Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
savannah

The Insanity of God

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.insanityofgodmovie.com

2017/3/20 8:54Profile

Re: The Insanity of God

I have seen the movie. The movie is a documentation of the persecuted church. It is based on the book by Nick Ripken. In the book and movie, he interviews those who have gone through persecutions for the Lord Jesus. And how they have endured.

Nick also shares his own experiences of being a missionary in Somalia. And even having to pay the price of losing his son.

The movie is well worth seeing. Both the book, the Insanuty of God and the Insanity of Obedience by Nick Ripken are well worth reading.

But then I am drawn to anything that has to do with our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ.

Bro Blaine

2017/3/20 9:06

Re: ReReview of the insanity of God by the Gospel Coalition.

Below is an article written by Mark Morris of the Gospel Coalition reviewing the insanity of God.

I am safe. I am secure. And I am free as a Christian living in North America. So what should I do about my Christian brothers suffering daily around the world?

Obviously we should pray the persecution ceases, right? We should at least write our Member of Congress or Senator, correct? Shouldn’t we take up the cause, start a nonprofit, and raise some funds?

Not necessarily, says Nik Ripken, a leading expert on the persecuted church in Muslim contexts and missions veteran of 25 years. For The Insanity of God, Nik and his wife Ruth spent a dozen years interviewing more than 700 persecuted Christians. Most of those interviews were conducted among the persecuted in their homelands. According to Ripken’s data, the persecuted neither pray for nor expect persecution to cease. So why am I entreating God on behalf of the persecuted in a manner contrary to the way they pray for themselves?

Don’t Pray It Away

Ripken plainly states, “I have never encountered a mature believer living in persecution who asked us to pray that their persecution would cease.” Instead the focused prayer of the persecuted is “that they would be faithful and obedient through their persecution and suffering.”

As an American with dozens of Bibles collecting dust on my shelf, I struggle to fathom the pastor who owns only one book of the Bible. I’m talking about only Psalms or Leviticus—not both. Ripken recounts an event in which one Bible was carefully torn apart and distributed so that each pastor departed joyfully with his first and only portion of Scripture. By carefully retelling such experiences and capturing hundreds of interviews, Ripken destroyed my experiential knowledge of normal Christianity.

I lived and worked as a missionary among unreached people groups in dangerous, highly restricted nations. I spent a devastating six months negotiating the release of my American team members being held hostage. I know Ripken’s world, but only to a degree.

Even from my front-row perspective in the arena of persecution I cannot self-transmigrate into the psyche of a father gathering his wife and children just prior to his arrest. Ripken interviewed that pastor’s son, Stoyan, who described his dad’s final words: “If I am in prison and I hear that my wife and my children have been hung to death rather than deny Jesus, I will be the most proud man in that prison.”

But, we’re tempted to ask, what is the solution to erasing the persecution of Christians? Ripken writes, “If our goal is reducing persecution, that task is easily achieved. First, just leave Jesus alone. Second, if you do happen to find him, just keep him to yourself.”

Persecution of Believers Is Normal

Ripken demonstrates through hellacious experiences in Mogadishu and from interviews in 72 countries that persecution is both normal and expected—thus dubbing the book The Insanity of God.

I cringe at Ripken’s title as much as I despise the notion that persecution is normal. God is not insane, though one may perceive him as such. And persecution is not normal—at least not in my church, my city, or my nation.

It seems insane that God’s chosen, effective servants thrive under persecution. Yet numerous interviewees insisted, often with their fingers jabbing at Ripken’s chest, that there is no such thing as a lack of Christian freedom. There is never a lack of freedom to preach the gospel, regardless of statutory restrictions.

This Is Personal, Not Simply Hagiographic

The strength of The Insanity of God is that it is highly personal. Ripken normalizes the absurdity—even the insanity—of God’s ways. Unlike so many publications about Christian suffering, this book doesn’t press the reader to join a campaign or collect funds for a cause. Ripken demands much more.

The book’s great weakness is that, at least for now, the author dare not reveal many details of his 12-year sociological study. Without open access to the raw data, of course, scholars could discount the book with smirks and demands to see the records. I assume that to prove the data is to put lives at risk, even more so than occurred with the initial interviews. For what it’s worth, Ripken’s stories and interview accounts seem consistent with other isolated reports.

Ripken is a skillful, Kentuckian storyteller. He wraps the interviews around his own pilgrimage as a rural farm boy, turned Africa missionary, turned distraught aid worker in Mogadishu, turned witness to the murder of his congregation, turned mourning father who buried his young son on the mission field. Ripken is scarred from the hell of Somalia and the tragic loss of his son. His research and stories bleed of brokenness, and the book personifies his restoration from absolute and complete devastation.

Don’t read this book for resolution. Don’t read this book to get answers. Read it and you will be shaken by the conflict.

So What?

I'm church planting in inner-city Memphis, where the senior pastor of our young church invites me to preach about once per month. As a white man, I struggle when our black congregation talks back to me. If my sermon connects, a sweet lady shouts, “So what, preacher?” I know her words are supposed to be emboldening and affirming, but I’m regularly left bumbling when she hollers anything at me mid-sermon. Likewise, Ripken leaves me inept to answer the haunting question.

“So what, preacher?”

If persecution is normal, then so what about my life?

Stoyan is one of those children who witnessed soldiers carting his father, a pastor, off to prison. Stoyan persisted with Jesus, even without a father. When Ripken interviewed this young minister, Stoyan’s penetrating words resonated through the book. “Don’t you ever give up in freedom what we would never give up in persecution.”

-----------------------------------------

Mark Morris is director for the Advance of Nontraditional Church Partnership at the International Mission Board. Mark and his wife Cindy served 14 years as missionaries and roughly the same number of years in mission leadership in North American churches. Mark holds a DMin from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, where he is completing his PhD. Connect with Mark at Mission Leader Inc, email him at [email protected], or follow him on Twitter.

Bro Blaine

2017/3/20 9:13
savannah

Re: The Insanity of God

Dorothy said,

"There's no place like home...there's no place like home...there's no place like home..."

This film asks,

"Is Jesus worth it...is Jesus worth it...is Jesus worth it..."

No christian would answer no... But...

...what does your life show?

2017/3/25 17:59Profile

Re:

A very good thought, provoking, convicting question. Do I need to answer that now.😊

Bro Blaine

2017/3/25 19:04
savannah

Re: 100%

As you very well know, that question is not to be answered on a forum.

Truth is...we're answering it every day!

As christians, the question we ask ought not to be, "Can I Lord", because we all know that all things are lawful (excepting sin). We also know that all things are not profitable.

As slaves of Jesus, bond-slaves that is, we are not our own. So we ought to approach all things with this attitude, "If my Lord wills, I'll do this or that, or go here or there." Other than this, we're boasting and full of the pride of life, which is all evil.

As one man put it, "Doctrine is not a matter of the tongue, but of the life."

He is our life! Colossians 3

2017/3/25 19:27Profile

Re:

___As one man put it, "Doctrine is not a matter of the tongue, but of the life___

___He is our life! Colossians 3___

Indeed. To the persecuted believers, Christ is ALL life. That is how they survive and even thrive in the midst of affliction and suffering.

To the American believers. Christ is only part of their life.

Need I say any more? Actually, I need to ask myself the question is Christ really my life, or is He only part of my life? Again, a very thought provoking and convicting question to myself.

Bro Blaine

2017/3/25 20:23
savannah

Re: question

"Actually, I need to ask myself the question..."

Each of us need to do just that!

And it is only a question God Himself will have to give us an answer to!

Because, as Jesus said to Peter when he asked about John,

"What is that to you, you follow me."

2017/3/25 22:19Profile

Re:

Yep. Can't argue with that.

Bro B.

2017/3/25 23:50
savannah

Re: twice is not enough

Watched the Documentary this morning for the second time with 3 others.

Twice is not enough!

The others who watched were speechless. One found himself asking if he was even a christian.

It's that powerful!

I ask myself, "Now what."

Please get a copy of this DVD and watch it for yourself.

2017/4/8 18:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy