SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Distractions and Worship of Theology

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Martyr

United States

Re:

Paul walked and moved in the Spirit of freedom and life. He was not bound by exegetical bible studies. If you read Paul's letters it is not an exegetical statement, he described and taught spiritual realities, not doctrines. Most of what Paul said in his letters are not quotes from the bible (the old testament) because that was not the binding law on his heart not was it even his guide. He moved and walked in the spirit of freedom, the fullness of the what the old testament was moving towards.

In regards to spurgeon I know he spent most of his time deciphering the bible because all of his sermons (I have many collections) are exegetical sermons based around a certain biblical text. We do not see Paul doing that all that much (although he did cite it when appropriate.) Isn't that peculiar? Almost as if he received extra biblical revelation which was not extra biblical but was a reality and living word that could not come from study alone but from moving and walking in truth.

The teaching I adhere to is the truth of Christ. Christ is truth and only in and through him can any scripture be seen in the truth. Of course now we come to "Well you say this is truth but I say this is truth," this is inevitable. But the way is narrow and few there be that find it.

If you want to search the scriptures to find the things that belong to Christ go ahead, they are certainly an invaluable aid but I submit once more that the totality of Christ and His finished work are found within and without the pages of the bible. And how could it be otherwise? Did the one who created all things mask himself from being found in those things limiting himself to 66 books (73 books??)

I have read many many books and have come to the conclusion of the author of ecclestiatics that there is much weariness in it. So yes I read only the bible. Is that bad? I have the words of Christ and those who knew him. And even those do not bind me nor do I scour them to try to tie them together. Who would do such a thing? We have four varied gospels and misicellanious letters. There are differences and this is okay because the truth from them is in Christ and they point to them. Does the bible bear testimony of itself or does it bear testimony of He who is in our hearts and indeed in all of creation? Through him all things were made and in him all things hold together.

Please pardon any typos, I'm typing on my phone

2017/4/3 14:59Profile
yuehan

Re:

Just wondering out loud...

What are you guys trying to communicate to Docs?

He simply wanted to discuss the meaning of the atonement. How are you helping him towards that goal?

What are you trying to achieve here with your writings?

2017/4/3 15:08Profile
Martyr

United States

Re: yuehan

The meaning of the atonement is found in Christ, not through analysis of the scriptures.

2017/4/3 15:11Profile
yuehan

Re:

Martyr,

It is Christ who illuminates Scripture. The Word of God often chooses to work through His Word.

Also - every person I've met who loved the Lord Jesus loved His Word.

Anyway, what are you trying to achieve through your replies to Docs?

2017/4/3 15:16Profile

Re:

...Sometimes the Truth can be drowned in a multitude of words...

This us what I am communicating. Jesus who is the Truth can be lost in words of truth.

Bro Blaine

2017/4/3 15:34
docs

Re: Whas you comunicated

What you communiucated was a prideful one size fits all disdain for theologians and theology.

2017/4/3 15:45Profile
docs

Re:

/The meaning of the atonement is found in Christ, not through analysis of the scriptures./

Can Christ speak to you through His written word? If Christ Himself spoke to you about the meaning of His atonement coulkd you then go to Scripture and find the same words and meaning?

2017/4/3 15:49Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

My disdain is for the act of elevating the scriptures to the level of Lord and seeking in them eternal life. It is subtle. Jesus upbraided the Pharisees for it. My disdain is for those who turn the bible into doctrines and precepts and live by those rather than living by the Spirit if Truth.

The Word points to Him whom I love and that is why it is invaluable and precious to me. It is profitable for correction, reproof, rebuke and as a guide when taken in subjection with the Spirit of God, so yes yuehan we are in agreement on that. But it is not "How God speaks" as if He only had one means. The God who made the mouth is not void of one Himself.

The law was imperfect. The New Testament expresses it. Yet don't you consider it to be the word of God? Did God speak or create imperfection? The sacrificial system was imperfect, did God ordain something imperfect? If you take the every word is 100% true then you do not judge the bible with righteous judgement. Those who search it to form a complete doctrine miss that to which it points.

My point with that is this, the scriptures need to be taken and viewed in the revelation of Christ. Going back to the atonement you are not going to find it spelled out for you in the bible. The bible wasn't meant for that. Paul didn't hand out his letters and say "Here study these and find out about Christ." No he would go into a city with the power of God and in His wisdom speak words not of doctrines or explanations but of the sword of Truth which pierces the hearts of those who hear.

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God". It is not the bible that causes a person to hear. It is the Spirit of God, the word of God which is Christ. As it says, let him who has ears to hear listen

I would also like to point out how often in Paul's letters he urges us to read our bibles. I guarantee you in any one sermon in this website you will hear that exhortation more than in the entire new testament. The word was simply not the apostles focus, the Word was.

2017/4/3 16:03Profile
passerby

Re: The Distractions and Worship of Theology

Does the scripture prohibit religion? Do we really have to hate theology?

"Simplicity and purity of our devotional relationship to Christ" _ This is a beautiful statement but what really is
the biblical teaching and implementation of our devotion and relationship to Christ?

I guess we should be careful of too much analogy of our relationship to God with human affairs. Romanticization of which is sacred will not bring us closer to God, but may bury us in humanist agenda and anarchistic mess.

2017/4/3 16:05Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: The Distractions and Worship of Theology

I find this interesting:
"In the chapel at Reformed Seminary there is this 9 foot tall pulpit. It must be mounted from either side by a steep flight of stairs. The brother, who was given me a tour of the seminary, said that the pulpit symbolized the exalted Word of God. And those who sat in the chapel were to give attention to the person who broke open the word of God. This is the best pictorial representation I can see of the worship of theology. Of the worship of those theologians who stand as mediator between God and man. We accuse the Catholics of having the priest stand between them and God. Yet we have our own traditions in our own Protestant background. We exalt the Calvinistic or evangelical pastor who is trained in scripture exposition as one who must break open the word of God. The evangelical pastor stands as mediator between God and man."

I have been told this is one issue the early Anabaptist taught against: the elevation of the pastor above the people. Since they believed in the priesthood of the Believer they believed the pastor should not be on an elevated platform as you described.

I agree with your article. It is unnerving to me when I challenge someone on some Biblical issue they will say, "I have to go ask my pastor about it." They never assume the clear reading of the WORD as being authoritative.

Sandra

2017/4/3 16:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy