SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The years of abundance and the years of famine

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

The years of abundance and the years of famine

"Behold, there come seven years of great plenty throughout all the land of Egypt: And there shall arise after them seven years of famine; and all the plenty shall be forgotten in the land of Egypt; and the famine shall consume the land; And the plenty shall not be known in the land by reason of that famine following; for it shall be very grievous." (Genesis 41:29-31)

Likewise, I think, that we who are in the Western world or free world (and perharps many other countries, where I have never been) have "years of abundance". Abundance of bread, abundance of peace (thank God!), abundance of wealth, of churches, of freedom (freedom to preach, to pray, to speak almost anywhere about Christ, freedom to worship anytime you want) etc. How long will it continue? I do not know for sure but I think it will be different with every country. But what shall we do about this years of abundance? And how should we prepare best for the years of famine?

Joseph says: "Let them gather all the food of those good years that come, and lay up corn under the hand of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities. And that food shall be for store to the land against the seven years of famine, which shall be in the land of Egypt; that the land perish not through the famine." (Genesis 41: 35,36)

What about us? How do we best prepare? Such years come not only to whole nations but also to individuals. So, I don't know where are you. Perhaps you are passing through "years of famine" and you can share your experience and burden with us, we can carry each other's load and pray for each other. Or you may be in your "years of abundance" and you can feed the needy, encourage the downcast. This way or the other we must do something about it. We cannot afford to miss and misuse the years of abundance, for it will have very grave consequences.

For me personally, the "years of abundance" are the years and freedom we have now in the West (also in spiritual things), the years of being single and of financial freedom God has given me (because God has provided more than enough for me through a scholarship). So, I know this things won't be there forever and the plenty of time and ressources (spiritual and financial) that now I have won't be always there. But God will be always there!

One thing, I was told, is good to do during this time is to study carefully the Bible and pray. And... I guess it is something natural for youths to want "to do" something, to put your energy into something. So I tried to be part of some projects outside of the church and I saw I did not have the grace to do that. So I stopped. And I realize, I really have to pray about it ... not just what's the will of the Lord for my life, but what should I do and how should I best spent my time during the "years of abundance", so that I may be well prepared for the "years of famine", persecution and war that are coming.

Perhaps you can share what kind of "years" are you passing (or you have passed) through and how?

"And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear" (1 Peter 1:17)

2017/4/8 11:16Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Re: The years of abundance and the years of famine

I am reminded from your post how ministries are selling survival food and that many Christians are buying them up. But what do the scriptures say?

Do Not Worry
Matthew 6:25 Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
26Look at the birds of the air: They do not sow or reap or gather into barns — and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifespan?…

Youth have a lot of energy and in the abundant times of life it is best to prepare for the lean days by being frugal with you money and belongings.

Get into the word of God and study to show yourself approved of God.

Listen to your elders, pastors, evangelist and Walk with the wise and you shall be wise. Proverbs

Pray Always.

2017/4/8 12:33Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

I did not mean it about finances primarily :) I am sorry but I did not understand your thoughts on ministries selling survival food. But I do also believe the Lord will take care of us no matter of our circumstances.

My thoughts were much more on missing opportunities to serve or to do the Lord's will or failing to be a "good steward of the manifold grace of God".

2017/4/8 12:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy