6/14 17:03

Re: To brother "Received Text"

Neglin,
I love your heart. May our faithful and loving God grant you your hearts desires, in Jesus' Holy Name.

2005/6/15 7:35
couch

College Station, TX

Brother,

I'm encouraged by your heart to seek greater revelation of Christ. Paul prayed for this over the church in Ephesus, and I believe it was we should be praying over our lives and over our cities: Revelation of the man Jesus!!

I was curious as to what seminary you attended there in Southern California? I've looked into a few before and didn't know what advice you would have about the one you are attending.

Thanks!

2005/6/17 13:40Profile

that would be ....

King's College and Seminary in Van Nuys Cali. Pastor Jack Hayford's college.[url=http://kingsseminary.edu/]King's College[/url]

May God bless you is my continuing prayer.

2005/6/17 15:58
couch

College Station, TX

Re: that would be ....

Great!

So how did it go with your study of the Psalms? Did Christ reveal Himself more unto you? I'm sure He did, gracious God that He is.

Is it difficult to attend seminary with a wife and kids? Obviously the Lord's grace is sufficient for what He calls us to do. I know He will lead me to the right one if I am to go...

couch

2005/6/17 16:01Profile
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Quote:
How I wish I could address you by a real name!

PM me and I'll tell you.

Quote:
I wrote a post, "heres' a quote from M'Cheyne"; in this post I gave you an invite from the Holy Spirit that you join me in a three-day quest to ask Jesus Christ that He may give us new and deeper revelations of Himself, a deeper more intimate knowledge of our dear Saviour Jesus Christ.

This is my quest as well. So not only for three days, but for eternity I want to seek after this. Great heart, bro.

Quote:
"as a little child". A child does not concern itself with this doctrine and that theology, a child doesnt question, or doubt, the faith is whole-hearted and the dependence is TOTAL...like a child. This was Jesus talking to me.

Neil: "A child does not concern itself with this doctrine and that theology, a child doesnt question" - This is just not true. When I was a child, I longed to be taught (doctrine=teaching). The difference is that when I was a child there was a great deal of trust, simplicity, and honesty about what I was learning. This is something that is essential for us as believers.

As for children questioning, you have said you have children. Do you have the only kids in the world without questions? :-P

No I think I know what you mean. Once the information comes, they take it as fact. This is faith. This is what we need. Just having a bit of fun with ya. :-P

Theology is the study of God. Simple. It can be complex, or it can be simple. When I contend for a pure Bible against those who would bring confusion and a foreign tongue (Greek), it is for the children and less intelligently gifted. I think we should be able to go to Jesus in our own language without confusion or argumentation as to what He said. So thank you for using the KJV. (I also use the KJV-ER) I'm only bringing this up to help you understand my heart.

When you see me contend intellectually for some issue like the Bible here, please know that I am not trying to preach the gospel or teach the apostle's doctrine or the kingdom. I am speaking to the mature, to influencers, to folks that need the facts.

But what is the result of what I contend for?? The result is that we all have the same Bible, the same baptism, the same Spirit, the same covenant, the same hope of the gospel.

Brother, my heart aches that the body of Christ is so splintered. This church has this doctrine and the other church has something else. Where is the universal doctrine of Christ? If we have THAT, then it is easy...especially for the children (and us grown up children).

Listen to what the church had for the first couple hundred years:

"As I have already observed, the Church, having received this preaching and this faith, although scattered throughout the whole world, yet, as if occupying but one house, carefully preserves it. She also believes these points [of doctrine] just as if she had but one soul, and one and the same heart, and she proclaims them, and teaches them, and hands them down, with perfect harmony, as if she possessed only one mouth. For, although the languages of the world are dissimilar, yet the import of the tradition is one and the same. For the Churches which have been planted in Germany do not believe or hand down anything different, nor do those in Spain, nor those in Gaul, nor those in the East, nor those in Egypt, nor those in Libya, nor those which have been established in the central regions of the world. But as the sun, that creature of God, is one and the same throughout the whole world, so also the preaching of the truth shineth everywhere, and enlightens all men that are willing to come to a knowledge of the truth. Nor will any one of the rulers in the Churches, however highly gifted he may be in point of eloquence, teach doctrines different from these (for no one is greater than the Master); nor, on the other hand, will he who is deficient in power of expression inflict injury on the tradition. For the faith being ever one and the same, neither does one who is able at great length to discourse regarding it, make any addition to it, nor does one, who can say but little diminish it." - Irenaeus ("Against Heresies" book 1, chapter 10)

[b]Isn't this precious??!![/b]

Satan knows how to manipulate children. He also knows how to manipulate the children of God if they will let him do it. O please see that the sheep are wandering and scattered. We must protect them. We must let Jesus give us the wisdom to lead them.

The church today not only disagrees with brothers in other countries, we can't get along with the ones down the street!

Is this because we all need to lay down the need for doctrine? Of course not. On the day of Pentecost, like hungry children they sat at the feet of the apostles learning of the doctrine of Christ.

Quote:
Matthew 11:28-30

This was huge for me! This Scripture had been presented to me another time when I was transacting business with God, and Jesus gave It to me again when I came to consider Who my Lord is. I plucked out the key words when I wrote a testimony to another dear heart:

"labour, heavy laden rest. yoke meek lowly rest.
yoke easy burden light".

Meek and lowly.

WIthout making this post much longer, I just want to say that I really appreciate you sharing these verses the Lord revealed to your heart. I want you to know that I will be meditating on them and taking them to heart. You are truly a blessing. Thank you for sharing this.

Quote:
If a mans Christianity didnt work out, it wasnt worth having, no matter how correct its logic or how orthodox its theology.

I guess I don't understand this statement. I can be guilty of jumping to conclusions, so please enlighten me. Does this say that we should reject clear teaching of Scripture because it doesn't work out for us, or is inconvenient? Please help me understand.

Quote:
I believe Jesus. He walked the earth, He was crucified as an atonement offering for the sin of humankind. He died and was raised from the dead three days later. He provides relief and succor for burdened sinners, and if they believe in and on Him, they will have life everlasting.

Thats my Lord, thats my theology.

That's the Bible.

Quote:
Tonight at 8 PST, I'm going to my knees and pray over the seven penitential psalms, Ps 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 143. I want to ask God to reveal something to me out of them, would you (or anyone else) care to join me in the air with Jesus?

I would love to read these and meditate upon them. I can't promise a time frame because of responsibilities to family and congregation, but great thought. I want to do it.

God bless you, dear brother.

RT

2005/6/17 18:22Profile

Re:

ReceivedText,

Amen my brother... you are so right on the money.

Krispy

2005/6/20 14:24
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Brothers .... Brothers.

Think that says it all...
You guys have just made my day and then some.
And to see Krispy on top of that... 8-)

2005/6/20 14:49Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy