SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "The Shack" movie

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Such movies are some of the biggest attacks on Christianity.
They seem to have a "form of godliness..." and as a result 20 million copies were sold and the people deceived.

The bible says: Matthew 7:14 But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it.
Only few find it...

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.(2 Timothy 3)
Those times are now here.

Matthew 7v15Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?…

Only the Bible is inspired by God and we need to read the Word to find the answers to our questions in life and ask the HS to help us.

2017/3/4 15:47
Theophila

Re:

I read the book when it came out.
It's not often that I feel like I fell into a cesspool.
Like Dan Brown's books [also read], it is a well-written not-so-subtle attack on Christianity. No surprise it's sold like hotcakes [what are those?!]
When I asked a dear sister how she could bear the First and Third Persons of the Godhead, being portrayed as women, she thought the author was just trying to remove our unnecessarily "religious notions" about God! I calmly reminded that throughout Scripture, the Lord refers to Himself as a He.

These are perilous times are indeed....

2017/3/4 19:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Tolu-- I am not sure that you read the book very carefully because your statement that it is a "not so subtle attack on Christianity" is ridiculous.

First, this statement makes a judgment that the author, William Young, is not a Christian which is simply not true. He claims to be a believer and there is no reason to think that he is not. Have you read any of his own statements regarding this book? If he is a true Christian, which neither you nor I have any reason to doubt, why would he write a book that is an out and out attack on Christianity?

Your primary problem seems to be that God revealed Himself to the main character as a black matronly female. The key term here is "reveal." The book no where makes the claim that God is a female and to say it does is a lie. In the story, the main character, Mack, had a drunken father who beat him and his mother mercilessly. In the story it is brought out that Mack cannot draw near to God because of his experience with his own father. So God chose to reveal himself to Mack as a non-threatening black woman. Who are we to say how God might reveal himself? The dear sister you referenced is absolutely correct.

It is important to determine the ground on which Young’s detractors, like yourself, are standing. Are you saying that the Father is male? Or are you saying that the Father should only be depicted as male?

If the claim is that the Father simply is male, then it is the detractors and not the author of The Shack who have moved beyond the pale of orthodoxy. Standard Christian theology states that God is neither male nor female. Orthodoxy should applaud the statement coming from Young’s Father figure in chapter 6 when he states, “I am neither male nor female, even though both genders are derived from my nature” (p. 93).

If the Father is not essentially male, then one must wonder on what basis the Father must only be depicted as male. It’s not as if The Shack is stubborn in its insistence on making the Father a female. Young goes out of his way not only to provide reasons for his choice, but ultimately the Father character is revealed through a male image. Papa (now appearing as a dignified, older male) states, “Forgiving your dad yesterday was a significant part of your being able to know me as Father today” (221).

Once again, this is a FICTIONAL NOVEL. It is a story about a man's journey of pain and forgiveness and redemption. There is nothing in the book that is an attack on Christianity, subtle or otherwise. Nor is it a treatise on Christian doctrine.

2017/3/4 22:18Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

I did not read the book but I did see the movie today and I really liked it.

I did not see the attack on Christianity that some have seen, I saw a beautiful story of redemption.

2017/3/4 22:51Profile

Re:

I saw the movie with my wife tonight. I was touched by it. Many around us were crying. It did feel a wee bit Oprah Winfrey'ish and the universe thing. All in all, to the vast majority, I think it will be seen as a movie about redemption. I think if you compare to the movie "Manchester by the sea," then in one you see a world of despair without hope and the other redemption and healing............bro Frank

2017/3/4 23:55
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Firstly, I have neither read the book or seen the film, so my comments are purely in response to the posts on here.

God exclusively 'reveals' Himself in the bible as the patriarchal head, Father, Husband, King, etc, NEVER as a female. So if that is true, why would any Christian want to depict / 'reveal' God as matriarchal (or defend anyone who does)? Further more why on earth would any Christian want to read or watch such things when we have a wealth of good biblical resources for encouragement and instruction?

I think that either knowingly or not, we are in danger of being swept along by the spirit of the age, which is anti-patriarchal and the gender neutral lie. To say God is neither male or female, may be true in the sense God is not a Man, i.e. Human, but it plays into the transgenda lie that says there is no distinction between male and female.

2017/3/5 5:46Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yeah Dave you have to read the book.

I just re-read Exodus 3 because I wanted to double check- God revealed himself as a burning bush, not even as a person. He did not refer to himself as "father" but rather "I AM THAT I AM."

The book is not trying to dismiss or reject the fact that God is revealed in scripture as a father. I am sure the author knew he was going to get white-hot heat from lots of folks when he decided to have him revealed, in part, as a female, much more so a black female. Why do want to assign evil motives to him-- like trying to further the "transgender agenda?" The book was written quite a while back when that issue was not close to being on the front burner that it is today and it's not right to accuse him of that. Besides, like I said he was not rejecting the idea of God as Father. In my post below I even quoted: " “Forgiving your dad yesterday was a significant part of your being able to know me as Father today." That was God talking to the main character.

Are the only things you ever read or watch "biblical resources," whatever that means? If so, God bless you!

2017/3/5 7:51Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Todd,

If you read my post again, I never accused the author of deliberately seeking to futher the transgenda agenda, but I do think it plays into that agenda. To suggset it was written so long ago before was an issue is not correct, unless it was written over 50 years ago!

My comment about exclusively revealing as patriarchal is in the context of 'not female', not that He does not reveal His character in other ways. That said the point stands, why 'reveal God as female' when He never does?

Of cousre I watch and read other things other that biblical resources, but I chose NOT to read or watch things that claim to be 'Christian' that are clearly a distortion of the truth, (unless I want to research a false religion). Why would I?

2017/3/5 8:18Profile
savannah

Re: Why would I

As one man has said, and I think it applies in this case...

"Even a dog barks when his Master is being attacked".

2017/3/5 9:06Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Dave-

I can understand that. Some will read if to see what the fuss is about; some who do will not see what all the fuss is about; some will agree with some, but not all, of the fuss (which is where I stand) and some will think its the worst heresy ever put on paper.

I think the story and message in the book is so strong that I can overlook some of the theologically iffy areas (in my view, perhaps not others') so as not to let it ruin the story. Once again, the main gist of the novel is to try to convey the heart and love of God towards people, especially in times of great tragedy.

My big takeaway is that God wants to be far closer to me than I have ever allowed Him to be, either because I am afraid, or because I don't know how.

2017/3/5 11:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy