Discussion Forum : General Topics : Lent: Saturday - March 11

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Lent: Saturday - March 11

Saturday - March 11

"If we can only start to make sacrifices in the small things…then it will be much easier to say no to the world and the flesh when we have to make big decisions." - Dr. K.P. Yohannan

O God, by your Word you marvelously carry out the work of reconciliation: Grant that in our Lenten fast we may be devoted to you with all our hearts, and united with one another in prayer and holy love; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Scripture Readings:

Deuteronomy 26:16–19

Concluding Exhortation
This very day the Lord your God is commanding you to observe these statutes and ordinances; so observe them diligently with all your heart and with all your soul. Today you have obtained the Lord’s agreement: to be your God; and for you to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, his commandments, and his ordinances, and to obey him. Today the Lord has obtained your agreement: to be his treasured people, as he promised you, and to keep his commandments; for him to set you high above all nations that he has made, in praise and in fame and in honor; and for you to be a people holy to the Lord your God, as he promised.

Psalm 119:1–8

The Glories of God’s Law
Happy are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the Lord.
Happy are those who keep his decrees,
who seek him with their whole heart,
who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways.
You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
O that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous ordinances.
I will observe your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me.

Matthew 5:43–48

Love for Enemies
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

2017/3/11 7:53Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re: Lent: Saturday - March 11

I like the scriptures you posted. But "Lent"? Is that in the Bible? Would you be so kind as to share with me chapter and verse, please? Thank you.

2017/3/11 10:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Brother,

Since the earliest times of the Church, there is evidence of some kind of Lent preparation for Easter.

"The dispute is not only about the day, but also about the actual character of the fast. Some think that they ought to fast for one day, some for two, others for still more; some make their 'day' last 40 hours on end. Such variation in the observance did not originate in our own day, but very much earlier, in the time of our forefathers" (Eusebius, History of the Church, V, 24). - Irenaeus (203 AD)

This clearly shows it was a practice done by all of the Church by 200 AD so if it was written like this it would be much earlier probably AD 120-150 or even by the Apostles themselves.

It is part of the Church Calendar, the early believers removed annually the birth and death, resurrection of Jesus Christ and centered all the changing of the seasons around the Scriptures and the incarnation of God. This is very normal for jewish believers as annual jewish events, memorials and festivals were the heart of Old Testament belief and a way for believers to remember the important truths God conveyed.

2017/3/11 10:40Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Edit :
I am removing my post and starting a new thread as to not side track a devotion thread and turn it into a debate thread.

2017/3/11 19:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy