SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Nakedness =Holiness?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

Nakedness =Holiness?

Does nakedness equal holiness? This was a statement made by pastor at a conference back in July 2014.

I don't accept this statement, but I cannot find anything in scripture either to prove or disprove that this statement is true, or not true.

Could anyone help please. I would be grateful.

Thank you.

2017/3/14 11:48Profile
dfella

Canton, Michigan

Re: Nakedness =Holiness?

Enid:

No where in scripture is nakedness ever equated with holiness.

Revelation 3:17-18 KJV Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: (18) I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Revelation 16:15 KJV Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

It wasn't until Adam and Eve sinned in the garden that nakedness was even an issue but once they sinned their eyes were opened and they hid themselves because they were ashamed.

The scriptures above in no way hint to holiness, rather it is the lack of a covering that one would be found in shame.
There is much more to the topic of nakedness, covering, and being clothed with a Godly garment and goes beyond the physical.

I trust you get the point and will let others expound if they are so lead.

2017/3/14 13:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

1 Corinthians 11:10 New International Version (NIV)

10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[a] head, because of the angels.

Isaiah 6:2 New International Version (NIV)

2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.

2017/3/14 13:25Profile

HI Enid,

I have heard the term nakedness before in the context of holiness. Not sure what sermon you are alluding to but the context in which I have heard it is in a spiritual context, not a physical nakedness. So, in that case, the word naked could be interchangeable with transparent.......bro Frank

Heb 4:13  Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 

2017/3/14 14:08
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

It is hard to make a judgement based upon on statement, but that seems such an odd statement. Adam and Eve were naked in the garden, but that had nothing to do with determining whether they were sinless or not. It was their knowledge of their nakedness that was evidence that they had sinned. Knowing they were naked was a result of sin, not the cause of anything.

When we are in our glorified body at Christ's return, we might ask the question, "Will we wear clothes?" I am not sure, but my guess is not in the sense of physical, earthy clothes. Scripture says that we long to be clothed upon with His glory. There will be no sin in heaven. We will be holy and pure, not only in spirit, but in glorified flesh as well. But we will not be "naked" in the human sense of the word. We will wear His glory.

2017/3/14 14:18Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Thanks for the replies.

I've never considered it a godly comment to make.

I think what he was referring to was the fact that Adam and Eve were naked, and it wasn't until after they sinned that they realised that they were naked.

As it is, in the book of Revelation, it speaks of us being clothed.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

2017/3/14 14:20Profile
savannah

Does nakedness equal holiness?

NO.

NAKEDNESS

na'-ked, na'-ked-nes:

"Naked" in the Old Testament represents various derivatives of `ur and `arah chiefly, `arom (adj.) and `erwah (noun); in the New Testament the adjective is gumnos, the noun gumnotes, with verb gumneteuo, in 1 Corinthians 4:11. In Exodus 32:25; 2 Chronicles 28:19, the King James Version adds para`, "break loose," "cast away restraint." Both the Greek and Hebrew forms mean "without clothing," but in both languages they, are used frequently in the sense of "lightly clad" or, simply, "without an outer garment." So, probably, is the meaning in John 21:7--Peter was wearing only the chiton (see DRESS); and so perhaps in Mark 14:51,52 and Micah 1:8. In Isaiah 20:2-4, however, the meaning is literally (for the "three years" of Isaiah 20:3 see the commentaries). So in Genesis 2:25; 3:7, where the act of sin is immediately followed by the sense of shame (see Delitzsch, Biblical Psychology, and Gunkel, at the place). A very common use of "naked" is also "without proper clothing" (Job 22:6; 1 Corinthians 4:11, etc.), whence, of course, the expression "clothe naked." "Nakedness," in addition, is used as an euphemism in 1 Samuel 20:30. A slightly different euphemistic usage is that of Leviticus 18:19, which in Ezekiel 16:36,37 is played off against the literal sense (compare Ezekiel 22:10; 23:18,29). The point of Genesis 9:22,23 is a little hard to grasp, but apparently there is here again an euphemism--this time for a particularly horrible act (see the commentaries and compare Habakkuk 2:15). Possibly some of these euphemisms are due to the Massoretes (see TEXT OF THE OLD TESTAMENT). The Jews objected vigorously to exposure of the body (even athletes insisting on a loin-cloth (compare 2 Macc 4:12,13)), and compulsory nudity was the extreme of shame and humiliation (Isaiah 20:2-4; Lamentations 1:8; Hosea 2:3; Nahum 3:5, etc.). The relation of this attitude to Israel's high sexual morality needs no explanation. Easton

HOLINESS

Freedom from sin, or the conformity of the heart to God. It does not consist in knowledge, talents, nor outward ceremonies of religion, but hath its seat in the heart, and is the effect of a principle of grace implanted by the Holy Spirit, Eph. ii. 8, 10. John iii. 5. Rom. vi. 22. It is the essence of happiness and the basis of true dignity, Prov. iii. 17. Prov. iv. 8. It will manifest itself by the propriety of our conversation, regularity of our temper, and uniformity of our lives. It is a principle progressive in its operation, Prov. iv. 18. and absolutely essential to the enjoyment of God here and hereafter, Heb. xii. 14. Charles Buck

2017/3/14 14:58Profile
proudpapa

Re:

"Does nakedness equal holiness?"

I can not think of any Scriptures that teach this.

But Being naked and unaware is the way that the Scripture speaks of innocence.

But innocence is not equal to holiness.

2017/3/14 15:34Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Nakedness & the Holiness of God by Tim Keller

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=22141&commentView=itemComments

2017/3/14 22:57Profile
joliboy11

Philippines

Re:

No, at most. But it can be used in a positive sense:

Art Katz said on Mystery of Marriage (book):

"By necessity, intimate union requires that you come nakedly. There is no other way. You have got to come without concealment, you have got to come trembling, and you have got to come hearing the call of deep unto deep. If we come with so much as a covering, then what kind of a relationship and what kind of intimate union is that going to be? We must come not just once, but continually. It should never become a drudge. We are coming for a renewing and a re-enactment of a loving union. It should never the same, never mechanical, never dull, but always unique. There is no limit to the knowledge of God. There is no limit to the penetration of the depths of His infinity. Every time you come to Him in that loving abandonment, you touch and sense new depths in that relationship with Him and in yourself. There is never a falling back to where you were; you are raised from height to height in that loving relationship with Him who bids us come. It is something alive and creative and new every time. It begins in hopeful expectancy, and it goes on in deepened confidence to new expectancies again and again."

But I don't think he is referring to holiness per se...

2017/3/15 0:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy