SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : I Talk Back to the Devil!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

I Talk Back to the Devil!

[b]I Talk Back to the Devil![/b]

“The devil makes it his business to keep Christians in bondage, bound and gagged, actually imprisoned in their own grave clothes!”
WHY DOESN’T THE OLD DEVIL, SATAN, give up and bow out of the picture when a person becomes a believing Christian?

Although he is a dark and sinister foe dedicated to the damnation of humans, I think he knows that it is no use trying to damn a forgiven and justified child of God who is in the Lord’s hands.

So, it becomes the devil’s business to keep the Christian’s spirit imprisoned. He knows that the believing and justified Christian has been raised up out of the grave of his sins and trespasses. From that point on, Satan works that much harder to keep us bound and gagged, actually imprisoned in our own grave clothes.

He knows that if we continue in this kind of bondage, we will never be able to claim our rightful spiritual heritage. He knows also that while we continue bound in this kind of enslavement we are not much better off than when we were spiritually dead.

This is one reason why the Christians in today’s churches are behaving like a flock of frightened sheep—so intimidated by the devil that we can’t even say “Amen”!

I admit that occasionally you find a few who are just childishly happy about everything, but that is not what I mean. Often these are just like children playing in the market places, having never been seriously engaged in the conflict on the spiritual battlefield.

Show me an individual or a congregation committed to spiritual progress with the Lord, interested in what the Bible teaches about spiritual perfection and victory, and I will show you where there is strong and immediate defiance by the devil!

AWT

2005/6/14 10:37Profile

Re: I Talk Back to the Devil!

This is a great title, but I think one has to know what one's doing with it...

Quote:
I admit that occasionally you find a few who are just childishly happy about everything, but that is not what I mean. Often these are just like children playing in the market places, [b]having never been seriously engaged in the conflict on the spiritual battlefield[/b].

There is something wonderful about being 'childishly happy about everything'. Can an element of this be retained, [i]and[/i] real growth take place? 'Victory' is an individual pursuit, even though we may pursue it together. I cannot fetch your victory and you cannot fetch mine.

1 John 2
13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him [that is] from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him [that is] from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
15 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Quote:
Show me an individual or a congregation committed to spiritual progress with the Lord, interested in what the Bible teaches about spiritual perfection and victory..'

Isn't this the crunch? Strong leadership of a congregation can interfere with growth, unless it is brave and forward-looking, encouraging and supporting flock-members as they face personal battles and then allowing them to follow the callings of God on their lives. There may be a choice between church life and other life expected, when more of a [i]balance[/i] between them would be mutually beneficial.

I wonder whether sometimes there is a mutual fear of spiritual 'success' because first it requires seriousness about overcoming sin and then, one may be called to apparently greater conflict and sacrifice.

2005/7/2 20:03
jeremyhulsey

Re: I Talk Back to the Devil!

crsschk,

Do you have the book by that title? That's one of the best books I've ever read.

2005/7/2 20:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy