SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "The Shack" movie

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
TMK wrote
I think the story and message in the book is so strong that I can overlook some of the theologically iffy areas (in my view, perhaps not others') so as not to let it ruin the story. Once again, the main gist of the novel is to try to convey the heart and love of God towards people, especially in times of great tragedy.

My big takeaway is that God wants to be far closer to me than I have ever allowed Him to be, either because I am afraid, or because I don't know how.

Exactly! In the movie, I understood God to say to the father, "I didn't orchestrate the man taking your daughter but I will walk with you through this to the end if you will let me, I love you, will you let me?"

God goes out of His way to love us if we will only let Him.

2017/3/5 11:40Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: "The Shack" movie

I can't believe the judgmentalness of people who haven't even read the book or seen the movie... it's unbelievable.

2017/3/5 11:42Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Lisa, the flesh loves to judge, and remember our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Yes believe it or not, even Christians leave the door open at times, I know I do. :-)

2017/3/5 12:28Profile
leyoung

Re:

Bros and sisters,
I'm glad this is being discussed. As a woman I can and have been emotionally touched and swayed (and deceived)by a powerful story. The Christian author of 'The Shack' says it is a fictional account. However fictional accounts which depict God need to be true to the biblical God. If they are not then the story is wasted no matter how emotionally poignant it is.

I respect so many of you here and I see a very dangerous red line being crossed by some for the sake of a redemptive story.
I was raised in a false religion that maligns the true nature of the God of the Bible (Mormonism). To this day my nostalgic emotions can pull me back into a state of mushy theology to try and rationalize so many whom I Iove who are still rejecting Jesus Christ, but I am snapped back into reality by reading the Word of God.

I no longer want to be ruled by emotions, this is where the heart can be desperately wicked. God will bring enough overwhelming love to sustain us and when we don't FEEL anything we can be assured that He is still with us because He says so in His Word.

More and more I see Christians being led by emotions rather than Truth. I am not angry, except at the enemy of our souls. I am frightened that so many of us get so snookered into error by our emotional judgments.

I liked what Savannah said, Even a dog knows when his master is being attacked. We have to stay ready in season and out to speak the truth in love.
The Apostle Paul warned the church near the end of his life, "Preach the Word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all patience and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away from truth, and shall be turned to fables, but watch yourself in ALL things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of your ministry." 2 Timothy 4:2-5

The Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirits. Grace be with you! Amen

2017/3/5 12:35Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Taken from William Paul Young's own website.

Regarding his new book, 'Lies people believe about God'. These are what he considers to be lies......

“God wants to use me.”
“God is in control.”
“God is a prude.”
“God does not submit.”
“Death is more powerful than God.”
“Hell is separation from God.”
“Sin separates us from God.”
“God is disappointed in me.”
And more!

So he does not believe God is in control, Hell and sin do not seperate us from God and that God submits!

I would keep well away from anything this man has to do with.

2017/3/5 13:06Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I have not seen the movie, I heard it's fiction, not that that is any cop out, but it is fiction. I surly won't mention here, that I watched O God with John Denver and George Burns and Teri Garr. :-)

2017/3/5 13:06Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Bill,

I think you are missing the point. The film purports to be Christian and is aimed at and endorsed by evangelicals. The fact it is fiction is not an excuse for misrepresenting God. I know of one younf Christisn who read the book and ended up with a wrong view of God and has made shipwreck of their faith.

Regrading being judgmental, I find that a bit ironic, in that I understand that the author projects God as non judgemental! Has he already influenced his audience?

2017/3/5 13:37Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Allegories about God that actually harm the clarity of truth of who God is, who Jesus is and the gospel are harmful allegories.

Of the gospel, the Shack says, “All I want from you is to trust me with what little you can, and grow in loving people around you with the same love I share with you. It's not your job to change them, or to convince them. You are free to love without an agenda.”

However, of this, the Bible says, "Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences." 2 Cor. 5:11

Of the Holy Spirit, The Shack says, “I," she [the Holy Spirit] opened her hands to include Jesus and Papa, "I am a verb. I am that I am. I will be who I will be. I am a verb! I am alive, dynamic, ever active and moving. I am a being verb. And as my very essence is a verb, I am more attuned to verbs than nouns. Verbs such as confessing, repenting, living, loving, responding, growing, reaping, changing, sowing, running, dancing, singing, and on and on. Humans, on the other hand, have a knack for taking a verb that is alive and full of grace and turning it into a dead noun or principle that reeks of rules. Nouns exist because there is a created universe and physical reality, but the universe is only a mass of nouns, it is dead. Unless 'I am' there are no verbs and verbs are what makes the universe alive.”

Of the Holy Spirit, the Bible (some manuscripts) says, "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." 1 John 5:7. Of JESUS, the Bible says --- all known translations --- "1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our own eyes, which we have gazed upon and touched with our own hands—this is the Word of life. 2And this is the life that was revealed; we have seen it and testified to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us. 3We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And this fellowship of ours is with the Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ..". 1 John 1:1-3; AND "1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:1-5.

The Holy Spirit is never revealed as the Word --- no matter what silly parts of speech analogy one may assign to Him. The Shack convolutes the identity and nature of the Son, regardless of what else it does. The what else it does that may be perceived as good which is exactly what makes it dangerous and less an allegory and more of an elaborate and sweetly told lie. The Holy Sprit is not a verb. In fact, He is, indeed, described in what The Shack calls 'dead nouns'. Jesus used at least two such 'dead nouns' to describe Him --- "Comforter" and "promise of the Father." He is a person. Verbs are ideas, expressions. The Holy Spirit is not an idea or a mere expression. He is the person whose work (ok, THAT is a verb) is to testify of Jesus Christ. If the testimony of the Spirit is true, He testifies that Jesus is the Word. He does not ascribe such language to Himself. In The Shack, this figure of the Holy Spirit lies, saying of himself or herself that "I am a word, verbs." It is a reckless muddying of the biblical revelation of God, specifically the marring of the person of the Son, His ministry and the overall nature and person of God.

Just because a thing is not overtly and blatantly hostile in its stated intent does not reduce by one little iota the falsity and perversion of biblical truth it may wring out of itself. The Shack, book, movie, soundtrack, whatever, is a lie from hell that would compare itself to allegories such as Pilgim's Progress.

People can do with it what you will. You can sweeten a bowl of dung with five pounds of sugar and a chocolate gravy but it is still a bowl of dung.

2017/3/5 13:39Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote: "Regarding his new book, 'Lies people believe about God'. These are what he considers to be lies......

“God wants to use me.”
“God is in control.”
“God is a prude.”
“God does not submit.”
“Death is more powerful than God.”
“Hell is separation from God.”
“Sin separates us from God.”
“God is disappointed in me.”

I would have to see the context of what he means (i.e. read the book, before I could make any snap judgment of these statements. I could come up with a reasonable explanation of how each are lies, at least in some way, with minimal effort.

“God wants to use me.” (rather, he wants to have a relationship with me)
“God is in control.” (Rather, God allows free will)
“God is a prude.” (God created sex)
“God does not submit.” (Jesus submitted to the Father).
“Death is more powerful than God.” (this one is obviously a lie)
“Hell is separation from God.” (God is omnipresent; Rom 8:38-39)
“Sin separates us from God.” (The prodigal son)
“God is disappointed in me.” (the prodigal son)

2017/3/5 13:43Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Dave, I have not seen the movie, but my movie buff buddy has, and always seems to be a critic of most of the movies he watches, this was his opinion, not mine:

I've read this book 3 times and figured that the movie wouldn't be as good, but I was wrong. LOVED it. I've never seen nor read anything that portrayed the love of God for all of humanity in such an amazing way. A large focus of this movie is on forgiving others even those that we feel have done horrible, unforgivable things. God is portrayed as both a female and a male, for the simple fact that the main character had deep hurts from his past that initially wouldn't have allowed him to be open to accepting a "male" God. (Jesus is male throughout the entire movie, however) It also reminds us that while a pain-free life is non-existent, we're able to overcome the evil in this world by trusting in God, because He is always there in the midst of things, working towards good.

It reminds us to have compassion (rather than hatred) towards others because "brokenness goes all the way back to Adam". We weren't created to be judges of good and evil- we were created to experience relationship with God. I completely agree with all of this, and am having a hard time understanding all of the negativity surrounding it. I can't imagine anyone watching it and not having a strong desire to experience God's love and share it with other people. If there are small details that aren't 100% Biblical, please remember that this is a work of fiction, and at no time has anyone claimed it to be otherwise. I can speak from personal experience though; both the book and the movie are life-changing. God can sort out the small stuff if He sees fit. Please don't form an opinion either way BEFORE watching, and PLEASE watch It. It hurts my heart that some people will miss out on all of the positive things that this movie has, and all of the good things that it can lead them towards, because of the negative press associated with it.

The Bible tells us that we won't have a full understanding of the “mystery of God" in this lifetime, and this movie stirs up such a desire to know more about God and to develop a deeper relationship with Him. Anything that stirs up that kind of hunger shouldn’t be discredited. In my opinion, if you can't get past the fact that a fictional story doesn't depict the Godhead (something that we can't possibly fully understand) exactly as you understand it, maybe the problem isn't the story...

2017/3/5 13:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy